Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What advantage does a BMW 6 series have over a 3?

Old 10-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What advantage does a BMW 6 series have over a 3?

Not a flame or anything. Just kind of curious. Theyre both 2+2 gt cars....luxury loaded and etc.

I know the 6 is probably faster than the 3 series coupe, but is it heavier too? I see people taking the M3 to the track, but I have yet to see anyone take a 6 series to one. I'm also wondering how the new M6 will handle at the track (ie, will it be a better track car than the next gen. M3)

Apart from greater horsepower, what does the 6 series bring to the table that the 3 series coupe cannot bring?

I'm guessing its similar to what the Prelude is to the integra....or am I getting it all wrong?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:49 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ha, I've said that forever. The 6 is (IMO) worse than the 3-series b/c it's heavier and it's got nothing in the way of rear seats.

Funny thing, this guy I know went from M3 to M5 to 645Ci.. and he likes the 6 the best. I think he's insane. I think he likes the 6 b/c it's new or b/c no one else has one or b/c it's got bigger rims or whatever makes people buy a lesser performing car over a better performing car. Or who buy a more expensive car over a cheaper car just b/c the more expensive car has more status. This is just IMO

:rant off:
Old 10-20-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It proves you have more money and poor eye sight. Also, you can't buy a current generation (are they 2006?) 3 series drop top.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Oct 20 2005, 01:49 PM
Ha, I've said that forever. The 6 is (IMO) worse than the 3-series b/c it's heavier and it's got nothing in the way of rear seats.

Funny thing, this guy I know went from M3 to M5 to 645Ci.. and he likes the 6 the best. I think he's insane. I think he likes the 6 b/c it's new or b/c no one else has one or b/c it's got bigger rims or whatever makes people buy a lesser performing car over a better performing car. Or who buy a more expensive car over a cheaper car just b/c the more expensive car has more status. This is just IMO

:rant off:
Yeah, I've been thinking that its more of a status symbol, but people were going to flame me if I said it. I haven't driven either, so I can't make any judgements. That's why I thought I'd ask people here. What are their impressions?

Personaly, I like both the 6 and 3 series (visualy), and the 6 series def. has a "presence" because of its size and design. But does it do anything "better" than a 3 series coupe? (again, not a flame, just an honest question)
Old 10-20-2005, 02:20 PM

uh... getting a better ride (not the car kind)....
Old 10-20-2005, 02:26 PM
rai

[QUOTE=Saint_Spinner,Oct 20 2005, 02:06 PM] But does it do anything "better" than a 3 series coupe?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:48 PM

advantages are the same as any other lower and higher end vehicle of a similar config (ie coupes), ie 3er sedan v. 5er sedan, c class vs. e class, es vs. gs...

-bigger/more room
-v8/more power
-newer design
-more exotic/less plebian
-there isn't one on every street corner/originality/more prestige

the 3er is entry/near luxury, the 6er is a luxury gt
the 330ci is a sedan with 2 doors removed, sharing most body panels with the coupe
Old 10-20-2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ridgeway,Oct 20 2005, 02:48 PM
advantages are the same as any other lower and higher end vehicle of a similar config (ie coupes), ie 3er sedan v. 5er sedan, c class vs. e class, es vs. gs...

-bigger/more room
-v8/more power
-newer design

the 330ci is a sedan with 2 doors removed, sharing most body panels with the coupe
But does it really have more room? Judging from photos, it seems as though the 3 series coupe has a larger interior (boxier greenhouse)....
Old 10-20-2005, 04:26 PM
rai

Originally Posted by Ridgeway,Oct 20 2005, 02:48 PM

-bigger/more room
-v8/more power
-newer design

The 6-series has less room than the 3-coupe. They're both sub-compacts. 6-series has 81 cu ft vs 84 cu ft for the 3-coupe.

FYI the 6-series has the EXACT same (listed) interior room as the RSX

The rest of what you say is true.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:45 PM

Before you judge too harshly, I suggest you go drive them both. If you can't tell the difference then get off the drugs son....

There is a difference. Driving the cars maybe the only way to tell but there is believe me.

Quick Reply: What advantage does a BMW 6 series have over a 3?