Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

stupid NSX - look at this tire wear.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't toe-in wear the outsides?
not necessarily. If you're running camber (which I'm sure the NSX does) than you're only gonna wear out the contact patch, which is the inside of the tires.

I'll say it again because this is what I have experienced extensively when experimenting with alignments to cure tire wear issues with my s2000:

Camber will determine WHERE the wear will take place.

Toe will determine the RATE at which the wear will take place.

You can run 1.5 or 2 degrees of camber all day if you want - and if the toe is set to 0 - then there's no scrubbing - and you're tires will last a decent amount of time. Sure, they'll wear faster on the inside, but no where near as fast as if you had a 1/4" of toe set in there......
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scot,Jul 12 2006, 02:55 PM
there is not a left and right as far as i could see.... i think they are just directional.
Ok, I don't know what the difference between "[uni]directional" and asymmetrical is, but check page 162 of your owners manual:

"Tire Rotation:
You should not rotate your Acura's tires. The front and rear tires are different sizes, so they cannot be rotated front-to-rear. The original equipment tires on your Acura have a unidirectional tread pattern, so they cannot be rotated side-to-side."

I don't know if this means you can't do what you described: removing the tires and switching them, but to me it sounds like you shouldn't. If someone could elucidate the subject.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:11 PM

Unidirectional means the tread is designed for the wheel to rotate a certain direction.

Assymetric means that the tread is not the same across the cord of the tire - in other words, if you look at the tread and imagine a line splitting down the centre, the left half of the tread is different than the right half.

Unidirectional tires CANNOT be rotated left to right, but CAN forward to back. UNLESS, like on the NSX, the front tires are narrower than the rear, so you don't wanna swap front and rear.

The tires shown in the picture are unidirectional only. They can be removed from the rim, and re-installed on the opposite sides to encourage wear on the fresh shoulders of the tread.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF people.

its not cambers fault (camber wear is VERY slight. 99% of peoples claim of "camber wear yo" is result of TOE OUT, from lowering car..
they realize they have camber but have no iea that the toe changed w/ drop and their stubborn to get realigned

your car, has TOE OUT in the front as well as negative camber. and possibly underinflated.

tell them that, due to the fact they cannot print you specs from alignment rack you wish to take to a 3rd party alignment place (contact HUNTER for local align'er who uses HUNTER machines.. only take to HUNTER or VISUALINE (using lasers) machine.

demand they pay for the alignment check, and you will bring them a printout after (all these machines are capable of printout.. with

toe/camber/caster/ toe/camber/thurst angle./SAI

after you get the printout.. (dont get fixed at place.. they can just check specs for like 1/10th of alignment price.. takes 5 mins)

have it fixed at 3rd party w/ them paying..

if they dont believe this is fair contact Acura.

no car has wear like that, not even supercars.

that is strictly toe out in front wear.. you have camber oem so this also influenced increase.. the low air pressure im thinking as well due to the inside is nice and outside shows little wear as well.

let me know how it goes
Old 07-12-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once u go to the 3rd party alignment place and have a laser printout you'll see very clearly.. CRYSTAL clearly whats wrong.. and can bitch at Acura for lying to you... when they say they checked.

they just dont want to replace the Advan neovas

BTW their directional.. which means u can rotate side to side.. but only by removing tire from wheel and putting onto other side.

i "flip-flop" my tires everytime i get new wheels (5 weeks) just to maintain even wear.. i have -3F and -4.3Camber and have pretty much even wear.. this is toes fault. not camber
Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 PM

with tires that bald you DO NOT want to flip them for two reason...

1. This ish is ghetto and well you do drive a 75k dollar sports car

2. when you flip a tire that badly worn then the tread width will be decreased. so instead of a 215 up front you would have a 195, not cool. Its not like you have 0% tread on one side and 100% on the other the intire footprint is needed, it is just not being used properly. that tire looks like trash to me. throw it away get some new meats, an alignment, and learn from this.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
AP2

all i can say is WOW!...thats some crazy wear...
Old 07-13-2006, 05:52 AM

NSX's in the past were notorious for tire wear within 5000 miles. I don't know if that problem has been resolved. If you can afford an nsx, you can afford tires. Stop whining about tires, and complain about more important things like your tenants big screen tv's. Or the guys at your job that drop bombs in the bathroom at work.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had this problem with mine after a 900 mile trip to NY. The inside of the fronts were completely gone. Turns out the wheels were turning in and tucked in on themselves. Smelled tire every time I got out of the car. Thought it was just my driving . Alignment and new skins and she sticks like cat hair on black slacks.

A good alignment is key. The monkeys that did mine previously f'd it all up.

Rear tire wear is still about as bad as an S on these cars.

Also, the OEM tires are one corner only, with a rotating arrow and a side facing outwards designation. So no flippy or switchy with them.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by truths2k05,Jul 13 2006, 08:52 AM
NSX's in the past were notorious for tire wear within 5000 miles. I don't know if that problem has been resolved. If you can afford an nsx, you can afford tires. Stop whining about tires, and complain about more important things like your tenants big screen tv's. Or the guys at your job that drop bombs in the bathroom at work.
Just to prove a point.....since you seem to be acting like a dickbag....

I got the car aligned and......... the toe was all f'd up just like a few guys on the NSX board said.

-.27 left and -.24 right.... (instead of -.10-.18) which caused the tires to be scrubbed off like they were. So somehow I was correct in stating that something was wrong.

The old problem with the tires wearing out in 5k miles was the rear tires.....but hey...you were close.

Quick Reply: stupid NSX - look at this tire wear.