Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking of selling the S2000 for a Z and boosting it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Hmm, sounds like you're trying to justify something new, which is perfectly understandable as we all go through it. Your car is getting rough and up there in age, so you think, do I restore it or move on? Well let's see, the fact that you're deeply considering moving on indicates to me there isnt an overwhelming emotional investment into your specific car. Every car at some point in its life will need to be either discarded or restored, so the question always comes down to is it worth it? 180K is definitely up there, and will start to become a money pit; all the perishable will perish, and all the moveable parts will start to whine. Imho you're almost always better off buying another car, unless the car you have is hard to find or really expensive, think an original 60s shelby gt500. In the case of the S, you can buy a low mile, well cared for example for 25k pretty much all day just about anywhere at almost any time. You could buy a 60-80k ap1 or maybe ap2 in good nick for 15ish as well (getting harder though), def under 20 though. I'm using very general figures and trying to skew on the liberal side. So restoring your car properly to get it to the point of those lower miles cars will not be worth it, plus you wont be able to get it back out; at this stage of the S's market life, the mileage and age will dictate its value more than its condition, meaning even though your car may be fully restored to new, with almost 200k it still wont be worth as much as a truly newer lower mile car in comparable condition. So it's a losing proposition. So unless the car truly is worth to you beyond that logic, i.e. sentimental, it's not worth it.
Which brings us to getting the Z; if the ultimate goal is to mod the Z as much as you modded your S (and it sounds like you are, saying boost and your name being moddiction), I dont see how it's cheaper, if not comparable. IIRC a good used S will still cost less than a Z, namely because the last S came out with the first Z came out give or take a year. So unless mods are ridiculously cheaper on a Z (last I checked they were comparable), then from a dollar standpoint the S is still cheaper. You could also not mod your new S and sell your old parts as you see fit too. So unless you feel you'll be happy with a more stock Z as you are with your highly modified S, the money is about the same, in fact it'll probably be cheaper to go S.
So there's the logic, but if youre doing it just for a change of scenery, then why not too? I get the draw to go with a more GTish type of car. The S can get very exhausting, and doesn't fit all your moods. The Z can cruise in relative comfort and still perform quite well, plus I've never been a vert guy so having a roof is a plus. That said, most of the people that I met who have owned Z33+ always grew bored of it and moved on, they all loved it but it didnt have the cult like adherence cars like the 240z, GTI, DC2, ae86, crx, FD, mopar, etc had.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy a Z06
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've thought of a z06 just a little over my budget right now as I'd only want a c6 z06 not the C5.

I might just say screw it and buy new engine and trans for s2k shortly. I do love the car so maybe F22 and more boost will make me happy again haha.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts

Its hard to pass on a used Z - they are pretty cheap and lots of fun.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM

I have an 01 S2000 stock my brother has an 05 350Z stock performance.

Both cars are great fun, but completely different. The 350Z is a heavy car. In the corners it is rather lethargic and generally a bit of a beast to get in and out. The S2K on the other hand is much more nible, as you are already aware. If I was to go to the coast tomorrow (1.25 hour drive) in overcast weather or rain, 100% 350z. If it was sunny 100% S2000.

They are so different but great at what they are intended to do. 350Z is a mile muncher, S2k is a corner muncher.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Former Sponsor

I've been posting a bit over on MY350z.com forum. Pretty much everyone there so far has said to keep my boosted S2000 lol. They all have said how much better the S2000 engine is with boost compared the Z motors.
Might be a sign if even on their cars forum everyone is saying keep the S haha.

Ill keep an eye out for a low mileage F22 and AP2 trans and hopefully that will make me happy again with the car. Should be a nice increase in torque and gearing with the AP2 trans and .2 extra liters.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on. Get the LS1 setup. All that torque, you don't really need the extra 50 hp.

We want TO SEE.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

I am tempted to do the LS2 swap but I won't have time to do the swap myself and I have a feeling it will wind up costing me quite a lot with all the fab work needed for that swap.

I think I'll just wait a year or two and then pick up a used C6 z06 instead!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I am tempted to do the LS2 swap but I won't have time to do the swap myself and I have a feeling it will wind up costing me quite a lot with all the fab work needed for that swap.

I think I'll just wait a year or two and then pick up a used C6 z06 instead!
Dang, I was looking forward to an inspirational LS2 build thread

Good luck whichever avenue you choose.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You know as soon as you unload the S, you'll miss it. Plus, you have the Legacy now when you need a cushy ride. Why do you need another GT?

Patch the hole and vinyl wrap the car, skip the paint. Get your company logo all over that thing ==> tax deduction. With the money saved, take car of your motor, trans, etc. Make the S the showcase for your business.