Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Finally found the one - '11 E90 M3

Old 05-01-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the review! We had owned a E90 330i w/sport package for over 9 years so I know the size constraints but I am not sure how much different it will feel from that car. I can also understand the gas mileage I am hoping one of these cars will get slightly better than my Gmc Duramax which is what I am replacing. For some reason I know the M3 will be the right car but having the 330i for so many years I am just wondering if it will feel any different. The CTS V is a totally different animal which intrigues me because of the fairly bulletproof drivetrain and well cheap hp. I wish I could drive these back to back however closest dealers that may even have them is 400 miles away.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSAK
Thanks for the review! We had owned a E90 330i w/sport package for over 9 years so I know the size constraints but I am not sure how much different it will feel from that car. I can also understand the gas mileage I am hoping one of these cars will get slightly better than my Gmc Duramax which is what I am replacing. For some reason I know the M3 will be the right car but having the 330i for so many years I am just wondering if it will feel any different. The CTS V is a totally different animal which intrigues me because of the fairly bulletproof drivetrain and well cheap hp. I wish I could drive these back to back however closest dealers that may even have them is 400 miles away.
My ex-g/f had an E92 328i w/Sport Pkg (auto, no other options), and I drove it regularly for about 4 years. I would say they drive similarly, but the M3 is just more of everything.

Similar powerband, but obviously much more of it (80% more HP) and a higher redline. Similar great ride/handling balance and poise, but even more so (I'd actually say the M3 in Comfort EDC mode rides better). The adjustable driving parameters and LSD also take the M3 to another level, and it has a completely different suspension geometry. As good as a normal 3-series is, the M engineers scrapped almost everything that relates to driving and started fresh. Go drive one - surely you can find a coupe somewhat nearby, which drives the same (weight difference is like 40lbs). If you liked your 330i, you'll love the M3. My best bud who I mentioned went from chipped 335i >> M3 and says it's a major difference.

The CTS-V felt more like my E39 M5, but amped up. Hilarious torque at any rpm and any gear. Really feels like you're the boss of the road, and made me giggle like a schoolgirl with random stabs of the throttle. But to me it had a really heavy feel (it's ~650lbs heavier than an E90 M3), wasn't as refined, didn't communicate as well, and sounded like a Tahoe (stock, anyway) compared to the Bimmers.