Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Vehicles THEY Are Not Building

Old 05-08-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicles THEY Are Not Building

I often feel that as automotive consumers in North America, we are not being offered enough choice. It's easy to sit back and dream of vehicles that we would love to be able to buy, but can't. I'm not talking about a mid-engined, 600 hp car selling for $10,000, that's obviously never going to happen. I am talking about vehicles that make sense, and could plausibly be built and sold economically.

I resent the lack of a low-priced, lightweight, RWD coupe in the marketplace. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a segment that is virtually empty. You can purchase a Ford Mustang, but it is too big, and too heavy. There is the Mazda MX-5, but it is a two-seat roadster, not a 2+2 coupe. Am I missing anything? Is there anything that fits this description currently in the market? I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe, if it isn't overly heavy, complicated, and expensive, this vehicle could fit the bill.

Another vehicle that I think would do well in the marketplace is a lightweight, inexpensive, Small (er), fuel efficient (hybrid?) pickup truck. Ideally for me it would only seat two and come with a turbocharged 4 cylinder, but I don't think this is likely to happen. What I think would sell better is a hybrid, full cab, 4 seater, with lightweight uni-body construction and RWD (option for 4wd?). Hell, if a company (Toyota?Nissan?Honda?) invested in the platform for the coupe as described above, they should be able to adapt to my funky little pickup idea. Toyota is testing the waters with its A-Bat concept (looks like a baby Ridgeline), I think this may become a reality near in the future.

Does anyone else long for these? Do you have any of your own to add?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 AM

The light rwd coupe yes. Modern day 240 would indeed be nice.
Ford Ranger works as a small truck. Cheap, mileage in the mid twenties, seats 4 in a pinch.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

That's EXACTLY what I'd also like to see on the market, instead of the veritable plethora of oversized/overweight/overwrought monstrosities we get instead.

A new 240SX is needed on the market. More in the S13 vein than the overweight S15 evolution, please!

Small, cheap, lightweight rwd/irs 2+2 hatch, I'm THERE.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai stands to lead the pack! I agree that slice of a segment is wide open, especially for a more comfortable car than the Miata (Americans are fat as a group).

But I'm not certain the American consumer is discriminating enough to choose RWD as a feature. For example, front-drive Acuras sell well against rear-drive BMW's, at just slightly lower price. And that segment is probably just a wealthier group of the same mindset. So Hyundai has to compete with, say, the RSX and SRT-4.

I recall Mfr's went to front-drive because it was cheaper to make. So we enthusiasts might love it while it could be non-competitive.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuggles,May 8 2008, 10:04 AM
I resent the lack of a low-priced, lightweight, RWD coupe in the marketplace. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a segment that is virtually empty. You can purchase a Ford Mustang, but it is too big, and too heavy. There is the Mazda MX-5, but it is a two-seat roadster, not a 2+2 coupe. Am I missing anything? Is there anything that fits this description currently in the market?
Mazda RX-8
Alternatives:
Mazdaspeed 3 (granted, FWD, but that doesn't seem to hurt its performance much.)
STI, EVO (although AWD)
Audi A3 (probably a bit heavier than you're looking for)

Regarding the truck - a previous gen Tacoma. Mine is about 3100 lbs and gets 20 to 22 mpg.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just lightweight vehicles in general would be my vote. Particularly cheap, lightweight sportscars. Other than the S2000, which is on its way out, there really aren't any lightweight, basic RWD sportcars (other than maybe the miata) that don't cost an arm and a leg. I could care less about folding hardtops, luxury amenities, AWD, etc.

I REALLY wish Honda would make a new S2000. But it would have to be an evolution of the current car - lightweight, highrevving naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, RWD, classic styling, etc...much like Porsche has been doing with the 911 for decades. A cayman competitor coupe version, in addition to the convertible, would also be great. Honda needs a halo car. If it weren't for the S2000, I would never have become the Honda nut that I am today

On a side note, props to Nissan for their rumored 370Z. Finally a new car that gets lighter, not heavier...and more power too!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 AM

A Ford Ranger or Tacoma are small trucks, but not what I am talking about. Trucks, just like cars, have become heavier and larger over the years. I am talking about a truck the size of a Honda Civic. Granted, this wouldn't make a lot of sense in most US states, as a truck this small can't haul much, but I think it would make a great utilitarian alternative to an econo hatchback (Yaris , fit etc.)I'm thinking this could be really funky (maybe I'm the only one who thinks this would be neat).

As far as the RX-8 goes, I considered it, but at $38,000 (CDN) it isn't nearly cheap enough, and it isn't a true coupe. The EVO, STI, and A3 are neither RWD, cheap enough, or light enough. When I say light I am thinking MAX 2600 lbs.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Honda needs to bring back the Insight. Talk about a car that was before it's time. Right as gas prices started to explode, Honda decides to stop making the car. The resale market is crazy on these things now. People are getting ridiculous prices, even for very high mileage insights. I guess 61/68 mpg does sound pretty good right now. BRING IT BACK!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

Toyota had a winner staring them in the face and they blew it. A 2300 pound RWD roadster in the MR2 spyder that would have done sixty in under 6 seconds and delivered near 40 on the highway IF they had included the celica GTS engine.

Instead it got the base model celica four which only made 140 hp. Sixty in over seven seconds, decent milage but not too much fun. They then turn around and sell the engine to lotus who then puts it into an Elise for $40k. Toyota could have delivered nearly the same car for low $20k prices that entusiast salivate for and would have the added bonus of high fuel economy.

Its my understanding they did not use the more powerful engine to "protect" sales of the pricier celica model, which was already dying a slow death.

Nice move Toyota.

If I were a billionaire I would launch a car company called "Commuter" and sell sporty 1500 pound cars that basically are rolling racing safety cages with about 150 hp and air conditioning. The cars would be small two seaters made to be fun, stylish, and efficient but just to be a family's second car for running to and from work.

No bells and whisltes to keep the cost down. Basically I have just described a slightly safer version of my brothers old CRX.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 AM

+1 for lighter weight

More weight works against every portion of the car. You need bigger brakes to stop it, more engine to move it, the suspension works harder, gas mileage is worse, etc.

My example would be the new M3. The E46 had 333 horses and weighed 3415 and was no slouch, the new one has 420 and weighs 3704 pounds and still kicks ass. The suspension guys at BMW deserve alot of credit for hiding all the weight so well. Now I understand it may be cheaper to add power and just leave the weight, because in order to have the same power to weight ratio the old car would have had to weigh 2937 pounds. Adding 90 horses is easier than taking out nearly 500 pounds, but at least make an effort. Give me 45 more horses and drop 250 pounds.

Not trying to pick on BMW, because we all know every manufacturer is doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Vehicles THEY Are Not Building