Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Evo X

Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Evo X

My buddy just bought a brand new Lancer Evolution GSR about a month ago. He hasn't driven it much, but decided to drive it today. This was the first time I saw it. I was genuinely shocked at how nice the new Evos are, especially the interior. The old interiors were pretty cheap, whereas the new one felt more comfortable and more luxurious. I drove it, keep in mind it still has under 300 miles on it (so I babied it because it is still in the break-in period), and I was really impressed with it. Very quick turbo spool, grippy handling, and really tight gearbox. Only thing I wish it had was a 6th gear, I am spoiled with the S2K. What do you guys think of Evos? Or even STis?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too much computer gadgetry that takes away from the skill of driving for my liking, I'd rather 'drive' fast than sit in a car that 'goes' fast
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Evo and STI are faster, period. If you like the way they look and the way they drive getting one over an S2000 should be a no-brainer. However, I do not like the driving dynamics. I guess I dodged that bullet.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrari812
My buddy just bought a brand new Lancer Evolution GSR about a month ago. He hasn't driven it much, but decided to drive it today. This was the first time I saw it. I was genuinely shocked at how nice the new Evo's are, especially the interior. The old interiors were cheap and crappy, whereas the new one felt more comfortable and more luxurious. I drove it, keep in mind it still has under 300 miles on it (so I babied it because it is still in the break-in period), and I was really impressed with it. Very quick turbo spool, grippy handling, and really tight gearbox. Only thing I wish it had was a 6th gear, I am spoiled with the S2K. What do you guys think of Evo's? Or even STi's?
LOL evo interior, nice? the evo interior is cheap and full of plastic. it may be better than the evo ix but not by much. for a mid 30k car, the interior is seriously lacking. it is obvious where all the money on the car went, the chassis and engine.

ive driven the ix and i loved the steering and quick reflexes. i ve only had a chance to ride in the evo x and it seems to have retained some if not all the characteristics of the previous evo.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new evo is pretty nice. We had a demo unit for the last 7 days. We are doing a nice video of it. it will feature some nice slider videos and driving segments. I owned an 06 IX and did many track days. While the interior wasn't pretty it was very utilitarian and held up well.

the X is much nicer. Compared to other cars in it's price range it's not as nice, but the performance is better then most cars in it's price range so it's a trade off. I would say it's much better and then it used to be and not that far off of say a 328. Two different people own them at work and the evo didn't feel far off.

The X is a great car and if i was looking for a 30ish something sedan it would be first and only choice. YMMV.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised when I drove the Evo X MR. The interior wasn't Audi-esque or anything but I would have had no problem sitting in it for long stints. Great seats, good sight lines, decently build quality and some nice bits of brightwork to spice it up. I'd actually say the BMW is built better but the Evo isn't as bland inside.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari812
I was genuinely shocked at how nice the new Evo's are, especially the interior. The old interiors were cheap and crappy, whereas the new one felt more comfortable and more luxurious.
Are you smoking crack? The worst part of the Evo is the terrible interior quality (well..besides the gas mileage and insurance cost). I wanted to pull the trigger on one but the interior is 12K rental car quality, especially on the GSR. The sunvisor is literally a thin flimsy piece of cardboard wrapped with some cheap vinyl. The shift knob is hideous, the buttons and knobs for the a/c and stereo are bad. The only decent thing about the interior is the Recaro seats. Pretty much a disgrace for a 40K new car.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by Ferrari812' timestamp='1308538876' post='20699159
I was genuinely shocked at how nice the new Evo's are, especially the interior. The old interiors were cheap and crappy, whereas the new one felt more comfortable and more luxurious.
Are you smoking crack? The worst part of the Evo is the terrible interior quality (well..besides the gas mileage and insurance cost). I wanted to pull the trigger on one but the interior is 12K rental car quality, especially on the GSR. The sunvisor is literally a thin flimsy piece of cardboard wrapped with some cheap vinyl. The shift knob is hideous, the buttons and knobs for the a/c and stereo are bad. The only decent thing about the interior is the Recaro seats. Pretty much a disgrace for a 40K new car.
I drove a 2010 evox GSR and I approve this message.

I drove it for 2 days, the gas mileage is shity if you are trying to save fuel, if you have fun in it then you won't see anything above 10mpg. Insurance is ridiculous (21m), interior feels like the chevy aveo I rented a few days ago.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 AM

They seem priced right for the performance, but priced too high for the type of person that would buy one. With that said, if I lived in the snow belt I would probably own one. I hope your friend enjoys and has good luck with his new car.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I just picked up a 2008 STI which is stage 2 and prior to that I owned a S2000 for 8 years which 3 of those years were turboed. I can honestly say that I am very pleased with my STI. It feels just as peppy as my turboed s2k. The handling feels very good too because of the coilovers. Now if I didn't live in South Dakota I would have kept my S2000 but the sti is the next best thing for me.

Quick Reply: Evo X