Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buying a used Telsa; considerations?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I wonder if the financial realities will come to bear.
For that to happen, it will have to be a long while in my opinion. There are so many true believers out there that they can raise almost unlimited cash anytime they want. My brother owns some of their overpriced stock and is just drooling everyday over getting his model 3. He just got an email saying he MIGHT get his car this year, even though he thought he would be getting it this spring. None of the bad news deters him, and he only reads the good news, which seems to come from only other total sycophants.

Don't get me wrong. I really want to see Tesla succeed, I like the way the disrupted the market and brought something new to the market. The cars also seem to be fun to drive from the reviews out there.

My brother is a smart guy and he makes a decent living, but he is also the sole breadwinner in his household and going to be sending his daughter to college. He has never spent over $25k on a car in his life, and my advice to him (which I really wont give him straight up) is don't do it. He is really stretching to afford this thing at about $50k for what he wants out of an almost religious-fanatic like zeal. I'd like to tell him that I stretch a little for my Cayman, and I love the car, but sometimes you'd just rather have the extra cash to enjoy life rather than have a big payment for five years (or more). But the way he just is obsessed with the prospect of TESLA! it would be like insulting allah at the center Mecca.

He is not unique. They have so many devotees that it just strike me as impossible they will lose the ability to raise money in the near term. If they issue more stock, my brother and thousands of others will gobble it up. I think they will be able to weather the storm of initial Model 3 delays. I think their future, at least their long term future is how well they work out quality issues, and continue to compete when every maker has nice electric models by the dozen.

As far as my interest goes, I really wish that if they are going to plan 15 new models before they get their sh*t together, they could throw me a bone with a little sports car with a 200 mile range and 4 second 60 for around $40k. I mean if you are going to just throw out vaporware every other day why not tease a mass market sports car instead of a $250k one?

Last edited by vader1; 02-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
For that to happen, it will have to be a long while in my opinion. There are so many true believers out there that they can raise almost unlimited cash anytime they want. My brother owns some of their overpriced stock and is just drooling everyday over getting his model 3. He just got an email saying he MIGHT get his car this year, even though he thought he would be getting it this spring. None of the bad news deters him, and he only reads the good news, which seems to come from only other total sycophants.

Don't get me wrong. I really want to see Tesla succeed, I like the way the disrupted the market and brought something new to the market. The cars also seem to be fun to drive from the reviews out there.

My brother is a smart guy and he makes a decent living, but he is also the sole breadwinner in his household and going to be sending his daughter to college. He has never spent over $25k on a car in his life, and my advice to him (which I really wont give him straight up) is don't do it. He is really stretching to afford this thing at about $50k for what he wants out of an almost religious-fanatic like zeal. I'd like to tell him that I stretch a little for my Cayman, and I love the car, but sometimes you'd just rather have the extra cash to enjoy life rather than have a big payment for five years (or more). But the way he just is obsessed with the prospect of TESLA! it would be like insulting allah at the center Mecca.

He is not unique. They have so many devotees that it just strike me as impossible they will lose the ability to raise money in the near term. If they issue more stock, my brother and thousands of others will gobble it up. I think they will be able to weather the storm of initial Model 3 delays. I think their future, at least their long term future is how well they work out quality issues, and continue to compete when every maker has nice electric models by the dozen.

As far as my interest goes, I really wish that if they are going to plan 15 new models before they get their sh*t together, they could throw me a bone with a little sports car with a 200 mile range and 4 second 60 for around $40k. I mean if you are going to just throw out vaporware every other day why not tease a mass market sports car instead of a $250k one?
Honestly, Nissan overbuilt the first gen Leaf. I've DD'd mine for 4 years this April. No issues. I'd be steering him in that direction and to get the new Leaf or all new (gen 2) instead. Proven quantity and quality. The only issue I have with mine is the range and that is rectified with the new one. Would save him 20k.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Honestly, Nissan overbuilt the first gen Leaf. I've DD'd mine for 4 years this April. No issues. I'd be steering him in that direction and to get the new Leaf or all new (gen 2) instead. Proven quantity and quality. The only issue I have with mine is the range and that is rectified with the new one. Would save him 20k.
You know I am not even sure of what the biggest motivation for the car is. He does not rave like your standard "save the planet" guy but he has had a Prius for the last 10 years. I am not sure if it is the fact that the Tesla is electric that motivates him, I think it is his fascination of tech and his perception that this model is like driving something from the future. He is a computer programmer, and a first adopter of just about every new thing that comes out short of the google-glass. To him, the Bolt, Volt,, and Leaf are just old news. There is some brand mystique that Tesla seems to command that they can do no wrong. It is cult like. I have told him to try a couple other cars and he shrugs it off. I got him to drive a GTI once and he liked it but the fact he can get the same 0-60 and a really fun, nicely built car for half the price does not interest him. I also don't think it was just the fact that it was electric vs. ICE. It was that it was not a Tesla, and Tesla is the end all-be all.

He bought the Prius and he really thought it was cool for a while, even though he thought it was ugly. He just liked it because at the time it was revolutionary and this seems to have the same appeal.

But I guess I was the same way with wanting a Porsche. Just something about the Cayman I always had to have, other models be damned. I had been laser focused on getting one for a few years and would not consider anything else. Maybe it is genetic. My sister is pig-headed stubborn as a mule as well.

Last edited by vader1; 02-16-2018 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TommyDeVito (02-16-2018)