Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Test Drove a Genesis 2.0T

Old 07-15-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 158 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by omg516,Jul 14 2009, 11:04 PM
Why are you shifting into 1st at 10mph without rev matching? You have trouble with that and you're blaming it on the car?
I was trying to put the car in 1st gear with the clutch in. I did not intend to use 1st gear to slow down further, I was already only going 5mph.

I was basically coming to a stop with the brakes and clutch in and tried the put the car in first at 10mph.. It wouldnt let me.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would have let you if you rev matched. You should do that in any car to prevent wear of the synchros.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 AM

I stopped comparing anything to the shifter feel of the S2000 a long time ago...you're hard pressed to find one that feels good at any price let alone a 'common car' like the Genesis. I'm sure there is huge room for aftermarket improvements on this car...I think it will be pretty solid with some modifications.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Some of you guys are complete car snobs without a good reason. You drive a honda...yes, a honda. This is the sort pompous attitude i'd expect from bimmer/porsche owners.

So hyundai decided to offer the car market an affordable rwd sportscar with many different ways of optioning it out for every budget...and you guys are coming off like it's not even worthy of s2000 owners. How many rwd cars are out there at this price point?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 497 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by shyong,Jul 15 2009, 09:19 AM
Some of you guys are complete car snobs without a good reason. You drive a honda...yes, a honda. This is the sort pompous attitude i'd expect from bimmer/porsche owners.

So hyundai decided to offer the car market an affordable rwd sportscar with many different ways of optioning it out for every budget...and you guys are coming off like it's not even worthy of s2000 owners. How many rwd cars are out there at this price point?
+1

Not many cars will have the great shifter feel of the s2000, especially when you factor in that most sportier cars have a lot more torque. But there are other cars that I do enjoy rowing the gears of: mr2s, miatas, the newer mustang gts (yes, the mustang, I enjoy their solid and yes longer throws, but it feels like rifle bolt), the 370z is nice, my ep3 when I had it, and a few others.
The interior of the gen coupe is low rent even those it's a nice design, but given the price range and the kit you get with it it's still a solid value. You just cannot compare a 32K entry price car (s2000) to a 20K entry price car (gen coupe). After seeing the materials and quality hyundai is capable of putting out (like the higher priced gen sedan), the corners that were cut were obviously to reduce sticker price not a lack of attention. If you want a better interior, more weight, and a 'better' v6, get a g37, and even those cars people have gripes with the interior, this car is at least 10K less than a comparably equipped g37. Yes, a honda accord coupe has a nicer interior, but the does the honda accord offer rwd, brembos, 300hp, and an lsd?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 AM

i drove this piece of shit gen coupe. i left feeling like i wanted my 30 minutes of like i spent driving it back
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by btstone84,Jul 15 2009, 01:16 PM
i drove this piece of shit gen coupe. i left feeling like i wanted my 30 minutes of like i spent driving it back
Wasn't as nice as your nissan.....err infiniti?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dizings2k,Jul 14 2009, 10:35 AM
Oh I'm sure with $250 or so the 2.0T would be right at the performance level of the V6. There is supposed to be a 2.0T track package coming out as well.

My favorite part is when the salesman was telling me that the car has a 51/49 weight distribution. That was the best of any production vehicle ever.

I informed him of his errors and told him it was his unlucky day because he met an owner of a car like an S2000...

This is also the same salesman who told me the 2.0T will out accelerate the V6.... I did not say anything about that.

He did fess up though when I called him on a few things. He said "look dude, I like Jeeps. I am not a sports car enthusiast like you are. I just sell Elantras all day"

I laughed...
Honestly, it kinda sounds like you went to test drive the car just to prove how much better your S2000 was to yourself and everyone else.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 158 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunchies,Jul 15 2009, 01:44 PM
Honestly, it kinda sounds like you went to test drive the car just to prove how much better your S2000 was to yourself and everyone else.
No I went to test drive this car because I wanted it to be something good!

I had high hopes and I still do have high hopes for the V6 track.

I am looking for something with a wee bit more room than the S2000, some more power, a hair softer to DD too. The Genesis sounded like it would fit.

My only real complaints are the transmission. I did state my mistake of comparing the two in my first post. I know that I shouldn't but its what I have to go off of.

I am not trying to be or sound pompous at all. I really like the looks and the interior of the Genesis. For a $20k car it is a lot of car for the money!

I did not go to test drive just to make myself feel better about the S2000. I already know it is a great car. I just wanted to drive on of these Genesis since they came out.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:14 AM

i think straight turbo back and a light tune would do real good for it...... the car has potential just like any car if you have the money that is.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Genesis 2.0T