Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What if...near-lux family car... under $30K

Old 09-10-2005, 04:53 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What if...near-lux family car... under $30K

I was thinking about something new in the not too distant future.

I mentioned to my wife something about the new Civic Si (for me) and she got interested but somehow it turned into her car. She is driving a Trooper which gets ~15 MPG. So I got to thinking if it was for her or 50/50 me/her the Si would not be the way to go.

Got round to thinking about the TSX (as a grown up Si) with 6-speed MT etc..

So then I got to thinking the V6 accord sedan now with w/6-speed costs about the same as the TSX.

So then I thought of the Legacy GT 2.5L turbo and possibly G35 sedan.

My wife would like to stay away from RWD and I'd like to keep it less than $30K and I'd like a MT.

I'd like to get something fairly loaded: stability control a plus , NAV a plus, heated seats a must, HIDs a plus etc..

btw it doesn't have to be a sedan. High mileage is a plus.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get TSX with Nav option for 29k and i'm sure you can work a deal with the dealer to lower it little bit.

TSX would be my vote.

nice luxury, comfortable yet little performance and plus it looks good IMO.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:03 PM
rai

Originally Posted by Young_R,Sep 10 2005, 04:57 PM
you can get TSX with Nav option for 29k and i'm sure you can work a deal with the dealer to lower it little bit.

TSX would be my vote.

nice luxury, comfortable yet little performance and plus it looks good IMO.
I saw that. It's the same price +/- a few bucks for the 06 Accord V6 with nav...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:47 PM

Accord doesn't have HID's, but I don't know how important those are for you. And the TSX is a much lighter overall package, and thus much sportier.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:15 PM
rai

Just read in C&D the TSX will get 205hp and mild restyle front and rear as well as nav and audio system upgrade (for 06)

I'm probably 6 months away b/c I have some bills I want to take care of first.

I'd probably lean towards the TSX over the accord b/c I like the HIDs and I tend to not like over-powerful FWD cars like the V6 accord.

BTW speaking of fuel mileage the V6 accord and the TSX have around the same epa rating but the TSX has a higher final drive ratio.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:28 PM

TSX gets my vote, but i'm probably partial since I own one. 8)

Great handling for a sedan, reasonably quick when you need it to be. And all the equipment you mentioned is standard. Just make sure you get the 6 speed!!

Oh, and great mileage! I regularly get 31 mpg, which is 2 above what the sticker said.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:29 PM

Wow you get 31mpg? That's better than the Honda Accord 4cyl 5sp I drove. It got 28's alot.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it's all in how you plant your right foot.

also, my vote is the TSX. HIDs and a lighter car. The accord is nice, but you're going to have to wrestle with torque steer on that one. The TSX doesn't have all that much I hear. Plus, I like ligher, high revving cars.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't the Accord hybrid accelerate better than the non-hybrid? Or am I still stuck in last year?
Old 09-11-2005, 03:56 PM

I've got the accord v6 and can't say i wrestle with the wheel at all. It's a bit annoying from a standstill where you can't help but squeel the tires, otherwise, it's pretty good.

I didn't get the TSX because it is way too high strung for what it is supposed to be. When I got a sport-lux, I don't want to wind out the gears to 7800+ just to get some power. I'm sure it handles great, but honestly, how often do we get to take advantage of that on today's congested roads and the amount of highways that are use (of course if you live in Cali, it's a totally diff story).

I love my accord v6, great car, great value, sweet motor. It's sewing machine smooth, and will keep up with costlier rides.

Quick Reply: What if...near-lux family car... under $30K