Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is there any better large luxury car than the LS430 for less than $60-70K?

Old 05-02-2003, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A mercedes is similar to a rolex in watches as a lexus to a casio. Yes, Casio does have more functions, and offers more, and some looks better, but that doesnt mean anything. Everyone knows a rolex is better than a casio watch.

Second thing, driving a mercedes is more than just driving a car, its a social status. When your drive one, people view you entirely differently than lets say.. a Lexus?
Old 05-02-2003, 01:07 PM

I've had them all. But, someone who's been saving their money up for a long time that has never had a Mercedes and wants one -won't go for anything else. Most people I know go for the Benz for this reason. "Why pay 70k for a Toyota when you can get a S class for the same". I didn't say it, they do. I also am not saying the Mercedes is better but it's a "Mercedes" and that's how it's viewed. It's not the same unless it has that STAR.

Personally, I just can't deal with having my car at the dealer all the time. When you own a Mercedes the dealer always blames the owner for the problems and not the car. This is my dealer anyways. I moved to the Infiniti and couldn't be happier. It's also nice to have a car very few people have and it moves like a bat out of hell!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:21 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by zeraful

Second thing, driving a mercedes is more than just driving a car, its a social status. When your drive one, people view you entirely differently than lets say.. a Lexus?

Not true at all. We are seeing MB's costing less than hyundai's so the status is not there any more.

A mercedes is similar to a rolex in watches as a lexus to a casio. Yes, Casio does have more functions, and offers more, and some looks better, but that doesnt mean anything. Everyone knows a rolex is better than a casio watch.
If you think of the MB as a rolex and the Lexus as a Casio. You say some casio's look better. What if the Casio keeps better time? (that's what watches are for) and what if the Casio was worth more money (resale value) than the rolex after 5 years? I'd say the casio is the way to go unless you are going for snob appeal.

Old 05-02-2003, 01:29 PM

1) Thank you for proving my point about shallow, egocentric people who are only concerned with conspicuous consumption. As I've said a hundred times, I've got nothing against MB products or MB drivers but I would hate to be grouped with any group of choadling ass monkeys that thinks social status is that important, especially when it comes to car ownership.

2) Ask most reputable jewelers and watch collectors and they'll most likely agree that your average cheapo Casio watch keeps time as good as or better than some very expensive Rolex watches. No doubt that Rolex's are beautifully crafted, yada yada but a watch is for keeping time. A Rolex is only "better" than a Casio if social status is that important to you.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:36 PM

$hit, I am still stuck here at the desk!!

Lets say you are walking down the beach and found 2 beautiful watches that someone left behind. A Rolex and a Casio. Problem is you can only choose one. Which one would you pick? Yeah, tell me you pick the Casio because it is as nice and keeps better time!!!

Ouch!!!

Ok,, i am out ta here..
Old 05-02-2003, 02:51 PM

I love Mercedes and I am a pervious MB, BMW owner. But what kind of Social status can Mercedes car bring to it's owner? Mercedes, BMW are everywhere at the area I live. In fact I just saw a new SL500 and a CL600 at my local starbucks. if you want social status you need to buy a Maybach, Bentley, or Rolls-Royce...

and Rolex is not even close to a exotic watch maker imo.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NewR
[B]$hit, I am still stuck here at the desk!!

Lets say you are walking down the beach and found 2 beautiful watches that someone left behind.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:36 PM

back to the topic

Originally posted by rai
Is there any better large luxury car than the LS430 for less than $60-70K?
there is at least the Infinite Q45 you can also choose if you don't want to pay more than $70k. Mercedes E500 is also another good contender even it's mid size, but there are so much room in the interior.

also rumors said the LS430 will be getting a update in exterior style, engine, features for 2004.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by alexf20c
The LS430 is an ugly car. Both aesthetically and dynamically.

Before my dad purchased his Q45, we test drove all the competitors (LS430, S430/500, A8/S8, 540i/M5). Why my dad felt the Q45 was a greater car than the S8 or M5, I don't know. But a true car guy (i.e. one that drives his car for the pure joy of the driving experience - or an S2000 owner) would feel wholly disappointed in the LS430.

Again, it's visually bland. It does nothing for me. When you first see the car, you're not tempted to walk around it and take in what exactly you're about to get in and drive. With the Infiniti, however, you spend a good 5 minutes before stepping in. The gatling headlights, 18-inch multi-spoke rims, etc. are just plain cool.

And then you get behind the wheel and you realize it's a totally different driving experience. The Lexus drives you; you drive the Infiniti. First of all, the Lexus' power steering is way overboosted; it gets rather unnerving at speed. And the steering itself is numb. It provides little feedback when you take those inevitable quick left-right switchbacks at S2000 speeds. Try it in the Q45 and you're pleasantly surprised.

While it's no S2000 or NSX when considering driver feedback, the Q45 is definitely a few notches above the Lexus. The steering has a nice weighty feel, the throttle is more responsive, but not in the annoying sort of way.

And then there's the interior. The Lexus is wonderful, no doubt, but for some reason, I just feel more at home. The controls fall at hand. (As it should, as the Q45 was our 15th or so Nissan/Infiniti.) I do believe the stereo system in the Lexus is superior to the Infiniti, but only just. The wood trim is more conservative in the Infiniti - too much (as in the Lexus) and it just gets tacky. Did I mention the Q's reclining rear seats?

Oh ya, and you gotta love the Q's exhaust note!

BTW, we're still waiting for the local dealerships to receive their allottment of the new all-aluminum Jag XJ. They should be fun.

Not that I disagree with you Alex about how the Lexus is a bit bland but...

Twin Turbo Lexus LS430
Old 05-02-2003, 04:09 PM

When the lexus and infiniti first came out I had both and in snow and rain the Q45 lost traction in the rear end, was very twitcy, and dangerous even with traction control.

Now I would NOT CONSIDER a german car or french wine, because of the recent war I would not buy their products.

For a daily driver I am considering replacing my Lexus with the infinity SUV FX-45 or if they do make one, a type R JAG X.

Quick Reply: Is there any better large luxury car than the LS430 for less than $60-70K?