Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Trade My Cooper S for an S2k

Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubbard 0,May 28 2007, 09:42 PM
I got my MINI back in January. It's a 2004 and had 13K on it when I picked it up. It now has 23K on it.

Now my dilemma is that I love the Cooper, but it just isn't the "right" car for me. The S2000 caught my eye and has some similar traits (Handling, Small, Impractical). It would be my all year car too.

My car is worth about $21K private party and $19.5 for trade in. What I'm trying to figure out is if I should go through the hassle. I know it'll take a lot of talking to my parents about too. I pay for my car myself, but they still have a voice in the matter.

Will a dealership do a straight up trade for my MINI? I'm going to the Dealer on Tuesday to test drive an 07' and an 02'. I've got an idea of what I need to look at and I'm no amateur to cars (MINI is my 4th).

What are your guys' opinions or thoughts?
The dealership will almost never trade you straight up unless they can make 3-4k on your car.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,May 29 2007, 04:38 AM
The dealership will almost never trade you straight up unless they can make 3-4k on your car.

When I traded in my car it got re-listed at their dealership for 3K more than what they paid me as a CPO Honda. To be fair to the dealer though, they did put new tires on it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:10 AM

I just got back and the dealer was an absolute joke. They had an 02 that they must have sold on friday and an 07 that I know I can't afford.

The worst part was the joke of a value they put on my car. Said it was worth 13K for a trade in. I pretty much told him to die in a fire after that, since I checked it less than a week ago and it was worth 19.5 easy and $21,000 for private party.

I'm not too upset though cause the 02 was silver and I hate that color anyway. I just wish I could have driven one first.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:31 AM

Well I'm graduating college in 1 semester and I've had my s2k since I was 18yrs old(please say something neg. about mommy and daddy). I had an 7 passenger explorer briefly and i was a freaking bus stop. Everyone out of state that didnt have cars wanted a ride here and there. Let me tell you, an s2k is a BLAST to have in college. Having a nice car wont get you laid, but will get you laid again! Yes space is an issue, but its nice because when I go out with friends I dont have to drive. I dont feel for one second that it lowered my college experience. Just driving around aimlessly with the top down was a big stress reliever.

Keep in mind alot of dudes on here are older and have other cars to drive daily. I unfortunately cant do that, but when im older I'll have some other toy to stash.

I say try getting rid of the cooper and find a reasonable ap1 or ap2. --dont get me wrong, cooper are FUN AS HELL..but hey, im still in love with my S.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Former Moderator

Wholesale price is what they'll pay. No dealer will ever say your car is "excellent" either.

KBB isn't a good source to price for private sale unless you pick the middle between the trade-in value at "good" and the private part pricing at "good".
Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the S is a nice car, it isn't a chick magnet by any means.

Dealers will lowball you on every trade in. Sometimes you will get better offers from a place like CarMax.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:54 PM

I recently traded my 04' MCS (fully loaded, except nav and JCW) to a MINI dealer. The car was in excellent condition, but they only gave me $17.5K (they are selling it at $22.9K). I traded it for an 07' MCS which was a nice car, but spent half of the time in the shop.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hubbard 0,May 29 2007, 08:10 AM
I just got back and the dealer was an absolute joke. They had an 02 that they must have sold on friday and an 07 that I know I can't afford.

The worst part was the joke of a value they put on my car. Said it was worth 13K for a trade in. I pretty much told him to die in a fire after that, since I checked it less than a week ago and it was worth 19.5 easy and $21,000 for private party.

I'm not too upset though cause the 02 was silver and I hate that color anyway. I just wish I could have driven one first.
Go to another dealer or as said before, try Carmax (but the car has to be STOCK). Dealers make a $hit ton of money off used cars. They make more profit on used cars than they do on new cars. Your best bet is to sell the Mini privately and buy an S2000 privately. This unfortunately takes time and depends on how much patience you have, but it will save you the most money in the end. There are tons of S2000's forsale here for great prices and the S2ki.com classified section is Lowball Central. The Mini is supposed to have the highest resale value of any used car (not sure why), so take advantage of it. I found a bunch of Cooper S's on Autotrader.com with similar mileage between $18,995-21,500 from dealers, so that means at a $13k trade in, there's a $6-8.5k profit margin. I'd tell them to kiss my arse or take at LEAST $2-3k off the used car price.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks a lot everybody. I'm going to keep my eyes open and just wait for awhile. Plus I just put a smaller pulley on the S/C today so I'm gonna have a ball with that first.

The dealership I went did call me back later on. I guess I didn't speak the to the sales guy I was supposed to, so maybe they'll have something in store for me.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my thoughts:

1. be sure to test drive the s2000 to make sure that it is worth getting rid of your cooper for - both are fun cars...

2. dont trade in your car if you decide to go for the s2000- sell it yourself

3. you will "lose less money" (the monthly "depreciation" gets less the longer you own the car) if you wait to sell the cooper... but this really is a personal choice

4. here in ca, the sales tax makes keeping a car just a few months an expensive choice

if you decide to keep that cooper and cherry it out, visit the wash n wax forum for tips and how-tos!!

Quick Reply: Trade My Cooper S for an S2k