Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would you buy used car from independent used car lots?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy used car from independent used car lots?

Would you buy from those small independent used car lots?

I have heard a lot of horror stories of lemon or basically they are trying to rip you off, enough to give me a second thought about visiting those small independent used car lots.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No
Old 10-20-2011, 01:17 PM

no bought a lemon from them for my first car never going back again
Old 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Waaaaaaay risky. My wife wanted a Toyota Matrix so we shopped around for a few weeks until we found a Vibe that fit the bill. We looked at several independent lots, knowing full well what to expect, and literally every single one of these cars had suffered major damage. These dealers were all too willing to lie to us. My wife is very new to cars in general so I would let her look the car over and decide whether it seemed good enough for her standards and then I'd show her the billion things wrong with it. Each time the sales guy (usually some Iranian dude) would then say something to the effect of, "Yeah it's been in a wreck and we did a piss poor job fixing it and then lied to you about it, but I can sell this car any day of the week for my asking price." They are probably 100% right about that.

Close to 100% of the cars that independent dealers sell are purchased from auction. Close to 100% of the cars sold at auction are cars that the franchise dealerships don't want on their lot for some reason or another. Good cars do cycle through auction as well, but they command a premium and are generally only purchased by franchise dealers. There are a select few independent dealers who buy nice cars, but they also charge franchise dealership prices.

At the end of the day, it's your own fault if you buy a car that was wrecked or has most other major issues. In every state that I am aware of a dealership is required by law to allow you to take a car to your mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. If you fail to have the car looked at you are doing yourself a disservice.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:55 PM

I would and have but I also would inspect the car first. Really, I've had large dealers try to pull fast ones on me just like small dealers. My take is you inspect carefully and try to learn about the potential trouble spots on the car you want to buy. Also, really look for evidence of shoddy repairs. A friend of mine bought a Maxima for his kid. The car turned out to be a huge lemon because all the wiring was crap. Some previous owner had messed things up presumably installing a stereo or alarm or who knows what. I rejected more than a few cars based on things like poor body work. Incidentally one of, perhaps even the worst, car I ever looked at was at a new car dealer. They wanted to sell me a used Ford Ranger (I was looking at Rangers among other small trucks). I was shown an older truck that clearly had seen better days. Upon lifting the hood I saw that the front bulkhead that holds the radiator was basically torn free at the welds from a previous wreck. Effectively the truck's frontal impact safety was severely compromised due to a previous wreck. I didn't say much other than I wasn't interested in that truck.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 PM

Crap, I knew it ...

And please stop me before I head to Carmax as well.

I suppose Carmax is basically a very organized used car lot that buy cars from auction?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I think carmax has higher standards and since they are national they buy nicer cars. It really depends on the car. No matter who you buy a car from you have to do your research and really look it over. Also go with your gut. If something doesn't seem or feel right walk away. There is always another car out there. Looking at carmax's inventory online it seems like their prices are really high even higher than other brand dealers so I decided not to bother but if they have something you are interested in go look. Just walk away when you decide its not for you. Just say no and walk to your car and leave don't let them introduce you to anyone or whatever.

Personally I reather deal with a private party sale over any dealership out there. Dealers are just so scummy and yes I know there are a few decent ones but for the most part they are all rude pushy aholes that are only looking out for themselves.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 PM

yeah, carmax's price is quite high. that kept me away from actually going to their location to check out the price. but their inventory does show up when I am doing search

i don't know if they would take offer of not, i think they advertise that their price are no huggle
Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Carmax will not negotiate on price. However, they don't sell crumby cars either. They legitimately do rule out the bad apples.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 3 or 4 ways to buy a car, an independent used car lot is the worst way. ebay private seller is way better and you can sometimes get a pretty good deal. that is how i got the viper. it wasn't the lowest price, but it was a nice specimen and painless.

Quick Reply: Would you buy used car from independent used car lots?