Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What if...near-lux family car... under $30K

Old 09-11-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Sep 11 2005, 03:53 PM
Doesn't the Accord hybrid accelerate better than the non-hybrid? Or am I still stuck in last year?
yes it does. About a half second faster if I remember right.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went through the same thing about a year ago...

We got the V6 Accord, BEST ENGINE EVER. The handling is a bit too mushy for my taste and the stock tires suck but that can all be fixed. We're leaving it as is because she leased this one until she can afford what she really wants but if it was my car...
You should go test drive one, you won't be disappointed. The torque is awesome (feels better than the 350Z I used to have) and the engine sound is amazing.
The TSX is nice too but wouldn't you rather have the better engine than some interior trim, chrome on the door handles...
The legacy GT is also a nice option, my folks have an outback 2.5GT and it pulls hard, it probably handles better than the accord out of the box as well but will use more fuel. I think either are good choices for different reasons.
The G35 sedan is ok, better than the coupe IMO but having had the Z and ditched it, I gotta tell you I like the accords engine much better than the one you'll get in the G.
Hope I was helpful.

Oh, BTW, I think that a lightly moded (I,H,E) manual accord V6 coupe would probably hang with if not beat the S2k. Stock they run mid 14's.

Good luck
Old 09-11-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too vote for the TSX over the other two cars.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:09 AM

TSX is great because it comes with plenty of equipment and feels quite nice while driving. For me, I couldn't get an accord... its just another Honda.

The G35 is cool and handles well. However, my issue with the car is that it is starting to feel old in the interior department. Not to mention, at least in the one I drove, there were some NVH issues that made the car feel old. It only had 28 miles on the odo. A recent article in a rag noted the same thing ironically.

Personally, I chose the Legacy GT. It suited me well. It has plenty of luxury for me and is a natural step when you get tired of your noisy STi. The only issue with the Legacy is that the NAV only comes on the automatic and it does not come with HIDs. The radio also doesn't have any provisions for iPod or XM/Sirius. However, if you want to go fast on a budget and be under the radar, its really tough to beat. You can extract approx 310 flywheel hp as it sits or you can easily swap STi engine parts for <$2000 and have 290-300whp, making it a 350-360hp sleeper with plenty of comfort to boot. Retrofiting HIDs works very well with the stock projectors too.

At this time, it isn't very hard to get a 05 Legacy GT for <26,000 due to rebates. The 06 auto comes with NAV as an option. Later on the B4 will be out and that one will have red leather seats, aluminum control arms, 18" wheels, NAV, MT, steering wheel controls, Bilstein shocks....
Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Now that you can get an Accord Sedan V6 w/ 6spd, I'd probably have to consider it over the TSX (especially since they deal on the Accords a lot easier than they do on the TSX, which is selling in record numbers). The Accord motor is a monster - it really, really turns the Accord into a seriously quick family sedan.

That said, if I did get the Accord, I'd have to make some suspension changes. Lower the car, stiffen the suspension, and add anti-roll bars (fairly easy to do).

My brother owns a TSX and it is, bar none, the nicest "small" sedan I've ever been in for under $30K. I like it better than the A4 by quite a bit and the 3-Series at that price isn't really the nicest thing on the planet. I haven't been in a new Legacy GT so I can't comment on that.

The TSX is flickable, it accelerates decently (and it's got a LOT of potential - check the latest article on www.vtec.net on modding the motor), it gets good gas mileage, has a great transmission, and it has a ton of standard features.

The responsible me would get the Accord. The funner side of me would get the TSX every time. If it's just you and your wife in the car, the TSX is the right machine for you. If you're carrying others regularly, I'd have to go with the Accord.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:46 AM

TSX A-Spec!
Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever consdier the Mazda3 or Mazda6? I know the mazda3 is pretty cheap and you can get one fully loaded. Handles pretty damn good too...not to mention nice heated seats and stuff....
Old 09-12-2005, 10:20 AM

I had an 04 Blue TSX before I got my S2000. It is a beautiful car...Awsome sound system...Nice power...Smooth ride...Handles great....It will put a BMW 330i to shame IMHO...I didn`t have the 6 speed I had the auto but still nice...Climate control you name it...I didn`t get the Navi it was too much...My friend Mark has an 03 V6 Accord...Yes the Acorrd it alot faster but the TSX handles ALOT better and is more conforitable to ride in and drive eveyday....Ride better...ETC...

Its funny because its a 4Door RSX lol....Oh yeah and over seas the TSX is the Accord
Old 09-12-2005, 10:44 AM

all new hyundai XG ?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm not gonna look until the new year. But the TSX (IMO) looks better. I'm not too burned about 0-60 times.

Hmm too funny I started out thinking about a cheap car but all the bells and whistles are hard to pass on. Ha, I may just look at a Civic coupe or Mazda 3 (see what $15K will get me).

I know used cars can get more for less, but I like new.

The new Si does look nice, but if it's $20K then the TSX isn't that much farther down that road.

Quick Reply: What if...near-lux family car... under $30K