Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

God bless 'Merica! Muscle cars are growing on me fast.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Love my hellcat. It’s a great daily driver.
Not trying to put down a Hellcat, and I know someone who dailys one as well, just not something I could do. Getting 14mpg (maybe if I am lucky) in stop and go and know in the rain I am one pedal stomp from an oak tree would be too much for me. Muscle car maybe, have not wrapped my head around driving a steroid car on a daily basis. I bet leaving the guy a quarter mile behind you on the freeway on ramp is fun though.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I daily a C7Z, but take my truck when it is raining because the vette is treacherous. The tires are just too wide. I didn't know mileage in the hellcat was so poor. It isn't nearly that bad in my car.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The American muscle cars have generally surpassed all other competition in terms of performance. There is no denying it. To beat a Camaro SS 1LE or Mustang GT PP2 or Vette Grand Sport Z07, in terms of actual performance, you have to spend a LOT more money and usually end up with a much less reliable vehicle.

That said, as others have noted, they are still moderately heavy and you can't hide that. A Mustang GT costs about the same as a Miata RF with performance options and they definitely feel way different. But we know which one is fastest in anything except possibly auto-x.

I've loved the SS 1LE since it came out - a friend of mine has one - and would have no issue owning one. I'd be fine with a Mustang GT as well, with Track Pack/PP1 or PP2. That said, they are not tossable, agile cars. They just have incredible mechanical grip and very good chassis' with big tires and so they have a high performance envelope. That's quite a bit different than, say, an S2000 that doesn't have the same mechanical grip or total performance (acceleration or grip) but is more immediate and tossable. All of the above are fun; they just do it differently.

It's all about what you want in a car. For me, I'm leaning more towards lighter, more fun cars these days, rather than bigger, more powerful (and capable) cars. Something in between, like a Cayman or Boxster, really is the best choice, for me. 300-ish hp, 3000-ish lbs is the sweet spot....
^ This x1000. I've driven all of the modern muscle cars available in search of the perfect car, but each time I'd walk away feeling like something was missing. The problem for me is that their performance limits are so high, that they can't be reached during the daily commute. At least not without risking death or some serious jail time. When you're forced to drive a fast car slow, the experience becomes frustrating and boring. Ultimately you realize that big power and big weight are not nearly as pleasurable as light-weight, tossable, moderately powerful cars that offer driving engagement over brute force. A Cayman S equivalent with a stick, warranty, ~350hp, for $35k is the car I'm searching for but still haven't found..
Old 09-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Not trying to put down a Hellcat, and I know someone who dailys one as well, just not something I could do. Getting 14mpg (maybe if I am lucky) in stop and go and know in the rain I am one pedal stomp from an oak tree would be too much for me. Muscle car maybe, have not wrapped my head around driving a steroid car on a daily basis. I bet leaving the guy a quarter mile behind you on the freeway on ramp is fun though.
You're missing out. Who cares about MPG? Seriously? Buy a Prius... or plant some trees.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by asrautox
^ This x1000. I've driven all of the modern muscle cars available in search of the perfect car, but each time I'd walk away feeling like something was missing. The problem for me is that their performance limits are so high, that they can't be reached during the daily commute. At least not without risking death or some serious jail time. When you're forced to drive a fast car slow, the experience becomes frustrating and boring. Ultimately you realize that big power and big weight are not nearly as pleasurable as light-weight, tossable, moderately powerful cars that offer driving engagement over brute force. A Cayman S equivalent with a stick, warranty, ~350hp, for $35k is the car I'm searching for but still haven't found..
There is something fun about rowing 4 gears floored and still not breaking 80. Then you get behind the wheel of real muscle and that single shift is still more fun. I touch triples most days. No tickets.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

You're missing out. Who cares about MPG? Seriously? Buy a Prius... or plant some trees.
Rob no offense but really? Plant some trees. Geez.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito

Rob no offense but really? Plant some trees. Geez.
Plant some trees, and buy a Prius. Don't tell me you didn't laugh?

