Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: If your sales guy showed up in an M5 vs. a Camry you'd think:
He must be successful!
38.66%
He must be charging me too much money.
61.34%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Sales guy shows up in an M5 vs. a Camry

Old 12-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ way to miss the point of the entire thread. it was about if you can tell if someone is good at their job by their car. Most say no. I think that's reasonable. I don't 'want' anyone to drive anything if they don't want to. I could care less what someone drives.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever happened to getting what you liked/needed versus getting things because people think you should? Live your own life people.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in sales, and always have been. The car thing can go both ways if your clients see what you drive, but it mainly depends on how YOU are as a sales rep more than anything. If you are a blowhard bragger who is quick to tell everyone how much something costs, and alienate many of your customers by acting superior to them or talking over them, the car only amplifies a negative connotation. However, if you are personable and quick thinking, it is pretty easy to downplay any comments on the car with aplomb.

For instance, I have had a few customers who have commented on my NSX when they see it, or find out I have it. Most make polite comments about it, but a few comment with the '....they must be paying you guys a lot...' line. My job is that I travel around the U.S. and set-up new tanning salons, sell them their equipment, and train their employees, then teach them how to run their businesses. I usually laugh a little and reply with something like, 'Well....I probably would not be very credible in teaching you how to be successful if I drove a rusted out Toyota,' and then I laugh again and smile. Almost 100% of the time the customer laughs, gets a look on their face like '...yep, that is probably right..' and it is no longer an issue.

In short, I firmly believe it is in how you carry yourself, and the value of what you are selling. In my line of work, I can have a single deal of several hundred thousand dollars with one customer, so these people are investing a lot of money (and often their life savings) with me. Presenting yourself well with nice clothes, vehicle, and general presentation, is a key component of securing the customers confidence. It conveys the impression that you have your stuff together. Think about it. Would YOU take financial advice from a guy who had not showered in 1 week, wore a torn T-Shirt, and drove a rust bucket that belched smoke? LOL!! Like it or not, impressions are largely visual, then amplified by your personality, and how you treat your customers (or anyone else really).
Old 12-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCVTEC,Dec 24 2009, 03:01 PM
Whatever happened to getting what you liked/needed versus getting things because people think you should? Live your own life people.
Amen to that!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 PM

I like this discussion.

Im not sure what side of the fence I'm on... I suppose in the end it all falls on the discretion of the "higher ups" at whatever your work place may be.

I always make it very clear to co-workers/friends/etc that my S2000 isn't an image thing... its a hobby/passion/love and something I enjoy on a daily basis. Thats why I bought a HONDA and not a BMW, Porsche, whatever.

There are the types that do drive "beaters" and boast about paying cash, investing in this and that, looking forward to the future, etc. If you're all about the money, so be it. If you're all about the image, thats fine as well as long as these things don't affect the quality of work (or volume/customers/etc being driven off by said qualities).

One of my dream cars is an E39 M5. If I were in a coporate/executive or even sales enviroment I think it'd be a great fit. Sure they are costly to maintain, but nowadays its just a used 20K Bimmer... not a leased E350/535i/etc. that I bought to project and maintain a "Miami" image.

The only thing I hate about it all is like the guy here on S2ki who sold his heavily modified, almost race built S2000 for a new Z4... to fit a "corporate image". Seems stupid to let your employer dictate that direction you go with your hobbies. He should have kept the S2000 and bought a used 3/C class IMO.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is awesome. CKit, I thank you for posting this. I have really enjoyed reading the opinions of others.

And for those contributing, thanks... I know the Camry is nothing to get excited over, but it works well for what I do. When I visit my dealer principals, I want them to remember the new commission structure we discussed or the bonus structure to get to their goals - and mine...NOT my car.

BTW, FWIW...when some of the dealer principals say, "Hey, how is Mark gets to drive a nice BMW M5!?" I say, "My house is bigger." They know I'm kidding around... I can afford an M5...I just can't justify it and I don't like the "status" that comes along with a car like that. Maybe that's why I the S2000 so much - NO STATUS.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCVTEC,Dec 24 2009, 12:01 PM
We're talking about work vehicles. You can "live your own life" outside of work. That's like saying you should "dress how you want to dress." Depending on your job, there may be a dress code. Depending on the job, there may be an unwritten car code. An S2ki member has a GT3, but drives a Passat to work. Another has a Lamborghini and drives an Explorer to work. I have a modified S2000... And drive a stock S2000 to work. YMMV.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive a modded S2k to work. Ya'lls can suck it
Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Dec 24 2009, 06:51 AM
My response is in the other thread but that's a load of baloney.

It all depends on the audience/clients and business type; e.g. you don't wanna over-dress for a casual party lest you look like a douche, or want to under-dress for a formal gathering lest you might be undermined.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:27 PM

I think the flashier your car or your clothes, the more important it is that you have some real value to back it up. Any substantial transaction or interaction depends heavily on the individual's actual merit. A flashy first impression only sets the person up for a harder fall if there's no substance behind it.

Quick Reply: Sales guy shows up in an M5 vs. a Camry