Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what was your worst car purchase - financially or mechanically or ______?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 565 Likes on 395 Posts

'86 951 (944 turbo), purchased with 58K miles in 2005 - thought it was a gem at $13k in the condition it was in.

Awesome while it was running - a nightmare when it wasn't, and due to my lack of mechanical know how at the time. Ended up putting around $8k in repairs into the car and another $5k in mods. Sold it for $12.5K

'09 GRB STI - stupid and young. I couldn't afford it, and after 3 track days and seeing everyone in a GR STI in SoCal (that ran track days seriously - not hardparkers, like the majority of the subie crowd) jump ship to an S2K, I had to too. I couldn't get over how expensive the car was, and what would happen if I wadded it up into a wall at the track...

S2K was half the price and needed no mods other than brakes for me to go to the track. Saved a ton of money and got 5 times as many track days in a year versus the STI.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Back in the late 80's, I had a Maserati Biturbo E. Need I say more?

Was great when it ran right, but that wasn't very often. Manual choke and throttle body carbs...

hahahaha... my dad had a 1984 biturbo.... he had just paid $$$$$ to get it fixed in Pittsburgh and we made it maybe 3 miles from the dealer and I started beeping at him as fluid was pouring out from under it.... he made it back to the dealer and sold it to them for $4k and they ripped up his repair bill check..... I think it had 20k miles on it..... what a heap of shit.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by jimboslice' timestamp='1399924392' post='23156490
[quote name='sam_spider' timestamp='1399924213' post='23156484']
2 For me.

First - 92 VW Corrado VR6 bought it used about a year old. Owned it for a year, spent about 6 months (not at one time) at the dealer getting major items replaced. First to go was the electrical system (shocker) the entire harness and all wiring had to be replaced, it was there about 2 months. Second was the transmission, the synchos ate themselves, third was one of the thermostats decided to stop working and the car shed all its water on the freeway, blew the engine. Got it back the last time and traded it in on a 93 Miata LE.
I know that feel....

Came in to post up my experience with my VR6 Corrado... Except I bought it very used about two years ago, and just sold it two months ago. Even with proof of regular maintenance, shit still broke ALL. THE. TIME.
I swore off (and at) VW's after the Corrado. I loved that damn car too.
[/quote]

Likewise. I think the only thing that made me keep the car for as long as I did, was that VR6 exhaust note.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:49 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
So far my worst purchase has also been my favorite (we'll see if it will stay that way).

Purchased this year, my first S2000. Got the car and all way fine. 400 miles later (200 mile drive home) started getting a flashing CEL. Burnt or bent valve. I loved every second of the 400 miles I drove the car. I overpaid for it a little bit because it was GPW/Tan and was the closest I had found that was still in desirable condition.

I don't know if I will ever know if the issue arose before or after purchase. I assume it happened before purchase and just didn't throw anything off until later.

Still sitting in the garage waiting on repairs, it is still also one of my favorite purchases.

White with Tan does not sound like an AP1 but the repair sounds like you bought an over revved car.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:58 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

my old boss was the king at losing his ASS on cars.

I think in this order...

new clk55 approximately $80k purchase...plus put some $4k HRE wheels on it... drove it maybe 30k miles traded for $37k - that wasn't so horrible due to 30k miles.

new Aston Martin DB9 then put a $4k exhaust on it.... drove it 3500 miles in 1 year traded it for $125k on an Audi S8....

Drove S8 for about 9-10 months... traded for a BMW 550 (I think) and got $75kish for the trade.

had 2 different Range Rovers for under a year each and lost $15-$20k each.

got an Acura RL new... sold it 4-5 months later - lost another $15k.

it was an insane 3 year run on losing $200k+.......
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Back in the late 80's, I had a Maserati Biturbo E. Need I say more?
No and I seriously doubt anyone will top that.

I finally, a few years back, threw out the ring binder full of complaint letters to Chrysler on my 1984 Dodge Rampage that started falling apart on the way home from the dealership the night we bought it. Registered letters, return receipt requested, came back refused from Chrysler HQ (thanks for nothing, Lee). Regional rep left me in the dealer while he and the service manager went on a "test drive", came back two hours later smelling of pizza and told me "no such problems (plural)". I cannot believe that, despite being a newlywed with little cash to spare, I put up with that pile of junk for 5-1/2 YEARS.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
my old boss was the king at losing his ASS on cars.

I think in this order...

new clk55 approximately $80k purchase...plus put some $4k HRE wheels on it... drove it maybe 30k miles traded for $37k - that wasn't so horrible due to 30k miles.

new Aston Martin DB9 then put a $4k exhaust on it.... drove it 3500 miles in 1 year traded it for $125k on an Audi S8....

Drove S8 for about 9-10 months... traded for a BMW 550 (I think) and got $75kish for the trade.

had 2 different Range Rovers for under a year each and lost $15-$20k each.

got an Acura RL new... sold it 4-5 months later - lost another $15k.

it was an insane 3 year run on losing $200k+.......
Wow. Is this your old boss?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
White with Tan does not sound like an AP1 but the repair sounds like you bought an over revved car.
2003 were made with white over tan as an option.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Financially, buying the S2000 with two payments remaining on my 2002 Celica GT-S was a mistake. I should have waited for the CR. Patience or lack there of has always been my weakness.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Mine had to be my 2006 Acura TSX. Couple years ago I found a pearl white on black leather 2006 6MT - super rare combo - that was in mint condition, 30k miles on it. Even came with two sets of wheels, stock and A-spec wheels from acura.

Shortly after I brought it home it started a front end shimmy down the highway. Alignment, rotate and balance didn't help anything. Found on forums that the fix was new front axles for most people, to the tune of $800+ each IIRC.

While looking on the forums for that problem, another problem surfaced... squealing throw out bearing when starting out from a stop on a hill. Searching the forums then revealed the previous owner of my car who had the car in for that problem before... at the dealer I bought it from!...

So I PM previous owner, she tells me the numerous things she had it to the dealer for. She was first owner, numerous rattles, the throw out bearing, HVAC not blowing anything out of the foot... and why did she get rid of the car you ask? Well... it was burning a quart of oil every 500 miles! Acura told her and me that that was acceptable and should be expected for the K24. Called 3 dealers in my area, they all said the same thing. Wouldn't even look at the car.

When she told me this news, I knew I had more than 500 miles on the car since I bought it. I ran out and checked the oil, sure enough, barely anything on the dipstick. Awesome. Had the car 6 months, traded on 2nd S2000.

Also, the DBW in that car was beyond awful. It was so hard to get a smooth 1-2 shift because of the lag. So so terrible. And of course, I paid $16.5 for the car and got $13.5 on trade. MMM warm bath.

Quick Reply: what was your worst car purchase - financially or mechanically or ______?