Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What car offers the best combination of awd, mpg, and fun, for the money?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Get an Evo. Super reliable, cheap to maintain, makes power easily and cheaply...

Did I mention that with a good tune on 91/93 you can get 28-30 MPG on the highway? Also, if you spend $200 and upgrade the rear diff with better locking plates, you can get power oversteer on an Evo 8/9. My Evo 8 now slides the rear out like a RWD car, but goes much faster through corners due to AWD dynamics. Feels INSANE.
Had an IX RS. Agree on them being reliable (minus the ACD issue), but not the cheapest to maintain. 60k tune-up set owners back a few grand depending on where they got the work done (I remember stories about some stealerships charging $5k + parts). Although I kept mine stock its entire life, every penny I spent was worth it. I regret selling mine every day.

On the topic of the A3 - I was also very disappointed with Quattro only being available with the auto. Its like how Lexus never offered the IS350 with a manual, or the IS250 manual without the AWD. And (to a lesser extent) the Matrix XRS without the manual.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Al
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1364257270' post='22428112
Get an Evo. Super reliable, cheap to maintain, makes power easily and cheaply...

Did I mention that with a good tune on 91/93 you can get 28-30 MPG on the highway? Also, if you spend $200 and upgrade the rear diff with better locking plates, you can get power oversteer on an Evo 8/9. My Evo 8 now slides the rear out like a RWD car, but goes much faster through corners due to AWD dynamics. Feels INSANE.
Had an IX RS. Agree on them being reliable (minus the ACD issue), but not the cheapest to maintain. 60k tune-up set owners back a few grand depending on where they got the work done (I remember stories about some stealerships charging $5k + parts). Although I kept mine stock its entire life, every penny I spent was worth it. I regret selling mine every day.

On the topic of the A3 - I was also very disappointed with Quattro only being available with the auto. Its like how Lexus never offered the IS350 with a manual, or the IS250 manual without the AWD. And (to a lesser extent) the Matrix XRS without the manual.
I have an ACD-less '04 RS. Reliabe!

I have no idea who would pay a few grand for the 60k tune-up... it is only a few hundred bucks to do the timing belt etc. Stealerships must've got to em.

Fluid changes are cheap, tires are pretty cheap (to an S2000 owner anyways), I can't think of anything expensive on this car. Honestly the most expensive things for me have been the mods! These things respond so well to mods and it's so easy to get a ton of handling/power out of them for such little money. Hard to resist.

You should get your RS back.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM

I think what kept me away from mods was actually the fear of regular maintenance costs. I remember spending a few hundred on some DBA rotors + pads package from an Evo vendor (did the labor myself), and I think $600-ish for the front wheel bearing towards the end of ownership. Also went through 3 sets of A046's, 1 set of RE-01R's, and partially through a set of Continental Extreme DW's plus 5 winters on Blizzak WS70's. I guess I'm kind of cheap too. It was super tough because I live 20 minutes from AMS.

Honestly cannot think of a better car to fit the AWD + Fun to drive bill though. I managed roughly 21mpg in mixed driving which I don't think is bad with this car. I recall simple reflashes had the added benefit of making the car run less rich and helping out mpg's even more.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I think what kept me away from mods was actually the fear of regular maintenance costs. I remember spending a few hundred on some DBA rotors + pads package from an Evo vendor (did the labor myself), and I think $600-ish for the front wheel bearing towards the end of ownership. Also went through 3 sets of A046's, 1 set of RE-01R's, and partially through a set of Continental Extreme DW's plus 5 winters on Blizzak WS70's. I guess I'm kind of cheap too. It was super tough because I live 20 minutes from AMS.

Honestly cannot think of a better car to fit the AWD + Fun to drive bill though. I managed roughly 21mpg in mixed driving which I don't think is bad with this car. I recall simple reflashes had the added benefit of making the car run less rich and helping out mpg's even more.
Waah 200 bucks for rotors and pads. Try 1100 a rotor
Old 03-31-2013, 04:44 PM

lol yeah I'm sure there was worse out there. But that's why I count myself lucky that I avoided the bite of the mod bug all those years.

Another thought - do they offer the 1-series with an Xdrive version?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:51 PM

2013. 328i XDrive

Great gas mileage, tunable for more power and very comfortable

With a chip can make close to 300awhp
Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Is the 328 turbo now? Didn't know that.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Yes - I4 with a tiny turbo.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That's pretty cool. Didn't know they switched over to that.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, stuff is super cheap for the Evo. Front wheel bearing = $75 if you know where to go. Rotors = $120. Track-ready pads that can be used for DD are $220 for a full set if you know where to look as well. How do I know? I just put in new wheel bearings the other day, and new pads + rotors the other month.

The funny thing is, the car really loses no reliability with mods, and in fact, the engine runs safer and more efficiently once tuned.

Quick Reply: What car offers the best combination of awd, mpg, and fun, for the money?