Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What makes a "true" sports car.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 490 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by newyawkballa
2005+ Lotus Elise/Exige are the ultimate sports car..... Case closed
Well... where does it lie between the sportscar/racecar spectrum, id argue the exige is more of a racecar than sportscar, no wait, maybe theres another category for trackcars. I mean what about ariel atoms??? Clearly, arent we just trying to prove that the s2000 is the uber sportscar?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 490 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1339267780' post='21768581
The pony car vs sports car is one I don't really get. Take the last gen 300ZX vs the Camaro. What makes the 300ZX a GT/sports car while the Camaro is a Pony car? I mean the Z28 was really quick, handled well, certainly didn't look like a sedan (Mustang). It seems to me it was every bit a sports car if the 300ZX was one. I also disagree with the more than two seats thing. The F1 had 3 and any more than 1 means you are added weight.

Anyway, just things to think about.
To me, a pony car is out of balance on purpose... Higher levels of power than the chassis can realistically use and typically better for drag racing than track racing.
Before some knucklehead says some shit about the boss mustang, I will point out threat I don't consider the boss to be a pony car. Note they improved nearly every part of that car to bring it more into balance and it is nowhere near as powerful as some other variants.
The mustang is nearly impossible to classify as a product line; you have to look at each model individually and the power variance is ridiculous as is the handling capability.
But that flies in the face of sportscar being thoroughbreds, ie cant be based on a lesser more compromised model. And a boss is just a modified, and honestly not that radically modified, mustang gt.
Btw, mustang originally werent geared for drag racin, ford was hesitant to put th big blocks into them initially and their light rear end made them hard to gain traction, they were more meant to be more personal cars for drivng pleasure, ie fun, by being more well rounded, ie balanced. Doesnt that nail most of the criteria, bespoke model focused on driving pleasure an not necessarily racing since that wouldve made it a racecar?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car makes the S2000 seem super civilized. U guys complaining about the S2k being too hardcore, couldn't handle this. Driving pleasure above everything else. The epitome!!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by newyawkballa
This car makes the S2000 seem super civilized. U guys complaining about the S2k being too hardcore, couldn't handle this. Driving pleasure above everything else. The epitome!!
ehh thats not hardcore enough.... lol
Attached Thumbnails What makes a "true" sports car.-img-20120318-00011.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
The gtr has back seats and only coms in auto and is awd, therefore a solstice is more of a sportscar than a gtr.

Lol, this is too much fun. Cant wait for car and driver to say, yeah the 911 is great, but the vette is more of sportscar wereas the 911 is more of a gt car.
Well yeah, with four seats, the size and weight, I'd put the GTR squarely into the Grand Touring class. Just because it can navigate a straight or round track faster than just about anything short of a race car doesn't make it a "sports car". It's the world's biggest GT bargain. And a bit ugly.

As for the 911, the "rear seats" are more of a package shelf or a place for your Chihuahua to ride. I defy you to wriggle into the rear seat of a 911 with another adult and stay there for a 1 hour trip. I'll give that car a pass on the cubby hole behind the front seats because it's not a huge porker to boot.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by newyawkballa' timestamp='1339270387' post='21768668
ehh thats not hardcore enough.... lol
Those are STILL TOOO SOFT.

Too much equiptment on the loti... Too heavy, too many wheels, stereo??? ABS??? Bumpers??? Roof??? Power to weight ratio is still too high. get a sportbike if any of you are confused about what a sporting vehicle should be. Get a 600 (like me) if you scare easily. Get a 1000 if you have balls.

Sorry, I was just stirring the pot. No need to call me a troll.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Still too many wheels, to much mechanical assistance, and not enough actual contact with the environment.

Get a pair of shoes if you want raw, visceral experiences:

Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

^^^Lmaoooooo....Good one!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 PM

This is a pretty good discussion. Clearly, everyone has different views. However, it reminded me of two co-workers arguing a while back. It was the classic case of Mustang fan vs. Camaro fan. I'm sure we've all witnessed it. I'm not hating on either car, I like them both, but as a Honda owner it was fun just to sit there and listen to the back and forth.

Anyhow, the argument was, according to the Camaro fan, that Camaro's are sports cars, but that Mustangs are not. This blew my mind, and I just walked away back to my desk :-) It wasn't that I objected to putting them in the "sport car" category really (personally I don't, but to each their own) it's just that if there were ever two cars so deserving of being in the same category wouldn't it be Mustang and Camaro? The import version of this argument I believe is EVO vs STI.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Still too many wheels, to much mechanical assistance, and not enough actual contact with the environment.

Get a pair of shoes if you want raw, visceral experiences:

That's more like a grand touring shoe.

Of course these are a b*ch in the winter.

Quick Reply: What makes a "true" sports car.