Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Truck newbie - what to get?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:25 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Targa Newfoundland FTW! Great race, very challenging roads (NF has HORRIBLE roads) with very challenging weather. I can't believe how popular it's gotten in just a few years. They are getting international competitors now, actually shipping/flying in cars to race.

By the way, I know exactly where that photo was taken. It's near Outer Cove - my uncle's parents live there. Beautiful spot. If you can believe it, after Hurricane Andrew they had waves that went OVER those cliffs!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisbert,Jul 18 2007, 07:37 AM
I forgot to mention Dodge. I have never owned one, but I have known many who have. All have said the reliability is awful. They make more power than Ford / GM, but at the expense of quality and reliability it seems.

If you feel you need a diesel, Dodge does put a nice Cummins in theirs though. Chip it, and you can outrun a lot of cars on the road. :-)
+1

I'd go dodge diesel for a "work" truck. You can pretty much buy one and its good for a long time. If you can kill the engine, you just get it resleaved. And they generally get better mileage if you modify them within reason. (I'm all for 1500lbft of torque out of a 6 cylinder, but don't expect more than 4-7mpg with those kind of mods.)
Old 07-19-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jul 19 2007, 08:25 AM
Targa Newfoundland FTW! Great race, very challenging roads (NF has HORRIBLE roads) with very challenging weather. I can't believe how popular it's gotten in just a few years. They are getting international competitors now, actually shipping/flying in cars to race.

By the way, I know exactly where that photo was taken. It's near Outer Cove - my uncle's parents live there. Beautiful spot. If you can believe it, after Hurricane Andrew they had waves that went OVER those cliffs!
Targa Newfoundland is just flat out an awesome event. For someone like me who has been around motorsports for a while I can see why it is growing so quickly. Newfoundland has given the cars the freedom to run, and honestly spreaking, allows them to run is some really, really tight spots as you know. The challenge and the freedom that is offered up by this event is awesome. I suspect in all honesty, you are just starting to see the growth.

I believe you are telling the truth, but my mind says no way, not that high... wow.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Take a look at Cape Spear (most easterly point of North America) online some time. They've had a number of people swept off those cliffs (they're lower, but not THAT much lower), so much so that they've put up tons of warning signs and fences.

I think it has something to do with how quickly the water level drops near shore - the energy has to be transferred to something else, so it grows very high.

If you ever want to run in the Targa Newfoundland, I'll gladly be your co-driver/navigator. I'm pretty sure I can set us up with free places to stay and all that.... You've never raced until you've raced in fog.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Chrisbert,Jul 18 2007, 10:35 AM] It originally referred to the payload the truck could carry.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 18 2007, 11:04 AM
On this one we don't agree...

I think the Ridgeline is very, very underpowered, and yes I have driven one, actually more than one. To me a truck should feel like the Titan, plenty of grunt, nothing like 379 foot pounds of torque to demonstrate grunt.

The second thing I dislike about the Ridgeline is the AWD, this is not at all like 4WD, and for someone who has driven trucks for a long time there is no way I want a car like drivetrain, I want 4WD, and to me, if a so called truck does not have a granny gear, then it ain't no truck.

The third thing about the Ridgeline, and this one I HATE, which is much stronger than dislike, it the stupidity of Honda to not figure out a way to make the double swing tailgate lockable. Trucks have got to have a lockable tailgate so you can add a tonneau and keep stuff in the bed locked up.

And don't even getme started on that 5,000 pound towing capacity and the wisdom of towing any load even close to that...

Sorry Jon, we are on opposite sides of the fence on this one.
so your all OK with the fact that the Ridgeline is a unibody "truck" ?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Jul 19 2007, 04:27 PM
thanks... so its the payload in the bed... or it was originally... what "size" is the Tundra and Titan come in at?
I'm not sure if they have anything more than "1/2 ton", but the Titan can carry a buttload and it's a strong performer. Tundra older models, while still strong trucks don't compare to their new 5.7L brothers with 381HP and 401 lb/ft torque. Toyota is offering good incentives, but again I'd recommend finding used.

Unless you intend to literally work out of the truck every day; including meeting the maximum payload you can probably do fine with 1/2 ton models.

If you are going to bounce around offroad with a heavy payload (dirt, bricks, rocks, etc.) a lot, then look for 3/4 ton.

Really though, look on the road around you and see what the other trucks are used for. I see a lot of 1/2 ton used as "work trucks", but the ones used by landscape companies and the like are often 3/4 ton.

- Chrisbert
Old 07-20-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Jul 19 2007, 04:30 PM
so your all OK with the fact that the Ridgeline is a unibody "truck" ?
Well, now that you mention it...

Actually, that part is not too bad. I had a chance to see a cut-a-way demonstrator, and although you are right, it is a unitbody, there were a lot of big 'frame-like' pieces added into the structure, that sure looked like it would beef things up.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Jul 19 2007, 04:27 PM
thanks... so its the payload in the bed... or it was originally... what "size" is the Tundra and Titan come in at?
Titan only comes in the so called 1/2 ton range, but there are different configurations like King Cab and Crew Cab and 2 different bed lenghts. The Tundra as I understand it is also in the 1/2 ton rance, but they have many more body/bed configurations because they have the 198" longer wheelbase option that allows them to put a really long bed on.

If nissan made my King Cab, but offered an 8' bed instead of a 6' bed I would have taken the 8' bed in a heart beat because for towing, the longer wheel base is really nice.

I'm no Toyota fan, but here is the difference I'm talking about...
The same basic layout as my Titan King Cab

My favorite layout, the cab is not too big, the bed is way longer as is the wheelbase
Old 07-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 20 2007, 02:57 PM
If nissan made my King Cab, but offered an 8' bed instead of a 6' bed I would have taken the 8' bed in a heart beat because for towing, the longer wheel base is really nice.
The King Cab has an 8 foot long bed available now... wheelbase is 159"...

Similar Tundra has a 165" wheelbase and the bed's an inch shorter...

do all these Full size trucks come with an Independent Rear Suspension?