Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Z06/Viper loose their luster when not driven fast?

Old 11-07-2005, 04:36 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Z06/Viper loose their luster when not driven fast?

I'm always thinking..should I keep the S2000,put some money in mods to spice it up a bit. or should I get something better/nicer/faster?

Sure we all love the Z06, but I can't even get near the limits of the S2000 on the street. C&D did a test of Z06 v Viper and a separate test of Miata v Solstice, and they said in some ways the "big dogs" were not as much fun. On the street you can't get near the edge of a Viper/Z06 with 13" meat hooks. Z06/Viper take up about 8" more road (width) so it's easier to run out of room.

To quote C&D: [QUOTE]we end up driving the big dogs far below their potential..full speed posed too great a risk...At the track the brutes provide a greater level of fun and challenges...cornering and straight-line speed are faster.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy an echo and call it a day.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:48 PM
rai

My point is, when thinking about getting a car that's better/faster/nicer than the S2000. I'd be looking at cars like:

Elise
Boxster/Boxster S
Cayman S
Z06

+/- a few other cars.

I like fast cars like the Z06, but power/speed is not my reason for being. I like fun-to-drive back road cars. Don't care so much about ETs or lap times. Time isn't important (to me), fun-to-drive is what I'm after.

I'd bet the Elise is one of the funnest cars, but as my other post, it's probably the worst DD from the list. (Maybe DD and fun-to-drive work against each other?).

For now, I think I'm going to work on my S2000, maybe get some gears etc.. to pep it up a little.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You are at a stage in your life much like where I was many years ago. At that point in my life, I was sampling all kinds of cars. No one car is the "end all, be all". If you can afford it, try them all out. If you see a Z06 or a Viper or a Lambo as something you'd like to own, even for a little while, then do it. It shouldn't have to boil down to "should I keep this and do this to it" or "should I get one of those" kinds of debates. Until you've a point in your life (like I sort of have), you should try to grab the brass ring whenever you can. Life's too short to have to pick and choose. You haven't reached your "last" car lust yet. Do what you can to sample life's little automotive joys.
The S2000 is not exactly the pinnacle of cars to own. There are lots of other really great cars out there. Unless you are ready to "settle down", don't confine yourself if you've got urges elsewhere.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Application of right foot = ass crunched into the seat.

Never gets old to me. Handling is a bonus.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve c,Nov 7 2005, 09:36 PM
Application of right foot = ass crunched into the seat.

Never gets old to me. Handling is a bonus.
I never took you as so one dimensional.

You must be kidding us again.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doh. Busted so early on. I'm slipping.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOdge viper all the way if you can afford it. I dont know how that car could be boring, speedo goes to 220 and its got a v10. I wont go into the specs but its not really a car you can be bored with. I like the viper over the z06 but they are both really nasty cars.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
rai

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 7 2005, 06:33 PM
You are at a stage in your life much like where I was many years ago. At that point in my life, I was sampling all kinds of cars. No one car is the "end all, be all". If you can afford it, try them all out. If you see a Z06 or a Viper or a Lambo as something you'd like to own, even for a little while, then do it.
I see your point. However it's not as simple as that. being able to afford xyz doesn't necessarly mean I should buy it.

do I like a Z06? (yes) do I want to allocate $1K/mo for it at this time? (not sure).

do I think the S2000 is the best car around? (no), but it does have appeal, drop top, great shifter, fun-to-drive, reliable, 'it's paid for' etc..

I was just pointing out (what I got from C&D) that it doesn't take 500+ hp to have fun. Some reviews say that a simple car (like a S2000) can be more rewarding to drive than some 6-figure cars super-cars.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Nov 7 2005, 10:56 PM
do I like a Z06? (yes) do I want to allocate $1K/mo for it at this time? (not sure).
then the point of this thread was what?

Quick Reply: Z06/Viper loose their luster when not driven fast?