Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

2020 NSX Type R

 
Old 06-19-2019, 11:59 AM
  #71  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,114
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by S2020 View Post
and yet NSX 1.0 had no problem selling when it first came out. People couldn't buy one. Those who purchased paid over sticker.
they only stopped selling well after not really changing after 15 years, after the competition had moved on.
and Ford GT sold at $500k...
rob-2 is offline  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM
  #72  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,298
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by S2020 View Post
NSX has a Superbowl spot... With J Seinfeld.
Ferrari has no Advertising.
Ditto McLaren
Ditto Lambo.
Yet they don't have any problem selling.
Methink it's not the advertising.
Those all have established supercar buyers already, plus a lot of history in specialty high-end cars. Just because they didn't advertise at the SuperBowl doesn't mean they don't advertise.

Honda effectively doubled the price of the NSX, which means they were in a different ballpark for prospective buyers. They had to go out and get those buyers from the other marques and they didn't do a very good job on the advertising side of things.

Any Porsche?
Last time I went to check out the GT3, there was not test driving. NSX compares with GT3.
try to get a test drive with a Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren. Same thing. Not easy.
Go to a Porsche dealership and if you're a serious buyer, they'll have the car you want and you can drive it. If not a new one then a used one, at least. They don't give joyrides, of course...

Go to an Acura dealership and want to buy an NSX and chances are, they won't have the car you want. See the difference? There is ONE NSX for sale where I live, in a place with 2 million people. There are multiple GT3s (new and used) available in the same area.
JonBoy is offline  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:44 PM
  #73  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,298
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by S2020 View Post
and yet NSX 1.0 had no problem selling when it first came out. People couldn't buy one. Those who purchased paid over sticker.
they only stopped selling well after not really changing after 15 years, after the competition had moved on.
Unfortunately, the data doesn't agree with you (for North America).

My dad bought two of them (1990 and 1994) and they were not particularly hard to find or buy (in terms of price or availability).

1990 1119
1991 1940
1992 1154
1993 652
1994 533
1995 884
1996 460
1997 415
1998 303
1999 238
2000 221
2001 182
2002 233
2003 221
2004 178
2005 206
2006 58
2007 2
2016 269
2017 581
2018 170

Within 3 years they were down to half the original sales numbers and, aside from the quick update in 1995 to add the NSX-T (with a commensurate spike in sales), the car dropped to roughly 300/year by 1998. The 1998 update to the 3.2L engine didn't really help at all.

Porsche, on the other hand, sold 7547 911s in 1998 (roughly 25x the sales of the NSX that year), while making 296 hp (compared to 290 hp for the NSX w/ 3.2L engine). So, basically "equal" cars...but Porsche sold 25x as many.
JonBoy is offline  
Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 AM
  #74  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Doh!!
Posts: 112,641
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Unfortunately, the data doesn't agree with you (for North America).

My dad bought two of them (1990 and 1994) and they were not particularly hard to find or buy (in terms of price or availability).

1990 1119
1991 1940
1992 1154
1993 652
1994 533
1995 884
1996 460
1997 415
1998 303
1999 238
2000 221
2001 182
2002 233
2003 221
2004 178
2005 206
2006 58
2007 2
2016 269
2017 581
2018 170

Within 3 years they were down to half the original sales numbers and, aside from the quick update in 1995 to add the NSX-T (with a commensurate spike in sales), the car dropped to roughly 300/year by 1998. The 1998 update to the 3.2L engine didn't really help at all.

Porsche, on the other hand, sold 7547 911s in 1998 (roughly 25x the sales of the NSX that year), while making 296 hp (compared to 290 hp for the NSX w/ 3.2L engine). So, basically "equal" cars...but Porsche sold 25x as many.
Hmm.. I guess I was wrong.
I guess both gen NSX was not loved by buyers.
S2020 is offline  
Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 AM
  #75  
 
Hakkaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 634
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by S2020 View Post
Hmm.. I guess I was wrong.
I guess both gen NSX was not loved by buyers.
It doesn't help when a 1994 NSX costs 21% more than a 1991 NSX. $62K vs $75K for essentially the same car
Hakkaboy is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 07:46 AM
  #76  
 
TommyDeVito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,164
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
I think you're very confused. The new NSX is quite practical, easy to drive daily, has great visibility, etc. That's why most people are buying them - all the positives of a supercar (power, looks, speed, etc) without many of the negatives (reliability issues, overheating, etc). Add in what should be typical Honda reliability and it makes even more sense as a practical supercar.

My question is, you said they didn't make it practical but you gave no basis for that conclusion. What makes you think NSX V2 isn't practical?

Have you driven the NSX? In my mind, if Chris Harris likes it and raves about its handling, that's good enough for me.
Is anyone really going to DD a 200k NSX? Anything in this price range, I highly doubt 90+% are going to use them as a daily driver.
TommyDeVito is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 AM
  #77  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,298
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Lots of guys daily a 911 Turbo (or a 911, in general). The NSX is no different than a nicely optioned 911, in terms of price.

It's not overly loud, it's relatively comfortable, it has good sight-lines, DCT means no clutch fatigue in traffic, etc.
JonBoy is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Curated Content Editor
Car Talk
2
05-21-2019 06:08 PM
Curated Content Editor
Car Talk
0
05-20-2019 05:17 PM
Zanardi50
Car Talk
189
11-26-2005 05:08 AM
sutats
Car Talk
4
11-13-2005 12:49 PM
Blackdragon69
UK & Ireland S2000 Community
12
03-19-2003 11:11 AM


Quick Reply: 2020 NSX Type R


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands