Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Toyota's Electrified Future

Old 12-16-2021, 08:54 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
You made the choice to live somewhere that requires 100 km every day to drop your children off.
Also 80+ gallons a month is a ton (500/6). So yeah, I recognize not the same as $3/gal. You still burn a lot of gas.
My daughter wasn't working when we bought this house and driving her to and from work is the bulk of that driving. Otherwise, our daily drive would be about 25 kms (16 miles). But thanks for playing! I certainly appreciate your concern over my habits.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.E.G. (12-17-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 10:38 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,918 Posts

FFS.

Car Talk, it's right at the top of the page.
The following 2 users liked this post by sam_spider:
Dizings2k (12-17-2021), JWN6264 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 02:16 PM

Received 492 Likes on 375 Posts

My detached garage is wired up to all of my neighbor's garages, which is paid by the hoa. So charging at home is not an option. EVs really shine in urban centers.I'm fortunate to have a garage, but many in urbancenters do not, hence the parking gustapos and ridiculous parking fees. Remember when nuclear was all the rage?

I still think Elon is one of our lifetime's biggest geniuses, but irony is when Tesla decides to stop taking bitcoin, and therefore cryptos in general, because of the environmental impact mining crypto has because of its energy consumption.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:22 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy

Question is - who has cut back their lifestyle here? .
I have. I wrote a long detailed post and spent time on it then deleted it. It was long. I've cut back in many areas. I'm about to hit 8 years on solar (my own, not some plan) as well as 8 years on DD EV, which is not what a gearhead wants to DD. I've cut out wasteful ways. Only buying things I intend to keep long term, very long term, or it just doesn't get bought. Become extremely efficient as it pertains to gasoline use, as well as being extremely efficient on food. Food waste in the US is 50%. Don't think about the landfills, think about the water, nutrients, feed, and land burnt up for that 50% waste. My food waste is single digits and many weeks zero. Any decision made has efficiency in mind, stewardship, etc. More and more, is not anything I want. I'm buying one last 6MT to last me the rest of my life and that's that. Double, triple my salary, my lifestyle would not change, just more cheddar saved so I could leave the workforce earlier. I do want more land, that's about it, but that's more a suburb to rural transition with a Morton building, super high efficiency, my own well, solar, windmill, and kwh storage to the point my only utility payments are fiber/coax monthly and that's it. I've cut back in gasoline use (severely), I don't dine out (prefer to cook at home, and healthy food), quit going to movie theaters (phone use or abuse), drastically cut kwh used off the grid, so many different areas. More detail would be long and cumbersome for you and everyone else to read. I'm happy I don't spend what you do on gasoline though. This time of year it's $25 a month. Peak riding season, maybe $150 a month at best. Average monthly cost for me is under a hundred bucks. And I decided to not have children so I'm not producing consumers.

It's a sliding scale type of talk no matter how you slice it. Someone is always using less or more than you no matter what you are doing. I focused on kwh, gas, food, and consumer products. Editing them all. Next is to get as water efficient as I can on my property. That's about it unless I want to move to Brazil, start up a co-op organic farm and wipe my ass with leaves.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:37 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody

I live in a way that is good for me.

Just saying that maybe the ones getting 20 MPG, driving 20k miles a year in that fuel efficient vehicle, etc., maybe could look at their own habits rather than complain about costs and environmentalists. People love to complain but hate to do anything about it.
In the abstract, I agree that people should indeed make changes to lifestyle and habits to better help them attain their goals before they should look to outside help. Where we disagree is that it appears you want to decide for them what those goals should be.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr.E.G.:
silvio1522 (12-17-2021), TheDonEffect (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 09:26 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
In the abstract, I agree that people should indeed make changes to lifestyle and habits to better help them attain their goals before they should look to outside help. Where we disagree is that it appears you want to decide for them what those goals should be.
100%! We need to do lunch again soon.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:07 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
100%! We need to do lunch again soon.

I was literally just thinking about texting you.
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (12-17-2021)