Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Used car sellers concealing rust with black spray paint

Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used car sellers concealing rust with black spray paint

I've recently been bitten by the Toyota Land Cruiser bug and start shopping for one. In many instance of browsing, both online and in person, I've seen many trucks with what seems like fresh black spray paint on the under carriage. At a glance the black spray paint makes the chassis appear rust free, but upon closer inspection, I could tell that the surface is rough and there are some spots of rust that are still exposed.

Has anyone else encountered this while shopping for a used cars? Dealers seem to be the usual culprits of this practice of disguising the rust and then calling it "rust free" or in some cases "restored". For example, this one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281365811721...:B:WNA:US:1120
Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't surprise me.......

Find a southern truck. Problem solved.

I too was hankering for Land Cruiser. I ended up with a '93 4Runner instead. I just couldn't justify over twice the price for a comparable Cruiser.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They all get surface corrosion underneath.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1

My last three cars were from rust free locales and it is worth the shipping cost.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1

I too was hankering for Land Cruiser. I ended up with a '93 4Runner instead. I just couldn't justify over twice the price for a comparable Cruiser.
Not always...any that reside on the ocean can be just as bad or worse than a car from up North. Always best to see it with your own eyes and a face to face with the seller can often be revealing.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Why would a truck like this rust? I thought these were can do all epic off roaders.. Seems stupid.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by chino101
I've recently been bitten by the Toyota Land Cruiser bug and start shopping for one. In many instance of browsing, both online and in person, I've seen many trucks with what seems like fresh black spray paint on the under carriage. At a glance the black spray paint makes the chassis appear rust free, but upon closer inspection, I could tell that the surface is rough and there are some spots of rust that are still exposed.

Has anyone else encountered this while shopping for a used cars? Dealers seem to be the usual culprits of this practice of disguising the rust and then calling it "rust free" or in some cases "restored". For example, this one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281365811721...:B:WNA:US:1120

When I bought my Dodge diesel last year, I noticed the same thing with black pain all under the car. This had me spending additional time under the car and after giving everything a good look, I determined that the truck had nothing more than surface rust, if any as the texture was smooth. So far, it appears I've been right as some of the black has come off (which I also expected). I also took a look at Carfax and found that most of it's life was lived in Texas (purchased in Kansas).

I currently live in Nebraska and I have a hard time spending money on a vehicle that has rust and is subjected to harsh winters such as this crap hole. I am going to keep up with the paint or undercoating to help keep rust away as I drive this vehicle all year around. I'm originally from Arizona... I wouldn't buy a cheap Ferrari if it has rust.

Originally Posted by derryck
Originally Posted by Jdrum1' timestamp='1403613360' post='23215629

Not always...any that reside on the ocean can be just as bad or worse than a car from up North. Always best to see it with your own eyes and a face to face with the seller can often be revealing.
I see/hear people say this all the time. Fact is, the salt is not airborne (and it's just as humid where I currently live than any ocean-side state). Salt mixed in snow/water for 5 months a year does a hell of a lot of damage. My S2000 is a Florida car and it's just as clean as cars I have purchased from Arizona.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by derryck' timestamp='1403632624' post='23216164
[quote name='Jdrum1' timestamp='1403613360' post='23215629']

I see/hear people say this all the time. Fact is, the salt is not airborne (and it's just as humid where I currently live than any ocean-side state). Salt mixed in snow/water for 5 months a year does a hell of a lot of damage. My S2000 is a Florida car and it's just as clean as cars I have purchased from Arizona.
[/quote]

I agree, I have always bought used and being in SoCal, never had rust issues even with 15 year old cars. For cars to have rust issues out here, you need to practically live AT the beach. Even cars that are housed just 10 min inland from the beach don't get rusty or corroded.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Google is your friend...I live on the beach in Florida and my AC unit had to be replaced after about 6-7 years due to the accelerated corrosion that DOES OCCUR when you live that close to the ocean. The same thing happens to cars very close to the ocean. I have a house about 65 miles inland that was built in 1977 and still has both original AC units and the exteriors look like they could be only a couple of years old.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by derryck
Google is your friend...I live on the beach in Florida and my AC unit had to be replaced after about 6-7 years due to the accelerated corrosion that DOES OCCUR when you live that close to the ocean. The same thing happens to cars very close to the ocean. I have a house about 65 miles inland that was built in 1977 and still has both original AC units and the exteriors look like they could be only a couple of years old.

The AC should be a sealed system free from water. What exactly failed on it?

I would have to know more about the system and such. Given AC's pull water out of the air from cold surfaces, you're going to have moisture... In any humid climate.