Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Try to build a cheap track car...

Old 08-16-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try to build a cheap track car...

Hey guys, just wanna get some idea of which car I should use to build my cheap track car. I'm currently driving a CRX Si as a beater and kinda looking to either mod it or sell it and get a miata to build it up... any of you out ther had moded these cars before and how did it hold up?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

miata. rwd is generally preferred over fwd when it comes to performance/track cars.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:45 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had both and the Miata would be my choice by a long shot.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 AM

Both are good cheap track cars and are about equal in speed with comparable modifications. I've owned both and unless you plan on big hp, the CRX is my pick for the better choice in your case. Parts are cheaper for the CRX and it is easier to work on. At low power levels FWD isn't much of a disadvantage and because of the CRX's short wheelbase, it doesn't have any problems rotating. Since you already have a CRX you should be knowledgeable about it which gives it a leg up on a Miata as well.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:11 AM

Miata. You can strip her out to less then 2000lb's if you're brave, and then throw a V8 inside
Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

CRX. It's already less than 2000 pounds. (1960 lbs.) Can't do a V8, but that's not how to get a cheap track car.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the tracks you'll be visiting. A miata will probably be the better choice on faster tracks.

They're both excellent choices for track use... I guess you should compare prices of modifying and stuff before you make your decision.

I personally would get the CRX since they are lighter.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shinigami,Aug 17 2006, 06:11 AM
Miata. You can strip her out to less then 2000lb's if you're brave, and then throw a V8 inside
Nah, remember, I said cheap track car? beside, putting a V8 in it will make the car understeer and will change the whole dynamic of the car. I've a friend that have a supercharger in the miata and it runs really good and fast! As the CRX, the only thing I can make it fast is to swap the engin to either a B16 or B18 and that will set me back for 2K or so... I'm still debating, because my parts budget is under 3k...

But thanks for all the input! Please keep the idea or comment coming
Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 AM

Don't worry about power as the CRX has enough to get around the track and still have fun. Your money would be much better spent on more track time, tires, suspension and a LSD (in that order). When you are the point where you can't go any faster with what you've got then upgrade your engine or switch to a faster car.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ArenG,Aug 17 2006, 07:09 AM
Depends on the tracks you'll be visiting. A miata will probably be the better choice on faster tracks.
Why do you say that? The faster you go the less RWD will help on a low hp car. The CRX has better gearing and is has much better aero. I would think the Miata might be better on a slower course while a CRX might be better on a fast course. Both are so close however that it usually would come down to the driver.

Quick Reply: Try to build a cheap track car...