Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What's wrong with the GT-R?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Nov 9 2007, 12:26 PM
This assumes that people buy cars based solely on the performance/dollar metric. The dichotemy between the Fox-Body Mustang and the Cayman prove this assumption to be grossly incorrect.
Grossly incorrect? So a Fox-body mustang has better track balance and performance than a Cayman? Now THAT'S grossly incorrect. Terrible example.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sparrow,Nov 9 2007, 01:05 PM
whoa hoss...lasso your lips...you will be suprised how many people don't know
You missed the point entirely. If you told Infiniti buyers that Nissan makes their car are they going to instantly sell it? Of course lots of people are morons and don't fully understand that the "lower" badge makes their car, but that doesn't mean if they DID know they would not have bought it.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt,Nov 9 2007, 05:23 PM
Grossly incorrect? So a Fox-body mustang has better track balance and performance than a Cayman? Now THAT'S grossly incorrect. Terrible example.
No, my point is that using the performance for the dollar metric, you'd be a fool to buy anything but a Camaro or Mustang. For a total of $10k, I could make a fox body that would leave a Cayman faaaaaaar behind.

Unfair, you say, comparing modded versus stock? Sure. But, like I said, if all there was to it was "how can I go fastest with the least $$ spent," cars like the Cayman would not exist.

Fortunately, there is MUCH more to it than performance for the dollar.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Nov 9 2007, 01:14 PM
All of that was true of the Acura NSX when it came out (except for the 500 hp part, but it was as competitive power-wise in its day as the GT-R will be now), and look at how it sold. Or more correctly, didn't sell.
Wrong analysis.

The NSX sold fine for the first couple years. Then there was a worldwide slowdown and Honda refused to update the car. That combination killed the NSX. If Nissan completely abandons the car as the bar is raised it'll probably die too. If Honda tried to sell 91 civics in 2005 they wouldn't sell any cars either. What's to blame the civic or Honda?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Nov 9 2007, 02:36 PM
No, my point is that using the performance for the dollar metric, you'd be a fool to buy anything but a Camaro or Mustang. For a total of $10k, I could make a fox body that would leave a Cayman faaaaaaar behind.

Unfair, you say, comparing modded versus stock? Sure. But, like I said, if all there was to it was "how can I go fastest with the least $$ spent," cars like the Cayman would not exist.

I never said all that matters is performance for the dollar. I said that performance for the dollar in this particular situation overwhelms any potential weaknesses that propose the car is somehow going to be a failure or isn't as spectacular as it is.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Nov 9 2007, 02:36 PM

Also, you keep changing the variables. I'm leaving the variables fixed, modifying only the performance. Of course you can make any old car faster around a track than a new porsche, but it's not going to have the quality leather interior, relatively smooth ride, technological applications, streetability, the list goes on. I'm saying the Nissan keeps the leather, keeps the back seats, beats the others around a track (also more reliably than german counterparts), is more streetable, AND it's cheaper. If you think it looks good, that's just a bonus.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Nov 9 2007, 05:53 PM
I never said all that matters is performance for the dollar. I said that performance for the dollar in this particular situation overwhelms any potential weaknesses that propose the car is somehow going to be a failure or isn't as spectacular as it is.
Except that we've already established that a HUGE majority of prospective buyers for $50k+ sports cars are far more concerned with image/brand/prestige than performance.

Why else would they buy base 911 Carreras over ZO6s?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:03 PM

Whose we? What data supports that a "HUGE majority of prospective buyers of $50k+ sports cars are far more concerned with image/brand/prestige than performance"? I guess BMW sells more M3's than GM sells corvettes right?

People buy base 911's over Z06's for all sorts of reasons. Here's a better question, why does ANYONE buy corvettes if THE HUGE MAJORITY all buy M3's RS4's and 911's? Wait a second.. I bet GM sells more vetts than all of those cars' sales combined. For the same reason the Skyline is a great vehicle. gg.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Nov 9 2007, 06:03 PM
Whose we? What data supports that a "HUGE majority of prospective buyers of $50k+ sports cars are far more concerned with image/brand/prestige than performance"? I guess BMW sells more M3's than GM sells corvettes right?

People buy base 911's over Z06's for all sorts of reasons. Here's a better question, why does ANYONE buy corvettes if THE HUGE MAJORITY all buy M3's RS4's and 911's? Wait a second.. I bet GM sells more vetts than all of those cars' sales combined. For the same reason the Skyline is a great vehicle. gg.
Most Corvettes are automatics, and fat GTs like M3s outsell real sports cars like Elises by a HUGE margin.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:26 PM

19,063. Corvettes sold in the year 2006.
All the more expensive prestige cars combined sell about that many units per year in the U.S. So if you mean the vast majority of 50k+ sportscar buyers DO consider bang for the buck as the most important element, there would be more evidence to support your claim.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the GT-R?