Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Worst oil Filter placement

Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst oil Filter placement

I believe that the S2000 has one of the easiest oil filters to change during an oil change. I have owned more than 20 cars and in addition to my S, have a 1996 Toyota 4runner. What the hell were the engineers thinking on this one? The oil filter is facing down at about a 70 degree angle. Pull the filter off and oil runs all down the block, off the skid plate in a million directions. To top it off, you have to pull the oil filter off through the wheelwell. So what has been the worst oil filter placement/design that you have had to change?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM

I haven't changed the oil in THAT many different cars, but I agree that the S2000 is a very simple car to change the oil in. The only thing that could make it easier is more ground clearance for the catch pan, but I'm not complaining, it is a sports car after all.

My '99 Cougar is not fun. The filter HAS to be accessed from underneath the car, and cannot be removed without soaking my arm and the front header with oil (transverse V6). Getting dirty, not so bad....smelling burning oil for weeks after the oil change, yuck.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:04 PM

Lexus GX470. You have the pull the skid plate off the front to access the filter. I tried doing the oil change myself, discovered the inconvenient process and immediately took it to the dealership.

I agree with you on the 4runner. I had a 1995 4runner sr5...never did the oil change on it because of the placement of the filter. Sucker seen jiffy lube every 3 months for an oil change. Lol
Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Honda prelude, 5th gen (BB6?) - RIGHT ABOVE THE EXHAUST - so when you pre-oil the filter, you get nice streaks of oil on the exhaust pipe.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

04 A8L Audi.
Cartridge that sits under the airbox. Lid opens up so you pull the cartridge up out of the pool of oil. Plastic air trays, tons of bolts. EGR hose removal from electric pump....
Messy complicated PITA
Old 06-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

K series powered cars. My EP3 was placed right underneath the header (remember, the K engines are reversed vs. the b engines) so after you jack it up and put it on stands, u need to crawl under the car and reach up to get access it. If you have a lift, it's not so bad, but craimini was that a pain in the ass... forget about if the car is hot.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Easiest ever is the FJ Cruiser. The oil filter is mounted in the upper front of the engine compartment facing down. You just reach over the grill, unscrew it, let it drain for a second then screw on a new one. There is also a shroud around it to avoid drips.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

^ That is pretty damn easy!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 PM

wow FJ takes the winner for the easiest...
Old 06-19-2009, 05:06 PM

I agree with the K-series statement above. My FA5 is pretty bad. the filter is located right next to the front passenger side wheel. you have to remove the plastic undertray and sort of maneuver your hand to get to the filter. Even after you remove the filter, you get oil all over the front suspension bits. It's kinda a pain. almost as if they 'want' you take your car to the dealership to have its oil changed...just to save the hassle.

My friend is a tech at a Honda dealership here, and he says a lot of the techs don't like doing oil changes on the new 06+ Si's.

Either way, I've been changing my oil now for quite some years and I find everyone has their own tricks of the trade when it comes to changing hard/difficult oil filters

Quick Reply: Worst oil Filter placement