Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

For Those Who Work On Their Cars, How & When Did You Get Started?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Those Who Work On Their Cars, How & When Did You Get Started?

I've always been curious as to people's back-stories when talking about doing all or most of the work on their own cars.

I remember the Girlfriend brought this up once and I told her I just always loved doing it, and it's relaxing to me. Also I enjoy learning how to do certain things to my car, as well as understanding the how/why mechanical aspects. Moreover, it's also something I want to be able to share as a past-time with my kid(s) once I have some. I think I really started getting into tinkering with cars because of a much older friend/mechanic who taught me (and continues to teach me) the ropes. I met him about 12yrs ago and I'm not sure what I would've done with my car had I not met him lol. So I thank him!

What's your reason?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't trust those mechanics from dealers so I tried to do most the work myself with some help from mechanic friends LOL
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Really, getting my S2000. I had never really cared about cars before and ran in to a string of bad car luck and shady mechanics. Finally buying a car that I was actually interested in, combined with never wanting to feel powerless again in the face of mechanical trouble, led me to becoming an avid DIYer.

Also have to get a shout out to all here for your advice and expertise, I couldn't have done it without s2ki.com, this site has saved me thousands of dollars.

In the last year, I've learned and done:

- Oil/filter change
- Axle nut "TSB"
- Diagnosing misfire: vehicle scan, compression test, interpreting OBDII info, etc
- Spark plugs and coil packs
- Subwoofer/speakers/new HU
- Hardwire radar detector
- Valve adjustment
- Transmission/diff fluid
- Fuel injector replacement
- Clutch and brake fluid bleed
- Polish clutch slave rod
- Alternator replacement
- A hundred other odds and ends from detailing to greasing shifter etc.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 1,278 Likes on 974 Posts

My dad is a mechanic. I always liked taking things apart (I literally tried to crawl under my high chair and take it apart when I was about 3) and always had an interest in technical toys like erector sets, legos, etc. When I was about six, to keep me from taking apart everything else in the house, my dad had replaced a carburetor for a customer and cleaned and brought the old one home to me. I would sit there and take it completely apart, re-assemble, etc. I thought it was the coolest thing On my own dirt bikes, bikes and cars, my dad would always make me fix them and would assist as needed, rather than doing it all for me. He always involved me in working on the cars at home, helping at his shop, helping him with construction projects around the house, etc. So it just kinda sunk in. I am very thankful for the way he did those things, as I have never to this day hired a contractor for anything on my home (roofing, remodel, electrical, plumbing, landscaping, etc) or paid a shop to work on my cars beyond alignment, bodywork or tires. And if I had more room and equipment I would do those myself

I just have that do it myself sort of personality though. I dont like thinking I have a problem I can't solve within reason and enjoy doing the work myself. Partially due to genetics, partially my upbringing (and sometimes money situations necessitated!), but I learned how to do as much as I could growing up. Worked as an electrician, cabinet maker, engineering, etc along the way. So now if I dont know how to do a job, I read, call up dad for input if needed, and just do it.

I have to say, the wallet certainly does not complain either about it!
Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally being broke and needing/wanting to do things to my cars. I stared with basic maintenance on my college beater out of necessity and gradually worked up from there. With experienced friends and the wonderful people on forums such as this there is no shortage of information and DIY's available, and as long as you have some mechanical aptitude you can tackle most projects without too much trouble. There are still some things beyond my capabilities (building diffs, welding, etc.) but at least 90% of what gets done to my cars happens in my garage.

