Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another What Car to Buy Thread. For my Wife. Update Bought the Abarth

Old 11-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Another What Car to Buy Thread. For my Wife. Update Bought the Abarth

Ok so little history. My wife has had her 2007 fit since 07. She bought is with ~6k miles on it and it has been a trooper. Zero major issues. Cheap as hell to maintain and run. It now has 106k miles on it and it looks a little beaten and worn. Faded paint dings nicks etc common stuff for a nearly 10 year old car. We will likely be keeping it and it will be my daily driver and replace my 93 civic that is beat to hell. So the overall goal would be a replacement for the fit. Here are the rules

Automatic (I know I know I have tried to convince her but she drives a lot for work and has bad knees so a clutch in traffic won't work something with the little paddle shifters would be good though)
Decent on gas. Not talking crazy but 25-35MPG would be a good target.
Fun and not just a lateral move looking for a bit of an upgrade
Preference is Sub $30k but a little over for the right car is doable. Hard stop at $35k.

So far here are the cars I have considered.

2015-2016 Mini Cooper S 2 Door Hardtop
Price ~$30k-32k
She has always wanted a mini so I think all things equal this would be her first choice.
I have always liked them as well but they seem to have a number of questions around reliability that are concerning.
They do seem to hold their value well.

2015-2016 Fiat Abarth
Price ~$20k
Price is the main driver for this being on the list. 0% financing for 72 months and $20k makes it really tempting.
Concerned about quality, Resale, and reliability.
Sounds great and looks fun should be fun to drive.

2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Price ~$30k-32k
Cannot believe I am considering this one but could be a cool car. Better MPG than the V6 and more power and torque. Could be fun to see where the aftermarket can take it as well.

I have thought about and looked at any number of other cars like the WRX, Focus, etc and they either seem like not the right fit or to much of the same as her Fit to make sense buying. Anyways if you guys can chime in on any of the the above or have ideas of your own shout them out. Probably looking more march time frame to do this.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

We picked up an Abarth cabrio last summer for a toy, we also considered the Cooper S. We found the Fiat has more room inside, and you can actually fit 2 people in the backseat of the Fiat quite well.

The Abarth is a blast, arguably more fun (to me) to drive than the Cooper S. I can't comment about long term reliability, we've got about 6k on our Abarth, but it has been fine thus far.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Site Moderator

Hm good to know. Is yours an auto or a manual? They are fun looking and sounding little cars and the price is stupid (they seem to be giving them away). I just looked at the 2 fords and they only come in manual as does the WRX. Kinda surprised. Everyone says manuals are dyeing but there seems to be quite a few good cars that are only available with them.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a new Fit?
Old 11-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Site Moderator

Lol talk about the most lateral move. Did you even read the first post? Plus neither of us like how the new Fit looks. The current one we have was the best body style IMO. Further the engine that is still being used in the Fit is my biggest gripe in what would otherwise be a perfect little car. It is so damn slow. If Honda ever wakes up and puts a better engine in the Fit we would likely buy another one. Even just the base model Civic engine would be perfect. Something around 140-150 Hp. It would get better MPG and be more fun to drive. Not a rocket but definitely not the slug it is.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Lol talk about the most lateral move. Did you even read the first post? Plus neither of us like how the new Fit looks. The current one we have was the best body style IMO. Further the engine that is still being used in the Fit is my biggest gripe in what would otherwise be a perfect little car. It is so damn slow. If Honda ever wakes up and puts a better engine in the Fit we would likely buy another one. Even just the base model Civic engine would be perfect. Something around 140-150 Hp. It would get better MPG and be more fun to drive. Not a rocket but definitely not the slug it is.
If I hadn't read the first post, then how would I know to ask about a Fit (a rhetorical question gets a rhetorical reply).

Nowhere in your first post did you state why a Fit isn't an option, so I asked. I was curious (since you praised the '07), that's all.

With each generation, the Fit has improved. Yes, it's a lateral move in the sense of what the badge says, but it's a very different car otherwise (horsepower aside).

The cars on your list are a vertical move in terms of branding, and acceleration. That said, they are arguably a downgrade in terms of reliability and practicality.

No need to be snippy about it.......
Old 11-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Site Moderator

Sorry I guess I should have been more clear as to why the same model of car as the one we are replacing wasn't being considered. Not snippy just funny to have the exact same model be suggested. Further you provided no reasons as to why it would or should be in option. Thats for the help anyway I guess.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

You may want to consider the 2016 Chevy Volt. You can get the base with heated seats for like $34k, but you'll get $7.5k back in tax credits. The first 50 miles a day are basically free, then 75 mpg or something. It doesn't hurt that it has utility and looks pretty good, almost like a good looking Acura.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

If you can do small, lexus IS350.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Automobile magazine kept a 2014 mini cooper for 1 year. It had the base 3 cyl. turbo. They complained about the harsh ride, questionable build quality, but liked the styling. i'd knock it off the list based on the dodgy build quality.

consider a used A3 Audi.
consider a VW golf (with diesel...they're cheap now...)

I love the abarth, but again, i question the build quality.

I have driven the original volt and really like it- but it does have not pleasant resale- it that's an issue for you.

I like your thinking with the mustang!
what about the new camaro- nice redesign.

new civic?
mazda 3?

good luck with your search.

darcy

Quick Reply: Another What Car to Buy Thread. For my Wife. Update Bought the Abarth