Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Who rides in the rain?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I won't ride to work in the rain, but don't mind if I get caught in it on the ride home. I rode home in a heavy down pour last month and found it amusing that I was easily traveling faster than the cars around me. Had to pass two that were going 20mph below the limit with their flashers on.

I've been riding on the street since 1985. I put as many miles on my VFR each year as on my S2000.

The next question is how low do you go? I typically quit for the season when the temps drop below 20 degrees F.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the high for the day is above 50 Ill ride, I start to find longer ride in below 45 to be uncomfortable.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used to ride in all kinds of conditions but rain honestly takes the fun away from riding. no cornering, accelerating or braking. been out the track a few times too, not fun either. rather not lay the bike down and have a costly mistake.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Riding home from Cultus Lake on Highway 1 in Vancouver was not fun.

Besides the cars spraying a constant stream into your helmet/bike, people can barely see you.

In the city, it's not that big of a problem but I would much rather take the car.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by dsms2k
used to ride in all kinds of conditions but rain honestly takes the fun away from riding. no cornering, accelerating or braking. been out the track a few times too, not fun either. rather not lay the bike down and have a costly mistake.
Same here

You can be an excellent rider but all it takes is 1 negligent motorist on the road to screw things up.

I rode a coworkers cbr f4i home from somewhere in Massachusetts to NYC in a downpour. I'll never forget that day :0l
Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM

Riding in the rain SUX.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by nDoubleu
Riding home from Cultus Lake on Highway 1 in Vancouver was not fun.

Besides the cars spraying a constant stream into your helmet/bike, people can barely see you.

In the city, it's not that big of a problem but I would much rather take the car.
Road from Jasper/Banff area down to Vancouver on 1, but missed Cultus Lake. Looks like a nice place. Swimmer's itch doesn't sound like much fun though.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dont enjoy riding in the rain for the wet factor n being wet at work along with a fresh rain there is oil all over the road and I have to use the highway to get to work, and there are a lot of shitty drivers in Cali and you cant make such sudden movements to be able to avoid maroons. Plus I dont see the reason to put myself at more risk to lay the bike down when it is not necessary.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Obviously I prefer to ride in a nice weather but I will ride to work and bike as much as possible.

If rains/t storm start of the day then I drive my truck to work, but I dont mind riding back in a rain, since I carry my gears in my backpack anyway.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Zoomie
My bike is purely a toy (for me), so no reason to go out in the higher risk environment. I have the car for that.
Couldn't agree more

Quick Reply: Who rides in the rain?