Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why the animosity towards domestics?

Old 06-23-2004, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wing
Recent topgear episode they were AMAZED the americans made a car that can go around corners, the CTS!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:05 AM

I'll probably get flamed for this, but oh well.

I agree with a lot of the historical data about domestic vs imports and various quality concerns. But I think there's a bit more to it, just as, if not more important I think is the image appeal of certain foreign brands.

Cars have long been used simply to get from point A to point B. I think a lot of people favor imports for that foreign flavor. Just something new, different, and exotic. Regardless of it being better or not. I know there's a lot of people who enjoy saying things like, "My car is a British luxury import, very sophisticated and sexy." Despite the fact that Jaguar is part of Ford. Marketing exists for a reason.

Beyond that it just becomes a matter of defending the ego. Like rooting for the home team. A lot of people will hate on other cars in an attempt to elevate there own. And just like the home team, sometimes they win and sometimes they loose. Except for cars, there's no 'one' measure of winning or loosing. If it were sales, the F150 would be the undisputed best vehicle ever, and the NSX like the worst. If it were reliability, a Civic or Corolla could easily take the title. Basically, for every measure you can think of, there's a different car to claim the winner.

I think a lot of it is just vanity and pride. My favorite deadly sin.

Oh, and please. I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. I'm just trying to cite another reason for why A would dislike B.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 430 Likes on 302 Posts

I have a slight bias against domestic for quality reasons, but the simple truth for me is that except for a C5 or C6 Corvette, the american companies don't make anything that appeals to me.

Ever since the death of the Ford Probe you could not get a decent sporty coupe with a V6 and a stick. The current Mustang is a ricketly old clunker, same with the dead Camaro/Firebird. I don't like trucks. The COuger was slow. Nothing sporty, well made, powerful with a stick. I traded my winter beater Alero that I bought new at 30,000 miles, but it would have been a much more enjoyable car with a five speed. The six had plenty of power for a grocery getter but auto are boring. I bought a Stratus coupe simply because it is an Mitsu Eclipse V6 with Dodge bodywork. I enjoy my winter driving much more now.

US vehicles are generall boring automatic four doors, minivans, pickups suvs and other gas hogs that seem to have no soul. VW makes their four doors with 5 speed, and Audi, and BMW, and Mazda, and Nissan, and Mitsubishi, and........... I don't want to just get from point a to point b, I want to enjoy the car on the way there.

Maybe a supcharged Solstice will be a nice car.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:33 AM

Received 430 Likes on 302 Posts

By the way, it is about time that Pontiac finally dropped the cheap plastic sidecladding from their cars. This should have been done 15 years ago. Made the whole car lineup look like white-trash mobiles. Then the execs come out with the Aztek. I wish I could be a GM exec and get paid huge dough to come up with lousy ideas.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:39 AM

For my friends and family, it has been quality.

Our Cadillac was simply a piece of work. Our previous Mercedes had it's few problems, but nowhere near the amount of the Cadillac. Our 1, 2, 3, 4...5 Japanese cars have been great so far (and 2 newer European cars, Saab and Mercedes)...plus 2 Japanese motorcycles.

Maybe we had a lemon, but regardless of that fact, it was enough to convince my family to never buy American again.

Heck, give me a Z06 anytime. I sure won't mind if it runs great.

I suppose another reason I do not buy American is because most domestics just do not have great interior styling.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
Well, I have good luck with all of my domestics and so have my parent's, but we both had
Old 06-23-2004, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
Old 06-23-2004, 11:10 AM

In my opinion, Domestics are sterile interior wise and boring on the outside. I have no interest in them what so ever.

Ryan
Old 06-23-2004, 11:27 AM

This is a really heated topic here in the motorcity
Old 06-23-2004, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE]This year, with the new Durango launching, I should easily bring in 6 figures.

Quick Reply: Why the animosity towards domestics?