Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What would you buy for under $40k?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ouhei
Isn't Mitsu circling the drain? I'd have some serious concerns about owning a car from a company that's close to going under. Not a diss on the EVO, more of a long term ownership thing.
Oh wow, looks like you're right. I had no idea what their financial status was. I figured they were doing well because you see evos all over the place in the Pac NW.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...r-in-2014.html

Good call. Please disregard my advice entirely.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absent irrational domestic hate, I can't imagine buying a 370 or the Genesis Coupe over a 5.0 Mustang with the Recaros and the track pack or Camaro 1LE. In fact, even though I have a Boss 302, had I fit in the Camaro with my helmet on, I'd have gotten a 1LE. That car is a serious track day weapon with tremendous aftermarket support and staggering bolt on potential.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a budget of 40k an S3 would probably get my vote. I'm a big fan of mustang 5.0 as well but if you want something with posh and speed the audi would be hard to beat. I'm in a similar time in my life. I LOOOVE the S2000 but only on small spurts and I feel like I'm getting to old to enjoy it like I used to (31 here). It sure doesn't help that my coworkers all drive BMWs and Audis and makes the S2000 seem dare I say a tad juvenile. Getting rid of an S2000 at least for me is a very tough thing to do. And no you're not weird I have the same thing, I don't feel right buying a lesser model of a car.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Aqua
With a budget of 40k an S3 would probably get my vote. I'm a big fan of mustang 5.0 as well but if you want something with posh and speed the audi would be hard to beat. I'm in a similar time in my life. I LOOOVE the S2000 but only on small spurts and I feel like I'm getting to old to enjoy it like I used to (31 here). It sure doesn't help that my coworkers all drive BMWs and Audis and makes the S2000 seem dare I say a tad juvenile. Getting rid of an S2000 at least for me is a very tough thing to do. And no you're not weird I have the same thing, I don't feel right buying a lesser model of a car.
Don't cave to the pressure. They probably look at your S2000 and wish they weren't so dull and boring with their BMW/Audi "I don't know how to be different then main stream' driver.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by Mr.Aqua' timestamp='1385575731' post='22897947
Don't cave to the pressure. They probably look at your S2000 and wish they weren't so dull and boring with their BMW/Audi "I don't know how to be different then main stream' driver.
+1. In 10 years, their cars will worth junker value while your car still have same value as today.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,918 Posts

2015 Audi S3
- Fits all the criteria
- Top of my price range (rumor is $38-40k)
- Not out yet, so details are scarce and I can't drive one.
If you're considering the S3 you might as well check out the Golf R. FTR, I'll be surprised if the S3 ends up under $40k.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTianti
Absent irrational domestic hate, I can't imagine buying a 370 or the Genesis Coupe over a 5.0 Mustang with the Recaros and the track pack or Camaro 1LE. In fact, even though I have a Boss 302, had I fit in the Camaro with my helmet on, I'd have gotten a 1LE. That car is a serious track day weapon with tremendous aftermarket support and staggering bolt on potential.
Just because I don't want to buy them doesn't mean I hate them.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 AM

I like the list you've got going and considering your preferences laid out in the OP I think you should add 2011+ Mustang GT (5.0) to that list. They can be found in my area used with very low miles in the low $20k range leaving you plenty of money left over for what ever.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have this really weird thing about buying anything that's not the "top" model of any specifc car. I realize this is stupid and all but I can't help it, I will look into newer 335i's though.

My commute right now is ~10 miles each way, when we move offices I will be less than a mile from the office, thus will be walking/biking most days. MPG isn't the biggest concern but in a perfect world I would like nicer MPG for roadtrips and the like.
With the "328i" badge removed from the trunk, it's hard to tell the difference. Just 40 rwhp and an extra exhaust outlet.
But yes, there does appear to be a few used current-gen 335i cars available for under $40k these days.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by PierreC' timestamp='1385564302' post='22897515
I would go with the M3 hands down. Awesome looking, great performer, and it will be the one car of your list that will keep its value the best and be the easiest to re-sale. I like your list, and I often ask myself the same question. The conclusion is always the same: M3. You can get one for 32-35k. If you go with another car of your list, you will always think about what your next car could be. And you will think M3. Save money, go with the M3 right now instead of waiting another 3 years.
I initially ended up on the M3 for this reason but as I get into it I have fears of long term ownership.
We only live once, keep that in mind!

Quick Reply: What would you buy for under $40k?