Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

1st Gen MS3 or Mk7 GTI?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:47 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The GTI looks great. I do really like the Mk7.5 facelift.

Originally Posted by vader1
As for the manual in the GTI or the R, IMHO, the DSG is better suited to the car, and I am pretty much a manual or nothing guy. The reason I say this is that the manual is geared SUPER tall. I think they do 73 MPH in second gear. The redline is also pretty low on the engine, but the power comes on at the top of the rev range. Unless you are always driving it like you stole it, in first and second gear, you wait out the turbo lag, get a rush of power, immediately hit the limiter and shift. All the joy of working the gear box is taken away from the tall gearing and low redline. With shorter gearing it would not look as good on paper, but would be a lot more fun to work in traffic. The DSG just keeps the car in the powerband and shifts instantly. The manual shifts fine, and the feel is OK, but is pretty joyless the way it is set up.
Spot-on. It is geared really tall, which does make it hard to keep the boost up. You really do have to wring it out to maximize power, but there's an awful lot of power on tap. This engine is definitely underrated.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTflyer0116
I own both a 2018 GTI S with the DSG and a 2002 Honda S2000. The GTI has been a perfectly daily. I went with the DSG just because my wife and I plan to use the GTI for long trips and I already get the fun factor of the manual out of the S2000. The GTI excels in everyday practicality and space, useable loads of torque on the commute, and the quiet and comfortable nature of the cabin. If you are looking for pure fun factor, then the MS3 might be your better option. If you want a warranty and a fun do-it-all car, get the GTI. I highly recommend the GTI as a daily.
Agreed. That's why I went with the DSG for the GTI. It'll be a good balance to have the DSG for the daily and the MT in the S. Now I just need to finish putting the mods on the S and getting it tuned so I can drive it again.

Originally Posted by vader1
Nice choice. I was thinking about exactly the same car for a new daily. I have driven the manual R and it was not worth the extra coin over the GTI with a manual. Still need to try the DSG R before I decide.

As for the manual in the GTI or the R, IMHO, the DSG is better suited to the car, and I am pretty much a manual or nothing guy. The reason I say this is that the manual is geared SUPER tall. I think they do 73 MPH in second gear. The redline is also pretty low on the engine, but the power comes on at the top of the rev range. Unless you are always driving it like you stole it, in first and second gear, you wait out the turbo lag, get a rush of power, immediately hit the limiter and shift. All the joy of working the gear box is taken away from the tall gearing and low redline. With shorter gearing it would not look as good on paper, but would be a lot more fun to work in traffic. The DSG just keeps the car in the powerband and shifts instantly. The manual shifts fine, and the feel is OK, but is pretty joyless the way it is set up.
I'm a manual or nothing guy too. I want my drives to be engaging and involved. There was just something about the DSG that felt right for the car itself and the purpose for which I would be using the car. If I didn't have the S as the fun car, I may have decided differently.

Originally Posted by CMK
The GTI looks great. I do really like the Mk7.5 facelift.

Spot-on. It is geared really tall, which does make it hard to keep the boost up. You really do have to wring it out to maximize power, but there's an awful lot of power on tap. This engine is definitely underrated.
You know, the car does feel a little faster than it says on paper. I did find this, not sure if it's an accurate test. https://jalopnik.com/2015-gti-might-...han-1683694189
Old 05-24-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats on the Pure White SE with plaid interior, sweet combo! My previous daily was a 2006 Mazda3 hatch as well, still think it's the best looking generation.