Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Weird thing happened on the bike tonight

Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird thing happened on the bike tonight

So I am riding with a friend of mine and we are going about 50. He is ahead of me and we speed up and get over a lane and sunddenly my bike starts making a weird noise.. "wrap wrap wrap wrap" With a helmet on I can't tell if it is my bike or my friends.

A few things run through my head. I have been worried about my rear tire that night as it felt a little low. So I thought for a split second that my power race is a bit bald so it may be blown, but no I would have felt that... Then I think I somehow had an exhaust leak somewhere. Why so sudden? I immediatly pulled over to see what it was hoping for a piece of tar stuck to a tire hitting the fender liner... not the case.

I proceed to head home with my bike chugging weakly along with a huge amount of power loss. I knew I had lost a cylinder. I knew a gasket or exhaust leak would not equate for the power loss.

I am thinking to myself along the way "Those mother ****ers sold me a ****ed up bike" because I really don't rag on it at all and did all the scheduled maintenence.

I get to my friends house as he wonders where I dissappeared to, and we search for exhaust leaks ect ect. Somehow my coil pack popped out! I dont know if you have had to mess with them but they are nicely crammed into an impossible spot unless you dissassemble the gastank and more nice airfilter stuff. So that is how I spend my Saturday... taking apart the bike.

We try to push the coil pack back down but no, it wont go. Finally I take it out to discover my spark plug had become completly unattached. Whoever worked on the bike last did not take care of it because many bolts were missing as well. I am pissed but we fixed the problem and all is well.

It kinda makes me want to take the whole bike apart and re assemble everything.

Sorry its a bit long.

Weird huh?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Used bikes can be sketchy..... was your bike bought new?

Just the other day in the S2000, the wife and I saw a couple by the side of the rode with a m/c. They looked like they needed help so we turned around and asked them. As I pulled up to them I saw a skid mark, I asked what happened, THE BIKE LOCKED UP ON THEM. He had just bought this bike used and was P!$$3D.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:09 PM

Whoa crazy. I bought it with 2k miles on it.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never buy a used bike! Trust me you should see what people do to a bike! I never broke in any of my bikes! Ragged on from 0 miles!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by JDM AP1 11,Oct 14 2007, 02:31 PM
Never buy a used bike! Trust me you should see what people do to a bike! I never broke in any of my bikes! Ragged on from 0 miles!
awesome
Old 10-14-2007, 11:03 AM

That was my biggest fear as I started looking at used bikes then I decided
for me it was best just to buy new

At least your ok and didn't get hurt
Old 10-14-2007, 03:11 PM

i bought my monster used and have had ZERO issues to date. What kind of bike do you ride?

find a clean, mechanically sound used bike and its just as good as a new one except someone took the financial hit of buying it new.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:18 AM

I always find it hard to buy any supersport bike used, you just don't know what people do to it. There a reason why I buy an R6 and not FZ6.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:24 PM

I have an 06 R6. Even so my situation doesnt really have to do with the owner of the bike prior to me but more so whoever worked on it. No telling how long the spark plug was loose, my bike now feels much better power wise than it ever has.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't buy a supersport bike used, unless it was a salvage bike for track only use, then it doesn't really matter, I'd probably be much harder on it than anyone else could have, and I'd be going over it completely during the rebuild. I did however buy my vfr800 used, but only after talking to the owner extensively, quizzing him about general bike stuff, and visiting him at home to see how his garage is. He is a bike nut, who rebuilds vintage bikes, so I think I'm in the clear.

Quick Reply: Weird thing happened on the bike tonight