Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Used car for a beginning driver?

Old 11-09-2019, 06:09 PM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Used car for a beginning driver?

First kid is going to be getting her driver's license in about 6 months and we are hoping to get her a used car so she can get to functions she needs to go to, run errands, etc. Frankly, she has little interest in a car (or getting her DL) if not for her need to run around.

In thinking about what will be useful for her later on when she goes to college - safety, reliability and ease/cost of maintenance/repairs are at the top of the list. The ability to handle our Midwestern winters (although snow tires are always an option). Good cargo space to haul college stuff. Decent driving dynamics. Something with a manual. I'm pretty firm on the manual, mainly because it requires attention on the driver's part and keeps hands off the electronics. I am also planning on having her do a couple autoXs if only to increase her defensive driving capabilities.

Thinking through all this, I've settled on a hatch or wagon form factor, probably from an Asian manufacturer.

A Subaru Outback or Crosstrek immediately springs to mind but used examples come at a premium given the mileage, and manuals are hard to find. GR WRX/STIs are more than I'm willing to spend (insurance costs).

Civics and Corollas of the past few years, I feel pretty meh towards. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing really special either. Corollas didn't have a hatch until recently, manuals are hard to find. Civics, I may be wrong, but no recent hatch version until this current butt ugly gen.

Looking at the Korean manufacturers are a bit more interesting.

For the price, a Kia Soul looks to be the best value and ticks off all the requirements: 5-star safety rating, inexpensive to purchase/insure/maintain. A Hyundai Elantra or Veloster look like really good values as well and may be a bit more engaging (lower cg, really gives confidence in the snow in my experience).

I've yet to drive any of the Koreans mentioned but my wife has a Kia Niro that has served her well the past 2.5 years with no issues to speak of. Casual searching and turbo models can be had for under $15K with low mileage. 10yr/100k transferrable warranty is nice also.

Any other models I should be considering?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Corolla.
CIvic Si.
non turbo impreza.
mazda3.

darcy
Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Ep3 civic si. I moved out my entire apartment minus obvious furniture in it. Dead reliable, under appreciated chassis. If engine blows, which it won't, swap in k20a1.

2006-2009 si, also great choice.

The midwest snow part makes it a bit hard to choose since most awd options are $$.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:59 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I rent economy cars from Budget 15+ weeks a year. I drive more days a year in Corolla's, Jetta's, Mazada, Kia, and cheap Fords than I do in my own car.

I really am impressed with the Toyota Corolla. They're really solid in build. I go over the speed bumps on the fast side just to see how these cars react. Toyota buy far is the most solid and quality feeling. The interior materials are mid pack, but the switches and running gear are as nice as it gets in this class. Handing is mid pack. Good driving position and intuitive buttons. For interior quality, Mazda is best. Really nice details, touch and feel. Good driving dynamics. Car is a little chintzier feeling than Toyota, but above Jetta. The Fords I don't like where they place the A pillar. Several models are at an angle where heavy turns are blinded by the A pillars; might as close your eyes.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:20 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

I’d focus on getting the safest/newest car you can. Of all the modern economy cars, Toyota’s are probably the most reliable.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:33 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 1,002 Posts

For safety reasons I put my then-16 year old daughter in an SUV. The ability to shrug off deer strikes was one factor. She's now been thru an Isuzu Rodeo (AKA Honda Passport), Ford Explorer, and now a Subaru Outback. All of which were/are automatics and all wheel drive. To say the Outback impressed us is an understatement. Between our now-two families we have three of them: one each Outback, Forester, and Legacy 3.5R. My Expedition is the family travel "car" with 4 adults and an infant. The S2000 is our only 2WD or stick shift and rarely has anyone in the right seat.

No longer in North Country (NY) or the Snow Belt (NE Ohio) but I suspect we'll retain AWD vehicles.

-- Chuck
Old 11-10-2019, 06:16 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

If you are looking at used cars, I would suggest a Volvo S60. Volvo's are known for safety and this car is for your daughter. S60 has some crash prevention features only offered on cars 2x their price new. The 4 cylinder engines are reliable. My wife is on her 2nd Volvo and we like the car's over all quality for the price.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 325 Likes on 275 Posts

Jeep Renegade.
Levi
Old 11-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Volvo? Jeep?

-- Chuck
Old 11-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

As soon as I read mid-western winters an awd automatic SUV springs to mind. So Subaru crosstek or outback would be perfect if you ask me, and the Insurance companies love them for a number of reasons. I just went through the same decision as you for our son who got his license and needs to drive to school each day. Deer strikes in the Midwest US seem to be much higher than in our parts for some reason, so an SUV is a bit better for that reason IMO.

For ease of repairs I would say a Honda over anything, they really are easy to repair and maintain. In the Honda line a Honda HR-V is decent or a Honda CR-V, awd versions. Civics will get you through most of the tough stuff but just not as good as an awd vehicle IMO.. If you hit ice in a Civic they tend to understeer and you need to know how to handle a fwd vehicle on ice, awd vehicles still slip and slide on ice and have their own characteristics to deal with.

I have my son driving a Subaru WRX, we traded in the Civic in favour of the Subaru for a number of reasons and so far so good.. We get some pretty big snow storms in our area, and lots of ice-storms. Our other vehicle is a Honda HR-V awd , so both vehicles can handle our winters well and I can put our son in either vehicle as needed.

I kind of like the Subaru awd full time 4 wheel system over the Honda system that alters power back and forth from front to rear. The Honda system can cause you to fishtail easier as it sends power to the rear wheels as the front wheels slip. That can upset the balance a bit more compared to a full-time awd system like Subaru's. Both are good but I prefer the Subaru system.

I haven't warmed up to any Korean vehicles yet, I know their price and warranties attract may owners. The last time I drove a Kia Soul for a day I wanted to push it off a cliff, it was terrible. If you put any kind of weight in the back seats the rear wheels camber like an F1 race car, and the rear springs sag like crap. They are toy cars on wheels, if Mickey Mouse was still alive he would be driving a Kia Soul. lol.

I wish Honda still made the Element, that was one cool utilitarian vehicle.

Quick Reply: Used car for a beginning driver?