Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Wow... more Craigslist fun

Old 12-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that it matters, but I know a guy who is a diesel tech at a Ford dealership. Really rough around the edges. He chain smokes, he's covered in filth all the time and cant spell a word to save his life. Know what? That dude brings home a six figure pay every year. He's got 2 kids, his wife doesn't work and he lives in a $400.000 home. Just sayin'.....
Old 12-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by villain2000,Dec 28 2010, 04:50 PM
Not that it matters, but I know a guy who is a diesel tech at a Ford dealership. Really rough around the edges. He chain smokes, he's covered in filth all the time and cant spell a word to save his life. Know what? That dude brings home a six figure pay every year. He's got 2 kids, his wife doesn't work and he lives in a $400.000 home. Just sayin'.....
But this diesel tech isn't the one who approves advertising content for the Ford dealership, right?

We're not talking about competence here, we're talking about smart marketing.

1. He has the ability to get on the Internet if he posted on Craigslist.
2. His time is not worth very much if he's charging $10 per car.
3. Logic would follow that it would be a good investment of his time to Copy / Paste into a spellchecker (or just use the free checker on the Google toolbar).
Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlX Boi,Dec 28 2010, 07:40 PM
Really? Coming from Yale Law School, I would think you'd expect a modicum of professionalism while conducting any business, whether it be the advertising or service aspect. When someone offers something that sounds sketchy, it normally is.
He's just a guy doing this in his spare time. There's nothing really professional about it to begin with.

Do I care that Chinese restaurants have a bunch of spelling and grammar mistakes? Nope. Funny, yes. Affects my decision, no.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Dec 28 2010, 04:19 PM
Agree with this.

Plus, who cares how he spells? He isn't writing me an essay. He's polishing headlights. Do you care if your plumber knows the capital of the neighboring states?
I agree. If you want professionalism then your not picking a ten dollar job found on Craiglist.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Dec 28 2010, 08:35 PM
But this diesel tech isn't the one who approves advertising content for the Ford dealership, right?

We're not talking about competence here, we're talking about smart marketing.

1. He has the ability to get on the Internet if he posted on Craigslist.
2. His time is not worth very much if he's charging $10 per car.
3. Logic would follow that it would be a good investment of his time to Copy / Paste into a spellchecker (or just use the free checker on the Google toolbar).
Oh no doubt. Totally agree with you there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone seems to be so quick to pile on and make fun of someone like this, when in reality, they could be earning a better living than some attorneys or doctors.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlX Boi,Dec 28 2010, 04:40 PM
Really? Coming from Yale Law School, I would think you'd expect a modicum of professionalism while conducting any business, whether it be the advertising or service aspect. When someone offers something that sounds sketchy, it normally is.
Jesus Christ! A lot of pretentious people on here. The guy is asking to polish headlights and for 10 freaking bucks. It's not sketchy to me. He's asking if someone needs him to polish the headlights, then to pay him 10 bucks for his labor. If someone doesn't need their headlights polished, then move on.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I've seen far worse on craigslist.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k,Dec 28 2010, 07:40 PM
I agree. If you want professionalism then your not picking a ten dollar job found on Craiglist.
Case in point.

Well done.

From a detailing point of view, it's pretty hard to charge more than that. Polishing headlights takes virtually no time at all and he's probably using a $20 Meguiars kit (with wool pad for a drill) that would let him do 50+ cars.

Considering a lot of people would freak if they saw how little it took and he tried to charge more than that...
Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Dec 28 2010, 05:40 PM
He's just a guy doing this in his spare time. There's nothing really professional about it to begin with.

Do I care that Chinese restaurants have a bunch of spelling and grammar mistakes? Nope. Funny, yes. Affects my decision, no.
Of course you wouldn't care. The restaurant's reputation, ambiance, taste, customer service, menu selection, etc. are the catch points for the sale. All the craigslist man has to catch customers with is the advertisement. It's made one potential customer think otherwise about using him. I'm sure there are more that's been turned off by it solely due to the ad.

[QUOTE=Steponme,Dec 28 2010, 06:51 PM] Jesus Christ!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Where is Magician?

Quick Reply: Wow... more Craigslist fun