Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why Hasn't SOA Released Price & Weight of the Sti???

Old 03-20-2003, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by WestSideBilly
If your funny money wasn't so worthless, you'd have an Evo8!
Are you talking with me? lol, I looked through the thread and I couldn't see who else it would be. Here they sell the Evo 7 RS-II and GSR I believe, no 8 yet.

29kg at the very front end eh? That sounds like a really shitty performance deal. Not only is it 29kg extra, but way past the front wheels. Must mess up weight distribution and polar movement of inertia. It's 61/39 on the Canadian WRX.. hm, wonder what it is here. 60/40 perhaps.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

He was directing that at S2kRob who is from Canada...eh... they have play money up there. $1000 Canadian is about enough to buy a pack of gum.

Originally posted by Mikko

Are you talking with me? lol, I looked through the thread and I couldn't see who else it would be.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:32 AM

Nutty Americans
Old 03-20-2003, 01:12 PM

STi USDM comes w/o radio or spkrs
Old 03-20-2003, 08:44 PM

Make no mistake friends. The STi will be a force to be reckon with. I have done the research, made a deposit (soon to be returned), sat in one at the Peterson Muesum release in LA. Currently I am No. 2 at the dealership to receive one. A few weeks ago I was undecided about the EVO or STi. By this summer I will definitely have a new car.

With that said. Today I went out to drive the S2000. Twice at two different dealerships. I decided that the S2000 is the car for me for several reasons.

1) It has class. My track days are over and I don't like it that if I have a wing on the back of my trunk, everyone will try to race me. The EVO and STi come with spoilers that scream "Lets race!" The lines of the S2000 are smooth with no waste in design. When you see one, you can't help but smile.

2) The S2000 resale value. Ever try trading in an Mitsubishi or Subaru? Trust me, the figure that the dealer will give you will make you head spin.

3) Drop top. "Cool" factor.

Don't get me wrong. The EVO and STi are killer track cars. The competition between them will only get better with time. Buy an EVO or STi today and within two years, you will have a different engine, body style, and design. Just look what happend in Japan.

Oh yeah, the subject. My dealer told me to estimate around 31,999.00
Old 03-21-2003, 05:49 AM

"2) The S2000 resale value. Ever try trading in an Mitsubishi or Subaru? Trust me, the figure that the dealer will give you will make you head spin."

Yep it's a nightmare, my 02 yellow wrx in 02 was traded in for 16500! I got the s2k for a good deal though.
I traded it in last September AWD sedan for rwd convertible right before the winter.

Imagine if I had waited until the STI came out? With the nice new face.... They'll be selling new 03's for like 20 with the bug eyes,
so a used 02 with 12k miles would retail for what? At most 17-18? Seriously if you want an STI and have a WRX, sell it and get a beater for 4 months. If you try to trade after the new face it will cost you easily 2-3 grand.
The Brits knocked 3000 pounds (more funny money) off of the bug eye'd brand new WRX's that were sitting on lots

It may seem annoying that Honda doesn't bring out new models (s2k type R's etc) every 2 years (like the AWD Sedan madness), but it does help resale value. On top of that, it's a Honda. Even if the s2k isn't any more reliable than the other two people perceptions will be "come on it's a Honda, that thing will run forever!"

Congrats on the s2k buy, honestly I thought it was worth the money over the WRX even during break in (pre VTEC). Just the focus, feel, and sweet top down driving make the car a steal. After you hit switchover, you'll never go back
At least that's how I feel about it

-Ed
P.S. what color did you get?
Old 03-21-2003, 06:10 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I know we are on a S2000 board.... I have owned 2 S2000's so I do know the value.

a 2001 S2000 with 15k miles will sell for about $23-$25k depending on where you are and how nice you kept the car. That is a fair amount of depreciation for a car that was $33k (plus tax) when new 2 years ago.

% wise, I would think that is about par for a used WRX.? I know at this point you can get either the S2000 or the WRX for way below MSRP.

The S2000 is definately more classy than an evo..... evo is bascially an economy car with some added power and awd...but it does everything pretty well..
Old 03-21-2003, 07:01 AM

I remember reading something a while ago about the s2k holding it's resale better than any other car. That may have been a couple years ago (pre Z, Evo, etc...). I don't doubt your numbers they seem very accurate to me. It's crazy how much we lose doing the trade in for a new car every year thing.

My S2k cost 31 + tax, so if it's worth 25 next year I'll be quite happy
I got the WRX at sticker, so it lost almost the same amount 6-8k(but a higher percentage because it cost less). There is a good chance I got screwed on my trade though.

Scot, with all those trade in's you keep doing you must lose a lot of money! I've done 3 own it for 1 yr and trade it deals. I've lost about 10-13k. They were cheaper cars, I can imagine how much it costs to trade in a 30k car every year.

Keep the EVO and the Stang for a while they are both sweet rides! Enjoy them for a while. Just mod the crap out of your new cars. You can keep up with anything that comes out using those two crazy rides.

P.S. Have you picked up the EVO yet? How do you like it? You should be able to hit 12's with some simple bolt ons (boost!).

-Ed
Old 03-21-2003, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by Scot
evo is bascially an economy car with some added power and awd...but it does everything pretty well..
It's nothing like an economy car except the four doors and parts of the interior. The bodyshell/chassis on the Evo 6 was already one of the stiffest in the world, and still they managed to make it a whole lot stiffer in the Evo 7. Evo 8 is even stiffer, me thinks. That kind of thing allows for super-stiff suspension and a lot of confidence/security when cornering at the limit, due to the abscence of body-flex.