Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What to do: Entering turn too fast with RWD

Old 02-24-2003, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do: Entering turn too fast with RWD

As a driver of a WWD car, I'm curious how RWD drivers handle this situation: If you've misjudged a turn, and you're entering it too fast, what should your response be? If you brake heavily thru the turn, you'll unweight the rear, oversteer, and likely spin out. But if you don't brake much, then you won't make it through the turn anyway. Seems kind of like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation...I realize that the proper technique is to brake prior to the turn, and then accelerate after the apex, but being human, I'm wondering what RWD do when then misjudge their speed or the tightness of the turn.

With my WWD (wrong-wheel drive, aka FWD) car, if I brake heavily, I'll understeer, but as long as I have a decently wide lane while turning, I can skid a few feet and still maintain control. Are there any compensatory techniques when driving a RWD car? Thanks.

-Andrew
Old 02-24-2003, 06:11 AM

Yeah I would like to know, but since I don't drive a RWD car, I am guessing you apply more gas as your are spinning out to prevent the tail from going around.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends upon the car, how hot you are, and how soon you recognize the problem. The S2000 does not do well if you unload the rear and will almost always bring the rear around, where more forgiving cars might hang in and scrub off speed. If you are really hot you have two choices, stay on the gas and try to make it through or put two feet in and drive off the course in a straight line.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:35 AM

it's hard for me to say since I have never gone in hotter than I could handle but if you do misjudge a corner in a RWD car, and you have tires that are up to snuff......hang on, take the best line you can and hope for the best. if you oversteer ......then counter steer the necessary amount while looking where you want to go, modulate the rear end with throttle if possible.

That is assuming you have no run off area. if you do............ turn in.....countersteer the necessary amount......both feet in and get it over with.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:13 AM

you've basically already answered yourself... 'entering a turn too fast'. Regardless of whether you're RWD, FWD, AWD or WWD (Whatever Wheel Drive), if you've entered a corner too fast you basically have the law of physics working against you already. All 4 tyres will have passed their limits of adhesion and you will plough into the corner (understeer) regardless whether you are RWD or otherwise.

However if you are approaching the limit of traction while entering into the corner then you should still be in control of the car and be able to pull out of the corner unscathed, provided you follow your usual mid-corner balance fundamentals. The only difference is that being on the limit, you have little or no room for error so even slightly unbalancing the car or ham fisted jerks at the wheel will have you off the road/track in no time. Therefore it is always best to judge your corner entry speed and allow for a margin of error. On the road, you should NEVER enter an unfamiliar corner with an optimistic entry speed. There are just too many variables like road debris, oil patches, sudden off camber changes, decreasing radius turns, etc. that will land you in trouble. As always, better slow in and fast out - that pays true for fast lap times on the track as well as general safety on the road.

Safe driving!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:02 AM

I say left-foot brake, get the rear to step out slightly, then power on out of the corner with a nice slide.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I say slam the gas as hard as you can and try and get some good air off the guard rail. If you're gonna drive past your limits, might as well do it in style!

But really, it depends on when you realize the situation. I'm no expert, and I wouldn't have 30 seconds to think about what to do if the situation were to come up, but I would slam the brake as hard as you could while keeping the wheel straight to bleed off as much speed as possible. Then give just a bit of gas to transfer the weight back to the mid/rear of the car and try to steer out just before hitting the guard rail. You may even try a bit or trail braking to get your car pointed in the right direction, first.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:29 AM

I know that many S2k owners have removed the stock equipment (ie exhaust, donut tire, etc) to save on weight.......Im wondering does the reduction in weight have something to do with greater spinouts? Since the 49/51 weight distribution is thrown off wack???
Old 02-24-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJ Qube
[B]But really, it depends on when you realize the situation.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by cdelena

Huh? I assume this is happening on the track (you have no business at the limit elsewhere) and you probably have <2 seconds to react. If you choose to brake you must steer straight off the track if it all possible because if you are too fast and turning you WILL spin.
I am familiar with spinning on the track . Continue reading my post, though. I suggested braking hard AND STRAIGHT into the turn, then gassing and turning out. If you late apex, you get more time (and distance) to bleed your speed. Of course, it depends on the geometry of the turn.

Quick Reply: What to do: Entering turn too fast with RWD