Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Took Delivery of My New Ride Yesterday

Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Took Delivery of My New Ride Yesterday

Well, after working with one of the most impressive general managers I have ever dealt with in the car business, my GT-R finally arrived yesterday. Many thanks to the folks over at Bates Nissan in Killeen, Texas.

First off, the delivery process is amazing. You can only purchase the car from the GM of the store so there is no dealing with the other sales people. You have to sign various forms acknowledging frequent maintenance intervals (1k miles, then annually for 3 years) for alignments and various adjustments that are all paid for by Nissan. You get special roadside assistance for GT-R owners (not exactly sure what the difference is). If you do make a warranty claim, Nissan will send out a representative to the dealership to record any findings to assure there are no trends in things going wrong and to catch any design flaws early. The whole pick-up process will take at least 2 hours.

My initial thoughts on appearance and features:

I have to say, do not judge this car before seeing it in person. I was very pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the dealership (prior to yesterday, I had only seen pictures). The car looks much better in real life--it doesn't appear nearly as awkward. The lines actually flow well, and the front fender flares are great! As many others have mentioned, the GT-R is a very big car. It looks much more aggressive in person.

The interior is finished well. The seats are extremely comfortable and look great. The dash is covered with leather and stitching. The ipod interface is also pretty neat--it allows you to display any ipod video over the nav screen when the car is in park! The voice activated NAV-climate control-audio actually works. XM and blue tooth will make the car a lot more livable.

The drive:

I can't take it over 3500 rpm for the first 500 miles so I really can't say much. Clearly the most impressive thing is how planted the car feels. The GT-R definitely inspires confidence going into the corners. It doesn't feel nearly as heavy as it is. The suspension is just right for daily driving--potholes are livable and the car is stiff enough that there's absolutely no body roll. For comparison, the overall ride quality is better (doesn't feel as stiff) than the S2000. The shifts are quick and smooth even in "normal" mode without getting on it. It seems to be the perfect daily driver.

Dislikes:

Exhaust sounds reasonable at idle, but never really gets any better. The car is too quiet. Visibility is also surprisingly poor. The stereo system is above average, but I expected it to sound a bit better given the 11 speakers, sub using the trunk as a box enclosure, etc.

On a side note, the car does attract a surprising amount of attention--but it's a different kind of attention. Many people look over when you're in a Ferrari or Lambo, but half of the looks are "who does that guy think he is" type looks. In the GT-R, you separate many of the true car buffs from casual onlookers (even though most people recognize it's something they haven't seen before). In general, the attention from others is much more positive when compared to a car with more of a "high-end" brand image.

Well, I'm up to 150 miles so far, can't wait to get past 500! I'll chime in some more as I get more experience with the car. Please ask any questions--this car is worth every penny! I've included a link to some photos below.

-Vivek

http://picasaweb.google.com/AutomotivePhot...key=gF1fZbMPORI
Old 08-24-2008, 06:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats
Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good man.

I'll take the hand me down p car off your hands .

Old 08-24-2008, 06:41 AM

You won in life.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, and thanks for that write up and pics.

Tan
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 AM

how much you pay for it?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Definitely congratulations! Enjoy it. And post more about it once it's broken in.

(Also loved the Diablo photos!)
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 500 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by V TACH,Aug 24 2008, 06:26 AM
You have to sign various forms acknowledging frequent maintenance intervals (1k miles, then annually for 3 years) for alignments and adjustments that are all paid for by Nissan. You get special roadside assistance for GT-R owners (not exactly sure what the difference is). If you do make a warranty claim, Nissan will send out a representative to be at the dealership to record any findings to assure there are no trends in things going wrong and to catch any design flaws early. The whole pick-up process will take at least 2 hours.
That's awesome, looks like Nissan is paying close attention to the guinea pig batch, I'm glad they're stepping up to ensure satisfied customers.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats !!!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 384 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by jhp012,Aug 24 2008, 07:40 AM
how much you pay for it?
+1 over msrp?

Quick Reply: Took Delivery of My New Ride Yesterday