Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why we follow the herd

Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Why we follow the herd

There's been some posts recently about why Americans are always looking to upgrade their cars (or material possessions in general) in order to improve their social standing. Here's an article I found interesting that includes some bits about how social pressures work in the brain.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/14/pf/zweig.m...sion=2007082313

Brain scans showed that when the subjects followed the peer group, activation in parts of their frontal cortex decreased, as if social pressure was somehow overpowering the reflective, or analytical, brain. When people did buck the consensus, brain scans found intense firing in the amygdala.

Neuroscientist Gregory Berns, who led the study, calls this flare-up a sign of "the emotional load associated with standing up for one's belief." Social isolation activates some of the same areas in the brain that are triggered by physical pain.

In short, you go along with the herd not because you want to but because it hurts not to. Being part of a large group of investors can make you feel safer when everything is going great. But once risk rears its ugly head, there's no safety in numbers.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,Feb 28 2008, 07:59 AM
There's been some posts recently about why Americans are always looking to upgrade their cars (or material possessions in general) in order to improve their social standing. Here's an article I found interesting that includes some bits about how social pressures work in the brain.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/14/pf/zweig.m...sion=2007082313
Sounds right to me. Oh wait...I'm going along with it...Oh no, I'm following the herd.

I agree with the study. It's very difficult, ironically, in our "individual" society to actually be an "individual". [pretentious alert] Kierkegaard stated that "being an individual is the most terrifying thing of all." [/pretentious alert]. And I agree to that as well.

It is very easy to go along with the flow, and it is masochistic to go against it. However I believe good things don't "feel" easy.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm reading a book about early retirement, something like we (here in the US) buy around twice as much stuff as we did in the 50s. We have a higher standard of living. That's why many families have two incomes today so we can keep up with the neighbors.

When I was a kid we had one or two TVs and maybe one VCR, one hi-fi system etc.. now we're buying iPods, computers, cell phones, CD players, Xbox, home theater systems, TVs in every room, Tivo, etc. the list goes on and on.

They say a house built today has 3x the closet space as a house built in the 50s meaning people have more stuff.

I would like to be a saver (rather than a spender) but it's hard, I am always buying stuff I don't need. But at least I am able to save a good bit also.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I lead the herd.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are sheeple...

http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Sheep-Andrew-...04215587&sr=1-1
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM

It's a survival mechanism of sorts, although we of course have the ability to break with that, as compared to other animals. I would say though that the Jones' mentality is somewhat temporary, though still cultural. But the crap people buy doesn't become attractive unless it's marketed constantly. We have commercials in our eyes and ears so often now compared to fifty years ago. Try listening to a radio program. It damn near seems like 30 minutes of any given hour is commercials. The show has to pause incessantly for commercial breaks. Only NPR lacks this.

Also, quoting Kierkegaard isn't pretentious.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

[QUOTE=rai,Feb 28 2008, 11:35 AM]I'm reading a book about early retirement, something like we (here in the US) buy around twice as much stuff as we did in the 50s.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Banned

What is that saying about stuff? You don't own your stuff...your stuff owns you.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Feb 28 2008, 01:25 PM
I don't do what everyone else does, I do research on just about everything I buy (I'm not even remotely close to being an impulse buyer), and I wait and make sure I'm getting the best deal. I hate doing things just because others are.
You must either 1) consider yourself a member of a peer group that does not value material possessions, or 2) have a defective amygdala.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 AM

I agree with the study. Humans have evolved to survive by going with the flow. The concept of "individualism" is very new and really isn't the solution to human survive in the long term. Yes it may bring satisfaction, but the human species didn't survive by having everyone to live a self-fulfilling life.

Quick Reply: Why we follow the herd