I sold my race car 8 months ago to pick up the S, and it still feels weird not needing to be in the garage wrenching almost every week. I may do an STR build just to give me something to do in the garage...
Old 06-19-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Moved to Car Talk as this is a bit too general for S2000 Talk

I got into working on cars when I got my Celica (after wrecking my Volvo). All my friends were modding and I watched them work on their cars, so I got in on the action.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It started as kid.. I always had a big interest in cars and for what reason I really don't know... Just came natural I guess. Around 12 years old my older brother showed up with a 91 CRX Si that was modded and that was just the fuel my fire needed. The internet was blowing up so thats where I got alot more interest and fascination with imports and cars in general.. Also, I had older friends growing up.. In the early 2000s around the age of 14 I helped a buddy swap a rb20det into his s13 240sx. When I turned 15 the same buddy helped me swap engines between two 2nd generation mazda rx7 turbo II's. Since then i've done everything from swapping engines in grandma cars to 1JZ's to honda b series to an engine swap in my own car all the way down to basic maintenance such as brakes and oil changes. I do everything myself except the things that require a ton of money to buy tools/machines for.. i.e., pressing, alignments, tire changes, a/c fill, welding etc.. And I can do all of those as well if I have access to the tools/machinery.

In the past year, i've:

Swapped the k20a3 in my civic with a k24a4

Swapped out a 2jz-ge in my buddys IS300 cause the original had rod knock

helped with pulling and tearing down an engine from a big single turbo mkiv supra

along with many other small jobs such as last weekend changing a/c compressors and condensors in my girlfriends TSX, weekend before that was a water pump in my sisters e-class, etc.

I don't always enjoy working on them, and it can be very frustrating at times. Also, taking on engine swaps, clutch changes etc is a pretty huge task when you don't have air tools and a lift. Most of my work has been on dirt and when im lucky, concrete, with minimal hand tools. But, as we all here know, cars are an expensive hobby and that number jumps exponentially if you're paying for labor too. What I do enjoy is installing/replacing parts and seeing the improvement(s) or diagnosing an issue and finding you were spot on.. Its a good challenge. Also, like the OP stated I enjoy seeing how things work and go together.. Amazing engineering into cars.

I've long thought about being a mechanic as a career but I just don't know its something I want to do day in and day out.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

Initially, it was because I wanted to be sure things were done right. So, that meant basic oil changes and fluid changes. After that, I started doing the other easy stuff (brakes, filters, spark plugs). On the S2000, I did oil changes a lot (cheap and easy with a Fumoto valve installed) and it was way easier and cheaper than going to a dealer or lube outfit.

Then, I upgraded my tools, bought a good compressor, got pneumatic and electric drives and guns and went to work on my pickup. I did the front end (tie rods, ball joints) last year, rather than pay a dealer a few thousand dollars. Did the PS pump and pitman/link arms as well. Total cost was just over $2K (with tools that I got to keep) by myself, with a bit of help on a few things from an independent mechanic, versus $5K from a dealer. I even did a "driveway" alignment afterwards. Also changed out the driveshaft output bearing on the transmission side (that was fun - custom built transmission and I had to do some detective work to figure out the new seal spec).

I've used a torch, sledgehammer and other "non-automotive" tools at this point. I'm almost competent.

All I need/want now is a lift of some sort. On my truck, I can do must stuff without even lifting it (it's tall enough to slide under) but I'd like a small lift for the cars. Considering the EZ Car Lift - https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=TCWGxpmPYug / http://ezcarlift.com/ .
Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 430 Likes on 302 Posts

I grew up in a home where my dad was an attorney and knew nothing about tools. He could barely operate a hammer. I was a kid who liked to take everything apart to see how it worked. I did not always get things right when I started working on my cars, but I started as soon as I got one at 16. I wanted to understand how engines worked, brake systems, electrical or whatever. I still have never done a clutch job or anything on a transmission. To much heavy lifting or too complicated so if I need that I leave it up to a pro, but most other stuff is on the table.

The only thing I will ad to that though is that as I get older and more financially comfortable, I have less interest in doing it and I also (except for my 15 year old S2000), own cars that are under warranty and come with free maintenance.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

After getting burned by a dealership I opted to start. First thing I did was a valve adjustment on a v6.

Then I progressed into other areas as they need arose.

While my father didn't encourage it, as this was later in life, I had been raised with a can do attitude. Applied that teaching to self teaching car repair. Never going back

Quick Reply: For Those Who Work On Their Cars, How & When Did You Get Started?