Saying you wouldn't daily a super car because of MPG has got to be one of the lamest things you could say and claim to be a car person. The financial and enviornmental impact is also nearly moot, but I don't want to get into that. Fix commercial use of fuel first.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

There is something fun about rowing 4 gears floored and still not breaking 80. Then you get behind the wheel of real muscle and that single shift is still more fun. I touch triples most days. No tickets.
I have owned a high powered (modded) car that was pretty quick and yeah it is fun, the problem I have, and we are talking about personal preference here, to each their own, I find a car to be a lot less fun when my major impression of the car is that it feels "big". I have only sat in a Challenger at the auto show, and I thought that it was HUGE. I drove the last gen Camaro, decent car, but it felt big, the newer one is supposed to be better in that respect, have not drive one yet. Not really what most people cross shop but I am lookin M240i, Camaro/Mustang, and a Miata. Kind of a goofy set of cars.

As far as mileage goes, I need it to be tolerable and that means low twenties. You may find it a lame excuse, but I can have a car that hauls ass and gets high twenties to low thirties or one that gets half that, it does not make much sense to me unless it is wayyyy more fun. I can afford the gas if I am looking at getting a third car for giggles, but it just becomes pointless to keep filling large tanks of premium and getting 14mpg unless the fun factor is way better. And from the experience I have had with big fast heavy cars and fast little cars is that to me anyway, the big fast ones don't offer enough to justify just burning gas for the sake of it. If it does for you, cool. And I actually prefer the little tossable ones anyway.

Last edited by vader1; 09-22-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I have owned a high powered (modded) car that was pretty quick and yeah it is fun, the problem I have, and we are talking about personal preference here, to each their own, I find a car to be a lot less fun when my major impression of the car is that it feels "big". I have only sat in a Challenger at the auto show, and I thought that it was HUGE. I drove the last gen Camaro, decent car, but it felt big, the newer one is supposed to be better in that respect, have not drive one yet. Not really what most people cross shop but I am lookin M240i, Camaro/Mustang, and a Miata. Kind of a goofy set of cars.

As far as mileage goes, I need it to be tolerable and that means low twenties. You may find it a lame excuse, but I can have a car that hauls ass and gets high twenties to low thirties or one that gets half that, it does not make much sense to me unless it is wayyyy more fun. I can afford the gas if I am looking at getting a third car for giggles, but it just becomes pointless to keep filling large tanks of premium and getting 14mpg unless the fun factor is way better. And from the experience I have had with big fast heavy cars and fast little cars is that to me anyway, the big fast ones don't offer enough to justify just burning gas for the sake of it. If it does for you, cool. And I actually prefer the little tossable ones anyway.
I really get it. That's why you need to own multiple cars. My hellcat is by no means a corner carver. It's an awesome daily driver that can bring my family and their stuff with me in a manual v8 rocket. I've been getting around 17-18 with mixed driving, that drops fast when I get into it.

For me there is just something really enjoyable about this car, the formula and how it looks. Even with it's weigh, on some curves in the mountains a few weeks ago I was pushing on a average skilled sport bike rider. He was touching pegs and burning shoes trying to get away from me. Afterwards he commented he didn't think that big car could drive like that. There is no getting around it's size or weight, but I like that for what it is.

I think if you put in your garage say the GT350 or a GT4 you'd have the best of both worlds. Gas mileage on those isn't going to be in the zone you're looking for either though. Not sure what very performance oriented car is getting mid-20's aside from the Corvette.

As for small cars I picked up a little 3 series to oocationally commute to work in and take the beating of bad roads/weather. It sure is small. I feel like I'm driving a toy car in comparison.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

In a same boat right now, itching for a v8,

was looking for a lexus IS-F due to the 'jdm' factor, but after seeing used ones fetching 35k+ with 80k miles, makes more sense to buy a 16' maro SS with a manual for high 20's.

Quick Reply: God bless 'Merica! Muscle cars are growing on me fast.