Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what should i expect to pay for insurance

Old 12-08-2004, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i expect to pay for insurance

well im really really contradicting about selling my S and buying a commuter car and a bike. but i keep hearing all kinds of bad things about insurance being higher than my payment, and yada yada.

i tried to get some quotes online but they wont give it to me since i dont have my license yet (next month). but just seeing if you guys could give me any heads up or insurance suggestions since my motorcycle insurance policy will be now under my name (still with the parents since im under 25)

License: i would of just got it
Driving Record: Clean with Mulitple discounts from my present carrier (21st)
Bike: 2001 Honda CBR600F4i

Thanks guys for the help, and hope to be riding soon.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would reccomend looking up some Progressive or Dairyland insurance agents in San Diego and giving them a call for a free quote. Try to stay away from the Hartford (lots of $$$). For full coverage in your situation... if you lived near me (New Mexico) you'd be paying about $1500-$2000 per year for insurance.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:56 PM

It depends on if you want to get full coverage on your F4i. You can probably find places that will sell you just liablility for 150-200 dollars a year.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:13 AM

im 20. no tickets. first time rider and first bike. i have an 03 gsxr 600 i go with state farm and its about $90 a month for full coverage
Old 12-13-2004, 06:43 AM

When I was 20 I had a 94 cbr 600 f4i, and paid ~$16 a month with state farm. I'm now nearly 26 and pay ~$16 a month for my 03' R6.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by elude,Dec 8 2004, 11:00 AM
well im really really contradicting about selling my S and buying a commuter car and a bike. but i keep hearing all kinds of bad things about insurance being higher than my payment, and yada yada.

i tried to get some quotes online but they wont give it to me since i dont have my license yet (next month). but just seeing if you guys could give me any heads up or insurance suggestions since my motorcycle insurance policy will be now under my name (still with the parents since im under 25)

License: i would of just got it
Driving Record: Clean with Mulitple discounts from my present carrier (21st)
Bike: 2001 Honda CBR600F4i

Thanks guys for the help, and hope to be riding soon.
Hmmm, you got some interesting quotes here already. Some of them surprise me a bit in terms of the numbers their quoting but I guess it depends on where your at.

Generally speaking, crotch rockets like Honda's CBR series aren't considered to be good "first" bikes. I don't care how great an auto driver you are, motorcycles are a completely different animal and bikes like the CBR600 are blazingly FAST for experienced riders, much less someone who's brand new to the sport.

Having said that, I've known a few folks through the years that started with a bike like the CBR and did just fine. If you've got the maturity to take it easy and not get cocky with it until you've got some experience, you should be just fine.

Now, to get of that soap box and address your question. I bought a new Goldwing about 10 years ago and there was a young man, about your age and of similar experience, w/ girl friend in tow, that was looking about a CBR600 vs one of the V-twin cruisers of the same engine size. They quoted him prices through Dairyland. The CBR was going to run him around $3200/year while the cruiser was more like $800/year. The things going against him were age, experience, and the high performance nature of the CBR. Back then, that $3200/yr, multiplied by the three year loan he was looking at and he pretty much paid for the bike all over again, just in insurance premiums. Sounds like a "really" good deal for the insurance company.

You'll just have to look around and see what they tell you. The fact that you're looking at a three year old bike should help. I'd also recommend, if you haven't done this already, looking at taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Beginners Riding Course. It will do a number of things for you.

A. They teach really good defensive driving techniques for motorcyclist. At least they give you lots of good info on what to look out for.

B. You get to play around with low speed maneuvers on "their" trainer motorcycles. Most of these are 125 to 250cc street bikes. Honda 250 Rebels are popular. I know it's not a CBR but you can make mistakes with their equipment and not risk yours. Later, you can find an empty parking lot and apply the skills you've learned to what you ride and come back for the Advanced course later if you choose.

C. The insurance companies really like to see this paperwork when you apply for coverage. I don't know how much of a discount you'll get but ever little bit helps!

Best of Luck & Ride Safe,
Steve R.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:32 AM

well, liability only for a 1st time rider is like setting money on fire. who will pay for the damages when the bike hits the deck? because, it will. guaranteed.

considering the bike, the age, and being male, you're looking at alot of cash. over 1k a year at least.

at 35, no tickets, no accidents, years of riding experience i was quoted 3k from progressive or state farm (who insures my home and other vehicles) and from this low budget agent 1800.. this was actually for a gsxr1k.
it wont be cheap unless you get away from the sportbikes.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ricks350,Dec 14 2004, 09:32 AM
it wont be cheap unless you get away from the sportbikes.
Exactly!

As an example, when I bought that Goldwing I mentioned? It was just shy of a $16k bike and full coverage on it was only $400/year when I bought it. And the premiums went down ever year as the bike got older. I kept it for right at six years and the last renewal I made on the bike was just over $250/year for full coverage.

Best of luck!
Steve R.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 PM

thanks for all the tips and advice!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:38 AM

my friend is 20 just got a f4i yesterday and for full coverage hes paying 230 for 6 months. hes actually with statefarm.

Quick Reply: what should i expect to pay for insurance