Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

WHOAH - almost got rid of S

Old 04-30-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHOAH - almost got rid of S

its been a rocky start with me and my S... a car i always perceived as being my "dream car". ive owned the car for 3 months (02 with 16k), but about half that time it was sitting in the body shop with missing parts. yup, it was stolen a week after i got it.

anyway, i did install lojack and all, but i just dont know if the character of the car is fitting me well. while i love the top down, honda reliability, the best engine/tranny combo i have ever driven... i dunno. it just seems a bit ostentatious for me. im more of a steel wheel, miata and crx - kinda guy. tho they just dont have the amazing engine the S has.

i dunno. i think if it wasnt stolen i might not be so down on it, but i hate that i feel like i cant drive the car down into the city (SF)...

my daily commute is 130/day or about 600 miles a week, so i was actually looking at getting an insight (i actually like the look of them, plus 60+ mpg), then later on getting an old miata on the side... but i might freak cause 0-60 is like 10 seconds.

i have long looked at the rsx-s, but i had an old integra gsr that was stolen and a total loss back in 00. so im not any better off there than the S...

its been close, ive been walking in dealerships, looking and ready to trade in the S (i owe KBB book value). then i think, WTF, am i crazy?

not sure what to do at this point, but i feel like im walking around with a loaded weapon, ready to make a move. just not sure which is the right one...

no flames please...

Old 04-30-2004, 10:31 AM

Well if you are really that worried about the S, then I cant blame you for wanting to sell it, and more power to ya if you actually like the looks of the insight. And yes, old miatas are slow, but a turbo kit from Flyin Miata will change that very quickly. After that it will be a blast to drive and will still be pretty reliable.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:18 AM

Go for the new Subaru Legacy GT...a little more stealth and looks like 250hp, 250 tq. Out in June.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:15 PM

i dunno. im thinking i should just give it more time, maybe like 6 months before i make a decision...
Old 04-30-2004, 01:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can afford it then by all means get a beater/daily driver.

The Insight idea is a great one. I'm about to purchase the new Prius because I'm having the same exact issues as you. I don't have to worry too much about the theft aspect of it but I personally can't stand having this car as a daily driver. Too demanding and not enough room for me.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:25 PM

I have an Insight as a daily driver (have had it for over 3 years). It is great getting over 70 mpg on my daily commutes (5-speed model, CVT does not do much over 55 mpg). I bought my S2k as just a toy (not having it as a daily driver makes it even more fun when I do drive it). Here are my 2 cars:

-Clayton
Old 04-30-2004, 03:34 PM

I agree.. not having to drive the S2000 everyday is the next best thing to bringing it home... after being out of it for like two weeks, getting back in feels just like first delivery.. Simply Amazing.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could also look at a Jetta diesel...great gas mileage.

I can see the S2000 getting tiresome on a daily ride like that...I used to do 67 miles each way myself on the NJ Turnpike, so I know the feeling.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:46 PM

If you're so uncertain about this decision, then don't get rid of the S2000. You KNOW you'll regret it. Get a cheapo beater. I personally don't think the S2000 is very good as a daily driver... in California traffic that is. I think a lot of people who claim they love them as daily drivers live in other parts of the US where traffic is less oppressive.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:33 PM

yeah, i think a used insight in another year or so might be the answer. the S is truly awesome, seems that much better when you are given a break from it. kinda funny how that works

Quick Reply: WHOAH - almost got rid of S