Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are you a Corvette guy or a 911 guy?

Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, it amazes me (reading internet message boards) how much baggage people attach to the purchase of a car. A car is just a car. I say, get the best drive you can comfortably afford, regardless of brand, prestige, blah, blah, blah. Could I afford a Carrera S? Actually, in less than a month, I'd be able to write a check for one. But, the Mrs. and I have decided to pay off law school loans instead. Just a better decision for us. Plus, there is a lot more to life than cars (which I have always loved dearly), which is why I'd have to make a ton of $ to justify the purchase of a 911 Carerra S. It's more important to me to have $ for savings, a nice house (with nice furniture), travel, maybe the occasional watch, liesure, etc. Balance.

"A Corvette is just GM junk with a big engine." Puh-leez. This is what I mean. Baggage. No real enthusiast, IMO, would make such a statement. A real enthusiast could appreciate the good qualities of all different makes and models. And, there is no real debate that the C6 has more than its fair share of good qualities. Alas, real enthusiasts may be in short supply.

Also, regarding the C6 Z06. It's surely a sweet car. But, at a projected $70K (yes, I know no one knows for sure), it would be hard to justify its purchase over a Z51 C6. Am I really going to notice the x-tra 100 hp on the street (track is obviously a different story, but I don't race at the moment)? I hope not. Probably wouldn't be too safe if I did...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by steve c,Apr 26 2005, 02:06 PM
No you have not. General rule of thumb, people who own Porsches can spell and construct complete sentences.
Are you serious? You know this is America, right? You know the American literacy is nothing to sing about, right? You know that it's not that hard to make money in America, right? If one puts his mind to it, one can make lots of money but it doesn't mean his literacy also improves along. In this day and age, owning a Porsche doesn't mean one has to be a doctor that can compose like a professor. Case in point, I know plenty of people who are supposed to be poor on paper (legally) but are actually very rich underneath it all.

Maybe he has or maybe he hasn't (owned Porsches), but it can't be based on that argument. I personally have a friend who barely has a h.s. diploma but he now has millions of dollars.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned

well, I like the 911, in all the iterations. I have never driven one, but have sat in a few just to get a feeling for the car. They are definitely nice when the inside is done up in leather. But you could afford to finish the interior of a Corvette in leather with money left over if that was a priority for you.

I'd prefer a Corvette over a 911 most days. I'd really like an old air-cooled 911 turbo someday, but have no real burning desire for a new 911, as much as I like them. If I was buying a performance car like a C6 or 997, I'd probably take the C6 merely on performance grounds. The inside of the car is as good as the outside for both, IMHO. Only a fool would suggest the Corvette is a POS compared to a 911. It is faster, in every performance scenario that matters, and has room to grow. The 997 is a very nice car that is also very capable, but is not the monster the C6 is.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:56 PM

911 no doubt
Old 04-26-2005, 02:58 PM

turn it into a poll...911
Old 04-26-2005, 03:05 PM

if they were given to me i would choose:

c6 > 911c
c6 < 911cs
*z06 > 911cs
*z06 ? 911tt

* c6 z06

I'm ashamed to say that the biggest reason why i would pick the Porsche in some of the above comparisons is because it is a Porsche
Without that it would prolly be Corvette all the way down.

some people rag on the corvette's interior (especially the c5), but I cannot stand Porsche's interior (particularly the center console (radio area)). It reminds me of a 70 year olds car every time i look at it. Maybe i'm the only one, but it is just digusting!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:08 PM

911 always!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:46 PM

Corvette, there is no way to really take price out of that equation because if I'm willing to do that, I still wouldn't want a Porsche...I'd want a prancing horse on my car.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:51 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by babyslapmafro,Apr 26 2005, 02:58 PM
turn it into a poll...911
Sorry, I thought everyone hated my polls.

OTOH sometimes it seems like we get more discussion when it's not a poll.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:54 PM

VETTE

Quick Reply: Are you a Corvette guy or a 911 guy?