Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Audi S5

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S5

One night I was checking out the local Audi dealer and I see this new S5 that recently came out.

I was checking out the car and all of a sudden the lights turn on, and doors unlock!
I was like WTF?? mind you, it was 10PM and it was dark outside.
I was slowly trying to get back to my S not knowing what's going on.
And right then, a guy that looked like the manager of the dealer walked out saying "She's a beauty, isn't it?"
me: "Yes, sir. It sure is. Is this your car?"
him: "well.. it's one of ours, and I'm gonna be driving it tonight!"

He turns on the engine(nice V8 sound ) and then tunes to whatever XM music channel he likes and then takes off as I watch his tail lights.

Man, that car looked so hot.
I felt a little humiliated knowing that I won't be able to afford that car within the next few years, and a guy in a suit drives one like nothing.
Well.. I guess money is everything.

One day, baby... one day.

Dan
Old 11-06-2007, 11:39 AM

What was the sticker price on the car?? There's one that i see around town all the time, black s5, looks nice stock.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM

There was no sticker on it.
The website says the starting price is $50,500 but after all the necessary packages, I think it'll be close to $60k.

Dan
Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven one a handful of times. Very nice car. The power is great, but in typical audi fashion, the steering feels a bit loose to me. However, the rest of the car is great. Fantastic build quality and great looks. I love those LED running lamps under the headlights. Audi is definitely on a roll as far as styling goes.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM

I put about 50 miles on one. I drove a 335 coupe, and although it is a bit cheaper than the Audi S5, my personal and subjective opinion is that the S5 is better.

I have been a fan of VAG products for some time so I am not the most objective of sources. For me a big factor in a car is the tactility of the interior and the overall character of the interior. I happen to think that VAG products in general, and Audis in particular, are the benchmarks against which all other cars are judged. The only car manufacturer that has made an interior that approaches Audi levels is Lexus in the IS series and the newer LS. And they are not quite there. Interior design is important to me because the interior is the interface with the car.

As far as the drive goes, I think that the S5 may feel a bit isolated to a really good driver, as if there are multiple layers of technology between the car and road, and the all wheel drive still cannot duplicate the feel of rear wheel drive. But for the vast majority of drivers, the S5 probably has a reassuring feel towards the limit. The overall level of grip is fantastic.

I also think that the car is visually stunning, almost Italian like--much better than the any Merc coupe and as nice, if not nicer, than the BMW 335 coupe. It may be a bit heavy looking from some angles, but the overall design is very cohesive even if it departs from the classic Bauhaus look of earlier Audis. The only coupe designs that I might rank better looking are the Alfa Romeo Brera and the new Maserati Gran Tourismo, neither of which we will see here for a while.

It is no surprise that the chief design for Audi, Walter de Silva, is on record as saying that he wants to introduce a more emotive feel to Audi design.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by triman54,Nov 6 2007, 06:08 PM
I put about 50 miles on one. I drove a 335 coupe, and although it is a bit cheaper than the Audi S5, my personal and subjective opinion is that the S5 is better.

I have been a fan of VAG products for some time so I am not the most objective of sources. For me a big factor in a car is the tactility of the interior and the overall character of the interior. I happen to think that VAG products in general, and Audis in particular, are the benchmarks against which all other cars are judged. The only car manufacturer this has made an interior that approaches Audi levels is Lexus in the IS series and the newer LS. And they are not quite there. Interior design is important to me because the interior is the interface with the car.

As far as the drive goes, I think that the S5 may feel a bit isolated to a really good driver, as if there are multiple layers of technology between the car and road, and the all wheel drive still cannot duplicate the feel of rear wheel drive. But for the vast majority of drivers, the S5 probably has a reassuring feel towards the limit. The overall level of grip is fantastic.

I also think that the car is visually stunning, almost Italian like--much better than the any Merc coupe and as nice, if not nicer, than the BMW 335 coupe. It may be a bit heavy looking from some angles, but the overall design is very cohesive even if it departs from the classic Bauhaus look of earlier Audis. The only coupe designs that I might rank better looking are the Alfa Romeo Brera and the new Maserati Gran Tourismo, neither of which we will see here for a while.

It is no surprise that the chief design for Audi, Walter de Silva, is on record as saying that he wants to introduce a more emotive feel to Audi design.
Very well put!
Thanks for the wonderful review.
I can almost visualize how the car handles just by reading your post.
Thanks again.

Dan
Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 AM

it is excellent car for 90% of the population. it looks great, awesome interior and awd driveability that suits most of the non-sports car crowd. the front end LED gave me a bit of the R8 feel and is currently very unique on the streets.
at $60k loaded, you are rapidly approaching M3 territory, 10k more and u r looking almost at a GTR. but i'm sure if you wait a while for prices to fall, at $50k w/ some essential options, it is a great buy. if price wasn't an issue, then a true ethusiast might just wait for a RS5.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:32 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Nov 7 2007, 06:18 AM
Very well put!
Thanks for the wonderful review.
I can almost visualize how the car handles just by reading your post.
Thanks again.

Dan
Hey, Dan

No problem...writing about cars and politics is the only time I ever get to wax poetic...unless you should read my comparison and contrast between my Litespeed Blade and my Calfee Tetra Pro, or my critique of the Shimano 9 speed and 10 speed drive trains.

Jay
Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Nov 7 2007, 07:32 AM
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
What are you waiting for? Go to a hospital and perform brain surgeries then!