Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Selling car to overseas buyer ??

Old 05-14-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

If the wire transfer clears, just talk with you bank and make sure it's not reversible.

Otherwise sounds like a done deal.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Yeah, just be sure cleared is cleared. Not just that is can't be reversed, but that bank can assure you the check is legit and they won't pull the funds. Talk to a bank manager, get their name. Record date and time of conversation.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't take a check. Wired funds or no deal. Checks are where most scams seem to pivot. The Miami guy can wire the funds. Once your car is leaves your possession any leverage you have also leaves.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DrSideways
Don't take a check. Wired funds or no deal. Checks are where most scams seem to pivot. The Miami guy can wire the funds. Once your car is leaves your possession any leverage you have also leaves.
Guys...he has stated multiple times that it is a wire.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about this if the wire clears
Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

The only recommendation I would give is to prepare financially like that $13k doesn't exist. I wouldn't want it to be a scam and you're screwed. Maybe give it a good while before touching that money.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
The only recommendation I would give is to prepare financially like that $13k doesn't exist. I wouldn't want it to be a scam and you're screwed. Maybe give it a good while before touching that money.
Care to explain what can still go wrong ? I'm taking caution every step of the way to avoid that situation, and want to make sure I'm covered.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by supraken
Care to explain what can still go wrong ? I'm taking caution every step of the way to avoid that situation, and want to make sure I'm covered.
I have no idea. I'm just more thinking of worst case scenario. I've only dealt with wires when buying/selling homes and haven't had any issues.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Talk to your bank and setup whatever is required ahead of the final payment. Normally an escrow... That is banks are there for, so use their services. The transaction is normally a wire from the seller's bank. The buyer can set a pick up time past when the money is expected to be cleared. Once you get a call from the bank, he is good. If not, he'll have to reschedule or fix what went wrong. I would not be so worried.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supraken
Has anyone had experience selling their car to an overseas buyer ? My car sold on Ebay, and it turns out my buyer is in Paraguay. He paypal'ed me the deposit right away, and said that his shipper will get it shipped to FL where it will go through customs and such and eventually shipped to Paraguay.

First instinct of course is that it's a scam. However, I'm then thinking to myself, assuming I only sign over the title and hand over the car after I get cleared certified payment or wire transfer that is in the exact amount of the selling price (no overpayment BS), what else can be a risk?

I've also even asked him for a copy of his ID, which he actually has provided.

Thoughts ?
If the wire transfer clears, just talk with you bank and make sure it's not reversible.

Otherwise sounds like a done deal.

Quick Reply: Selling car to overseas buyer ??