Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Douche-tastic dealer thread.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I buy most of my cars online, so the price is the genesis of the whole deal. Seems more straight forward this way. No funny business the price today and price later today...
Well yeah, I tried that, but when I showed interest they jacked up the price $2k.

They had it priced at $46k, I offered $45k, they said they could not move on it, so I said "Ok, $46k, can you give me a trade appraisal?" They said "Sure" and then responded that they had raised it to $48k.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
You can always give the sales person money, nothing stops generosity.
well I guess so, I've given some of my older sales reps gift cards for Tim Hortons and small stuff like that. I've just never had a bad experience with the sales reps I've always dealt with , I treat them fairly and they seem to respect that and it mirrors back to me being treated well.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:41 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
well I guess so, I've given some of my older sales reps gift cards for Tim Hortons and small stuff like that. I've just never had a bad experience with the sales reps I've always dealt with , I treat them fairly and they seem to respect that and it mirrors back to me being treated well.
Car buying experience is a little different state side.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I remember when I first dealt with my local Honda dealer, it was a small mom and pop kind of dealer. The grandfather first owned it when I started buying there, then I dealt with his son, and then the grandson worked the sales floor too. Whenever I went into the dealership I'd always see the three generations roaming the floor. The showroom was relatively small, it held maybe 3-4 cars max. They knew me by my first name and I did the same with them. The owners also worked as sales reps, the small number of sales reps they had were career Honda sales reps. The sales transactions were always so simple and smooth and you never felt like they were slipping one by you. The owners were real car guys and they loved my modified Hondas, they always wanted to drive my cars after I modified them, and a few times they wanted to buy my modified Hondas on trade with all of the aftermarket parts on them. When I would tell them that I would return the car to stock on a trade- in they insisted I leave the aftermarket parts on the cars and they wanted to pay extra for them. It was a fun time.

Then they sold the dealership to a new buyer who moved to a new location. They turned it into this huge modern dealership, with dozens of sales reps who get herded through the place like cattle, you rarely see the same sales rep there for more than 6 months. The place is very cold and impersonal, but I guess they sell 10x more cars than the old place ever did, and make a billion dollars a year profit. The sales experience went downhill bigtime.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Well yeah, I tried that, but when I showed interest they jacked up the price $2k.

They had it priced at $46k, I offered $45k, they said they could not move on it, so I said "Ok, $46k, can you give me a trade appraisal?" They said "Sure" and then responded that they had raised it to $48k.
They were really telling you "we don't want your business and car probably has issues..."