Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Volvo Reliability

Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Reliability

Don't hear much about Volvo's on this board. I'm looking for a sedan for my parents in the 5-10k range and saw a 2002 Volvo S60 on craigslist for way under blue book value, cheaper than any Camry or Accord. The outside styling is better and the interior can't be compared IMO. But how is the reliability? I heard that some of the S60's have transmission problems, is it true? Any other sedans you guys could recommend?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 500 Likes on 382 Posts

I too looked into volvos, love how they have everything I like about euro cars: smelly leather, bold styling, good attention to detail, etc. But I've read into the s60s and they do have their share of problems, nothing life threatening like an engine, the auto trannies on the T6s (or was it t5, keep forgetting) are suppose to be glass, but the lower range are suppose to be rock solid. But, electrical problems as usual. But considering the price, leaves a lot of room for repairs.
Of course if you read through under the hood type forums, you're going to get problems galore, but ud get that reading through our forum as well, doesnt make teh S an inherently problematic car, so I'm still trying to decipher it all. Unfortuantely, not many volvo enthusiasts on these boards who could give us a meaningful perspective since enthusiasts are more in tune on what's a reasonable amount of problems, lol. Hopefully one will chime in.
But I do know the old volvos (like 80s and such) run forever, I mean 200K+ with only oil changes and gas.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 AM

My parents had a 780 (the decent looking coupe designed by Bertone) and that thing was pretty trouble free for 200K miles until they sold it. I don't have any personal experience with them but they seem like pretty solid cars.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:09 AM

buddy at the office has a xc70 with like 70k on it...just dropped like $5k into it this year for tranny, engine mounts, some wiring, brakes. Good times.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 AM

I have heard nothing good of volvo reliability. I have a friend and between him and his parents they have owned 5 volvos and they've all had problems, especially his Mom's S80, that thing has left her stranded on the highway more than 4 times.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 AM

I believe the older cars were quite bulletproof. 400s, 700s, etc.

But with regards to the FoMoCo generation of cars...starting with S80 and such, I'm not so sure. That said, if your getting an S80 for a good price, just have it inspected by someone who knows Volvo's intimately and get their opinion on it.

Even if they don't have the greatest track record for reliability, doesn't mean that the car won't be fun to own. Half the time, the problem lies with owners not doing the required maintenance and service on these euro-lux vehicles for some reason or the other (cost or laziness or both).
Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 AM

I have heard nothing good of volvo reliability. I have a friend and between him and his parents they have owned 5 volvos and they've all had problems, especially his Mom's S80, that thing has left her stranded on the highway more than 4 times.
If they keep having all of these problems why do they keep buying Volvos...this makes absolutely no sense?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a S60R for 2 years now (bought new) and haven't had one real problem with it. The only problem is the OEM tires wear out ridiculously quick.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 500 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by derryck,Jul 21 2008, 07:32 AM
If they keep having all of these problems why do they keep buying Volvos...this makes absolutely no sense?
agreed.

From what I've been reading it's really hit or miss, some say that they're comparatively reliable, about what you'd expect from a euro lux car. Others say they're horrible. I dunno, it's like asking what do you think about the previous gen acura tl or v6 accord of teh same vintage, people will say rock solid, others will say tranny issues.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Jul 21 2008, 11:55 AM
agreed.

From what I've been reading it's really hit or miss, some say that they're comparatively reliable, about what you'd expect from a euro lux car. Others say they're horrible. I dunno, it's like asking what do you think about the previous gen acura tl or v6 accord of teh same vintage, people will say rock solid, others will say tranny issues.
I have no idea. His mom complains about her S80 all the time and then they just bought his sister a S40 last year. I'm just as confused as you guys.

Quick Reply: Volvo Reliability