S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Is there any better large luxury car than the LS430 for less than $60-70K? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/there-any-better-large-luxury-car-than-ls430-less-than-%2460-70k-119515/)

rai 04-30-2003 03:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NewR
[B]$60-70K for a toyota????

JoeD 04-30-2003 10:49 PM

Originally posted by rai

Time after time it has been tested and compared to the best sedans in the world and it has never been criticized for being a Toyota.

They can be compared, but Lexus will never be Mercedes-Benz or BMW.

They might be great cars, but they are not the best in the world.

NS2000X 05-01-2003 05:28 AM

Originally posted by JoeD
So what is "the best in the world"?
Though I'm sure your opinion lays some where in the hordes of MB power monsters.

Enlighten us (me).

NS2000X

Da Hapa 05-01-2003 08:41 AM

Of for the love of God... give me a break.

This kind of ignorant statement is no better than the "Buy 'Merican" or "why drive that jap crap" mentality that you hear/read on Mustang and Corvette forums.

Its too bad that as a group of educated car enthusiasts, we can't be more open minded and logical than this.

Define "best". Then define best at what. There are plenty of awesome cars available to us today. But if you're going to compare a S600 Mercedes to an LS430 and say that Lexus doesn't compare to MB then I call:bs:

dbjb 05-01-2003 08:58 AM

Thank God!! Check a recent Consumer Reports or any other objective publication. Every single Lexus was a reccommended purchase whereas only one BMW or Merc was recommended (the 5 series). Sorry, but Lexus is the now the standard for luxury. The Germans had their day and it has passed.

NS2000X 05-01-2003 09:08 AM

Da Hapa, dbjb,

Nice replies. :)

NS2000X

Fanman 05-01-2003 09:24 AM

One car nobody is talking Volkwagen Phaeton. It has gotten pretty good reviews, has a nice 330 hp V8 (with a W12 414 hp option soon) right in the price point, the interior is Audi-esqe.

2001_s2000 05-01-2003 10:01 AM

http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2002049a.gif

Mercedes didn't even make the list. Infiniti is a strong contender here ahead of Lexus for once. Usually Lexus and Infiniti are both in the 1/2 top positions, or vice versa.

NewR 05-01-2003 03:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Da Hapa
[B]

No offense intended but this is exactly what I was trying to get at with my last post.

Anyone shopping an M5 isn't going to cross shop an LS430 no matter how close their price points are.

Moreover, I'd question your decision making ability based on your response to spending that kind of coin on a "Toyota".

JoeD 05-01-2003 03:18 PM

I am very open minded and I speak from experience when I say Mercedes or BMW makes better cars than Lexus.

Having driven cars from all three manufacturers, I can tell you that you do not get the same feeling driving a Lexus as you do a Mercedes for example. You feel like you are driving a tin can, and the feel of driving an expensive car just is not there. It really feels as if you are driving a Camry. The feel of the leather and interior plastics is quite cheap in comparison.

Overall, Lexus are great cars. They are comfortable, they are reliable, and have a lot of luxury for a Japanese car. But Lexus will always be a poor man's Mercedes, as they keep on trying to imitate them. But you know what they say...imitation is the biggest form of flattery.