Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Second Child on the way, do I need a 3 row SUV?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Child on the way, do I need a 3 row SUV?

My wife and I are expecting our second child in September and have a three year old right now. We're not hauling around quite as much stuff as we were a year ago for our three year old, but if we go to our cabin etc, we're still hauling quite a bit of stuff. To all the other dads out there, in your experience is a three row SUV worth getting? Currently we have a 2004 CRV and 2013 Civic Si. The CRV has been great with one kid, but I see it getting pretty tight with two. I've been looking at Highlanders and Pilots and want to check out the new CX9.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 1,452 Likes on 974 Posts

We got a van (Quest) when Junior #2 arrived. You'll need the extra space, for all the crazy school, afterschool, sports, music practice, vacation trips, etc... down the road.

Good luck & congrats!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good experience with full length chevy suburban. Motor lasts plenty of miles and loads of space.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

If you go the 3 row SUV route just make sure the middle row has captains chairs, otherwise you likely can't access the third row (it's pretty useless then). Your other option is a minivan.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
If you go the 3 row SUV route just make sure the middle row has captains chairs, otherwise you likely can't access the third row (it's pretty useless then). Your other option is a minivan.
I have been reading and watching a lot of reviews about this, and it is mostly true but there are a couple exceptions. the Nissan pathfinder/Infiniti QX60 can be slid forward with the car seat still in place.

https://youtu.be/JKNTdY-PA4I?t=1m47s

Also, the MDX has enough room for two seats on the 60 portion which allows you to access the rear seat through the 40 portion.

https://youtu.be/7TmnVbCeFgY?t=4m23s
Old 08-03-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Cool thx for the correction Marioshi. While that configuration can work for the MDX, one thing to consider is if your kids are close in age, putting them right next to each other could mean trouble, especially if one is a baby. A friend has a new MDX and the third row is pretty tight. I was kind of surprised how cramped the interior was.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Cool thx for the correction Marioshi. While that configuration can work for the MDX, one thing to consider is if your kids are close in age, putting them right next to each other could mean trouble, especially if one is a baby. A friend has a new MDX and the third row is pretty tight. I was kind of surprised how cramped the interior was.
Yeah, I would say it would be best for occasional use. I like the pathfinder solution better, and captains chairs would be a good compromise too. I can't imagine having to fit more than 2 kids in any car... It just seems like most cars are convenient for 2 and a huge hassle for more than 2, especially if they are all in car-seats (which when you consider some state laws require them until age 8 or 80 lbs, seems pretty likely)

Another nice feature of the MDX is latch anchors in the middle seat of the 2nd row, which is not required by law and is omitted fairly often...
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No kids myself, but my cousin had one kid with a second coming and thought a Kia Sorento would be enough room. Ended up getting one of those massive Honda Pilots. Based on what I've seen around me, I'd say go for a 3 row.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

3 row, not necessary... large vehicle? yes. We have a 2015 Highlander and never use the 3rd row, but we do use the giant trunk every day. 2 kids here, 1.5 year old and 4 month old.

Second the comment about the captains chairs. I didnt think about that at first and now have fairly useless 3rd row. Other than that, we adore the highlander for what it is.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:10 AM

In my humble childless opinion, a minivan is going to be my choice when number 2 comes around. If you look at interior space vs exterior dimensions, it's the clear winner. People always assume you get a lot of space in a 3 row, but I think some 2 rows actually are more accommodating because they aren't trying to cram those extra seats in there, and even when stowed, those seats take up some space.

Quick Reply: Second Child on the way, do I need a 3 row SUV?