Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

When's the best time to buy a new car?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When's the best time to buy a new car?

I just recently sold my daily driver, and have been looking to replace it. In talking to different people, I've been told to wait anywhere from 1-6 months. Recession is worsening, new cars sales will continue to stall, affecting both new and used cars.

What do you all think? Personally I'm looking at used CRVs, maybe a Fit, maybe a Mazdaspeed3 (although its seems they still haven't fixed the motor mount issue, and a significant # of people seem to be having turbo problems).

edited for grammar. Me no write good.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 PM

also maybe think about the end of the month/quarter...?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM

I'm also wondering how tax refunds (or lack thereof) may play a role. It's an interesting market right now; dealers trying to move stock, individuals selling personal items due to debt/lack of $.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Answer -- used is always better, and buying now is better as long as you have no personal liability concerns.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by dombey,Feb 26 2009, 10:23 PM
also maybe think about the end of the month/quarter...?
These days every day is like the end of the year/world for car dealers.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM

Answer -- used is always better, and buying now is better as long as you have no personal liability concerns.
I generally agree that used is a better deal, and no, no personal liability. I'm just wondering how long to wait (kinda like the housing market in some aspects). Now it's getting cheaper, but do I try to catch the bottom (always hard), wait for the prices to start to rise? I can use my S as my daily for now, no problems. Just trying to see if anyone has insight of timing.

I also wonder with the longer the recession, how quickly dealerships will be able to deal with their backlog in a way that will mean not as good deals for the consumer.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hindsight is always 20/20. Assuming you go used, I'd buy when you find the right car for the right price at the time. Unlike new, every used car is different in some way, and if you let one that meets all your parameters go, it may be a long time before you find another similarly suitable one.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Sorry I meant personal liquidity issues...
Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM

Also, it's not like stock pricing. I would think unless you want something really special there are massive excess inventories new and used of just about everything. Pick what you are interested in and then find the best listed price and offer $5-10k under that.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 PM

right now is a good time to try and find people that are selling used car for dirt cheap cause they just need the money. I would just search until i find one of these deals and buy it.

Quick Reply: When's the best time to buy a new car?