Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Subaru Dealer Got Me Into Another WRX

Old 04-29-2022, 01:38 PM

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,458 Posts
Default Subaru Dealer Got Me Into Another WRX

My dealer has been bugging me to buy back my leased 2019 WRX for the last while. I wasn't in need of a new vehicle and I kind of thought the new model wasn't that much of an upgrade over my current car. I wasn't expecting the dealer to come through with anything of significance but I went down to see what they had to say. I was able to test-drive a 2022 WRX and the money they offered on my 3 year old car seemed too good to pass up. The value of used cars is at a peak right now, but I suspect things could change in 8-12 months as new car production gets back on track (just my guess) ?.

The new WRX is more of an evolutionary re-design, not a huge difference overall. Many people dislike the exterior plastic parts, it doesn't bother me and I can live with it. The new motor should be making more power, but it drives a bit better than the outgoing 2L, with no dips in the powerband or funky timing stuff going on. Fuel economy is worse than my 2L motor though. The clutch and tranny are as good as ever, quite good. Handling is improved, the chassis is upgraded on a new platform and pretty stiff, and the steering feels better to me. The brakes feel a bit better, and they have ventilated rear rotors now which is cool. The interior is pretty similar to the last gen, the new infotainment screen is pretty large, the Harman Kardon sound system is impressive.

We are getting the SPT transmission though so my other family members can drive it. It shifts faster now, with faster shifts up and down, it also holds rpms in corners, and downshifts intuitively approaching turns, and it has rev match downshift for what it's worth. I think it only gives up 0.1 secs in 0-60 over the manual tranny, so not too shabby.

I couldn't resist the deal, I have driven my 19 WRX for over three years, and it is out of warranty on the bumper-to-bumper coverage. The new WRX is the same trim level as my current car, but it now comes with keyless entry, remote start, and full eyesight safety package- which my 2019 did not have- plus some tech upgrades. They will take my leased WRX back with nothing required of me , and they will pay me 6,500 dollars in equity. I get into a new car with full warranty and roadside assistance, and it gets me started with new brakes and tires and fluids all over again, plus that new car smell , lol . I haven't spent much money on the WRX in three years other than oil changes, it has been completely reliable and no visits to the dealer for any warranty work. I get to drive my current car until the new car arrives from Japan. I might have been interested in getting out of my current lease and into a new WRX at zero cost, but the offer of an equity payment was a real bonus, so I took the offer.

I have no complaints about with the new car, it has everything I need as a daily driver. I would have jumped into a BRZ but 2022 orders are closed, and the 23's won't be available until the later fall months. The dealer had this WRX on order already, in Ice Silver colour as a dealer stock vehicle, it isn't produced yet but in queue to be assembled in coming weeks. Then it needs to be shipped to Canada from Japan , however long that takes. So overall not a bad deal, times are a bit weird now with used car prices so I better take advantage of it while I can.
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (04-30-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 02:09 PM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like a good deal. You need to post pics!
mosesbotbol (05-04-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Congrats! Sounds like a good deal. You need to post pics!
Thanks !. We got the Ice Silver colour Sport WRX, it is on route from Japan so no exact date of arrival yet. Will do as soon as it hits the shores.
QUIKAG (04-29-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 10:06 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I had to double check the date for a second when I saw another new car thread from you
still being made in Japan, bravo Subaru!
Old 05-01-2022, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
I had to double check the date for a second when I saw another new car thread from you
still being made in Japan, bravo Subaru!
Thanks Jeff, yeah , it just came down to timing, I wasn't in a big rush to swap out the WRX, but it seems to be every 3-4 years.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:10 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Twist your arm on that deal. Good for you!
Old 05-04-2022, 10:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Putting in an official pic request when feasible.
mosesbotbol (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:06 PM
kos

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Definitely a solid deal. I can't say I will ever like the new body style, and this is from owning an 05 and 06 for 13 years now, but it definitely has some nice new features, especially with that new transmission that I just took a training on (Parts Mgr for a dealer in AZ)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Twist your arm on that deal. Good for you!
Yeah you sometimes have to consider if you will get a worse deal a few months down the road or a better deal, with all of the pent up demand for used cars it seemed like a good time to sign the deal. Thanks !
Old 05-04-2022, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Putting in an official pic request when feasible.
Will do , we just need to get it to our shores, thanks !

Quick Reply: Subaru Dealer Got Me Into Another WRX